D&D 5E Scooping morrus on the site

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
To make a long story short, I believe that 5th edition is around the corner and I believe that Morrus may have heard a spec of truth. Now if it turns out to be false then it's no big deal and I am wrong, wouldn't be the first or the last time. If it is true then great! I can't wait to play it.

I believe what I want to believe and if I am wrong then I will admit that I was and continue on.

To make a long story short, I believe that 5th edition is around the corner and I believe that Morrus may have heard a spec of truth. Now if it turns out to be false then it's no big deal and I am wrong, wouldn't be the first or the last time. If it is true then great! I can't wait to play it.

I believe what I want to believe and if I am wrong then I will admit that I was and continue on.

Sure, but then you have to square that with what Steve said here. You kinda can't have it both ways. Either Morrus's rumor is correct and Steve is outright lying, or Morrus's rumor is incorrect and Steve is telling the truth. I realize Steve showed up and made a statement after other people said things based on the OP, but at this point we have 2 choices, rumor dispelled, or WotC deliberately sends out its employees to flat out lie to the gaming public. That later also would mean that all the OTHER statements made by Mike et al about NOT keeping such things secret and NOT making any statements that would be taken as meaning they were springing something on people would ALSO have to be lies.

It isn't actually that I personally think you're in any way trying to call people liars. I just think your extreme skepticism has reached the realm of vast cynicism about people that IME don't deserve that at all. When Steve says something outright in no uncertain terms I think there's at this point in time a 0.0000% chance it is BS. The only really logical conclusion right now is that whatever Morrus et al have heard is just wrong. Someone heard something and took it to mean what they wanted to hear, someone made something up, etc. I don't know who the people this is coming from are, so I'd have not the slightest idea how reliable they are. OTOH I can count on the reliability of Steve, if for no other reason than his post, if inaccurate, would be the most monumental error in judgment, and an error they've specifically stated they won't ever make again. It simply can't add up in any other sensible way than 'rumors are generally BS'.

I wonder if the new skirmish game was talked about as a new edition of ddm then so
Done miss heard it as a simple new edition... Witch if you heard mike meadow talking and all u heard was " we can hardly wait to see people react to the new edition " what would u think?

It really could be a simple miss understanding... And once these rumors start they take on a life of there own.

Dannager

First Post

The rapture will happen tomorrow, for sure. Always tomorrow.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Sure, but then you have to square that with what Steve said here. You kinda can't have it both ways. Either Morrus's rumor is correct and Steve is outright lying, or Morrus's rumor is incorrect and Steve is telling the truth. I realize Steve showed up and made a statement after other people said things based on the OP, but at this point we have 2 choices, rumor dispelled, or WotC deliberately sends out its employees to flat out lie to the gaming public. That later also would mean that all the OTHER statements made by Mike et al about NOT keeping such things secret and NOT making any statements that would be taken as meaning they were springing something on people would ALSO have to be lies.

It isn't actually that I personally think you're in any way trying to call people liars. I just think your extreme skepticism has reached the realm of vast cynicism about people that IME don't deserve that at all. When Steve says something outright in no uncertain terms I think there's at this point in time a 0.0000% chance it is BS. The only really logical conclusion right now is that whatever Morrus et al have heard is just wrong. Someone heard something and took it to mean what they wanted to hear, someone made something up, etc. I don't know who the people this is coming from are, so I'd have not the slightest idea how reliable they are. OTOH I can count on the reliability of Steve, if for no other reason than his post, if inaccurate, would be the most monumental error in judgment, and an error they've specifically stated they won't ever make again. It simply can't add up in any other sensible way than 'rumors are generally BS'.

Even longer story short, we will wait and see. You see, companies are protected by that little thing called "change at anytime". This means that companies can something is coming out or it isn't and things change. Do we call them liars? Well some people see it that way, others see it as business. Sure, things happen and things change. What about all those products that were canceled? Do we call Wizards a liar because of this? No I wouldn't say so.

You aren't seeing the picture for what it really is. You think those people at Wizards are supposed to be taking what I say personally, like I am actually taking hits at them. I'm not, I'm just stating that I believe there is more going on than what is being told. Companies don't always tells all of their employees what is going on.

Again, we can just sit back and wait and see what happens.

malraux

First Post
Again, we can just sit back and wait and see what happens.

Nitpick: You won't sit back, wait and see though. You'll jump on every rumor you hear, post inflammatory blog posts, and generally snipe on the rumor of 5e being right around the corner. Or at least that's what you've done so far. You don't get to pretend to be above it all while also being right in the thick of it. Sure, sitting back and waiting is cool, but you aren't sitting back and waiting.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Nitpick: You won't sit back, wait and see though. You'll jump on every rumor you hear, post inflammatory blog posts, and generally snipe on the rumor of 5e being right around the corner. Or at least that's what you've done so far. You don't get to pretend to be above it all while also being right in the thick of it. Sure, sitting back and waiting is cool, but you aren't sitting back and waiting.

I think you have the wrong notion of what an inflammatory post is. If I see things that hint towards a new edition you damn right I will jump on it. Posting something you don't like or agree with has nothing to do with inflammatory or trolling. I think those words get thrown around a little to easy now a days. It's like the go to words when you don't agree with someone but you can't come up with an argument to put them in their place so you call them trolls or accuse them of being inflammatory.

Here is the thing. If you don't like what I post then put me on ignore or don't read my posts. Nobody forces you to hit that post button and nobody forces you to come to my threads. Now if you feel like you have to go out of your way to defend something then you go right ahead, but you might want to keep yourself in check.

delericho

Legend
Even longer story short, we will wait and see. You see, companies are protected by that little thing called "change at anytime". This means that companies can something is coming out or it isn't and things change. Do we call them liars?

The difference is that here the Wizards Rep isn't talking about future plans, he's talking about something that (didn't) happen in the past. So, barring the very unlikely possibility that he was misinformed, either what he's saying is true or he is lying.

Well some people see it that way, others see it as business. Sure, things happen and things change. What about all those products that were canceled? Do we call Wizards a liar because of this? No I wouldn't say so.

You would be wrong. Again, WotC were very widely accused of lying about 4e back when they announced it. There are still people who believe it, even after the exact details were hunted up and posted. (And I should know - I'm the guy who hunted up those details and was forced into a rather embarrasing apology as a result.)

Honestly, I expected 5e to be announced. I'm a little disappointed that it was not. But it wasn't, and when the Wizards Rep indicates that there was no cancelled announcement, I have no reason to doubt him. It would seem that Morrus' "reliable source" simply got it wrong. It happens.

Riastlin

First Post
The difference is that here the Wizards Rep isn't talking about future plans, he's talking about something that (didn't) happen in the past. So, barring the very unlikely possibility that he was misinformed, either what he's saying is true or he is lying.

Honestly, I expected 5e to be announced. I'm a little disappointed that it was not. But it wasn't, and when the Wizards Rep indicates that there was no cancelled announcement, I have no reason to doubt him. It would seem that Morrus' "reliable source" simply got it wrong. It happens.

This is important to keep in mind for when 5ed is inevitably announced: the Rep here didn't say "there is no 5ed in the works". He said "we announced everything we intended to". Two VERY different things. The fact that there wasn't a cancelled announcement at the last minute doesn't mean that the rumor about 5ed is false.

The problem with statements like "5ed is right around the corner" is that these types of statements are inherently correct and largely meaningless at the same time. "Right around the corner" is vague and everyone has different interpretations of what that means. For some, right around the corner means January. For others, it could mean "within the next 3 years". Both are relatively short time periods depending on how you look at things.

I am sure that they are working on 5ed. This is because the moment the designs for 4ed were finalized (meaning the ruleset, etc.) WotC employees no doubt started at least thinking about what changes they would like to see made for the next edition. I am sure the design decisions for 4ed were not unanimous after all. When an R&D guy though starts thinking about the next edition, he is inherently working on said next edition. Combine that with the fact that a 5ed is almost inevitable as it increases profits with new book sales (at least in a short term) and its easy to say "they are working on 5th Ed."

Thing is though, you have to then take what Mearls said at the product announcement seminar. He remarked specifically about the way in which 4ed was handled with its announcement and how they don't want to repeat that mistake. I was at GenCon when they announced 4th Ed. (not at the seminar but in the Sagamore right after it) and the only thing that saved WotC (from what I saw) was the excitement over the digital tools. The general reaction to a new edition though was far from positive. Well, they can't rely on the digital tools for their 5th Ed. Announcement.

So, we can assume that they won't try to mislead us (per their words) and spring it on us as a surprise. Lets combine that with their history of a) preferring to announce it at a major convention, b) preferring to have several months of advanced previews of the new system prior to release and c) preferring to have the new system out at least a couple months before Gen Con so that players can be familiar with the system, and you have a recipe that largely suggests a Gen Con announcement. This is the main reason why I say it will be 2013 at the earliest that we see 5ed. (realizing of course that this is all speculation).

So [MENTION=91812]ForeverSlayer[/MENTION]: perhaps you can assuage some of the back and forth here by clarifying what you mean by "around the corner". If your definition puts 2013 within that time frame I think a lot more people would be on board. To me personally (and again this is just my personal opinion) "around the corner" would mean within the next year.

Remove ads