D&D 5E Scooping morrus on the site

Actually, the full write up could be sitting on his desk write now. Mearls could be tossing it out there like it hasn't been created yet and it's in the "maybe" stage.

Nobody knows.

I think if you met Mike or Steve you'd find that they're just gamers like the rest of us and really like D&D. They happen to be making a living at it, which is pretty cool. In fact I have it on good authority they are totally cool people. Granted they aren't supposed blab out everything they're up to, but you know 95% of the reason for that is just that a lot of what they work on is tentative or might change, or tied into bigger things outside of the game dev side of things. If they start blabbing about it then something changes, then everyone is running around gnashing teeth, etc. I very seriously doubt any of them has ever or will ever lie to or deceive anyone for any sum of money (surely not any sum you can get in the world of RPGs). If Steve says X, then its X, and that's really it. Could be there are things he hasn't said, but there is zero chance he's going to come here and say something with the INTENT that it will be interpreted to mean something different than the plain words.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
“ [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] : Heard some weird 5E rumors from sources I'm inclined to trust - yet unable to verify. I'd dismiss them except that source is trustworthy.”

Normally, I would discount such rumors. However, I've also heard the same rumor from a trustworthy industry insider.

Thing is, how much of this is truth and how much is industry-level gossip?

Jack99

Adventurer
Thanks for stopping by and clarifying things, Trevor. Please don't ever let the flamers and trolls over here discourage you from posting and keeping the rest of us informed.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Normally, I would discount such rumors. However, I've also heard the same rumor from a trustworthy industry insider.

Thing is, how much of this is truth and how much is industry-level gossip?

What kind of stuff have you been hearing?

That it is in development?

delericho

Legend
In all honesty, it would have been better if you had kept silent because now that you said something it looks like because someone like Morrus heard something and actually put it out there that you are trying to dismiss it because he could have heard more than just a rumor.

Unfortunately, this is not true.

When 4e was announced, there was a storm of "Wizards lied!" accusations, because for months they'd been saying "we're not working on Fourth Edition..."

Anyway, it turned out that this was a partial quote. What they'd actually been saying was "we're not working on a Fourth Edition that requires miniatures." That distinction was pretty important. (And, indeed, the WotC reps at the time noted that they had been choosing their words very carefully.)

Frankly, saying what they did was a mistake - even after the investigations were done, the "Wizards lied" thing didn't die. In fact, there are still people who believe it. (And, of course, they'd painted themselves into a corner - they couldn't clarify the misquotes because that would confirm 4e early; but failing to do so led to the problems that ensued.)

So, in this instance, it is better for WotC to speak up, rather than suffer another backlash.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I think if you met Mike or Steve you'd find that they're just gamers like the rest of us and really like D&D. They happen to be making a living at it, which is pretty cool. In fact I have it on good authority they are totally cool people. Granted they aren't supposed blab out everything they're up to, but you know 95% of the reason for that is just that a lot of what they work on is tentative or might change, or tied into bigger things outside of the game dev side of things. If they start blabbing about it then something changes, then everyone is running around gnashing teeth, etc. I very seriously doubt any of them has ever or will ever lie to or deceive anyone for any sum of money (surely not any sum you can get in the world of RPGs). If Steve says X, then its X, and that's really it. Could be there are things he hasn't said, but there is zero chance he's going to come here and say something with the INTENT that it will be interpreted to mean something different than the plain words.

What does being cool have to do with the whole argument?

Here is the bottom line. Unless you work for Wizards, you don't know the percentage of what they tell you. If it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside to think that you are always told everything then you hold on to that, but don't expect everyone else to feel that way. You don't have a list to where you can check off everything that has been said against everything that has not been said and come up with your figures. You are just as much in the dark as everyone else is.

Now for posters that are implying that it's rude when you don't believe someone needs a reality check. Just because he/she works for Wizards doesn't make him immune to anything. This isn't a Wizards website, this is a website for "all" games.

Now did I get on and start calling him a liar? Nope not at all because he may be telling the truth, but I just don't believe we are hearing everything.

It is my right to feel that way. I haven't broken the code of conduct by saying that I don't agree with him, nor have I been taking any shots at him personally.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
What kind of stuff have you been hearing?

That it is in development?

That it was in development, and that it might be announced at GenCon (which didn't happen, of course).

The tone of the WotC staff at the new product seminar when asked about 5e kind of leads me to believe otherwise. Check out The Tome Show for a recap.

Really, all I can say is that there's an industry-level rumor. I would approach this cautiously.

Shroomy

Adventurer
The question would be who is developing 5e at this time? The staff they laid off? The guys working on the boardgames and skirmish games (who are also key RPG designers)? The guys promoted to managerial positions?

MrMyth

First Post
Thus far, every single 5E rumor that has cropped up in the last few days has involved folks saying, "I heard this from some other guy. But it's cool, its a pretty reliable source." And then no actual details or names are ever provided.

All that I've learned from this is that I've now got a list of quite a few ENWorld posters that I can consider unreliable sources. >_>

malraux

First Post
Now did I get on and start calling him a liar? Nope not at all because he may be telling the truth, but I just don't believe we are hearing everything.

I'm not saying you're a troll, I'm just saying that every topic you post in become inflamed with off-topic emotional responses.

All that I've learned from this is that I've now got a list of quite a few ENWorld posters that I can consider unreliable sources.
Yeah, that's what I've gathered as well. Though I suspect that every E3 lead up hears rumors of the xbox 720, every theater owners conference has rumors of the upcoming Imax 5d projector with motion seat technology, etc. All from a friend who's a reliable source inside the industry mind you, so you better believe it.

Remove ads