• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Scorching hot dice

wedgeski

Adventurer
Sunday's 5E game: my paladin, surprised and swarmed by stirges, drained into unconsciousness almost immediately. Rolls a death save.

Nat 20. On your feet soldier.

Moves to assist his bardic ally. Nat 20. Explodes a stirge. (Yeah, they only have a couple of hit points, what of it?)

Attacked again. Drained into a stupor. Rolls a death save.

Nat 20. You can't keep him down.

Moves to assist his clerical ally. Nat 20.

That's four in a row, people!

Anyone else have tales of scorching hot dice?

sithramir

First Post
A Nat 20 would count as 2 death saves but not a third and he would only become stable and not conscious? I'm confused or do you have a house rule?

wedgeski

Adventurer
A Nat 20 would count as 2 death saves but not a third and he would only become stable and not conscious? I'm confused or do you have a house rule?
We play a nat 20 Death Save as bringing you to 1 HP, and therefore consciousness. I don't have my rule-book to double-check that is correct, but even if it wasn't, I would certainly house rule it in.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
We play a nat 20 Death Save as bringing you to 1 HP, and therefore consciousness. I don't have my rule-book to double-check that is correct, but even if it wasn't, I would certainly house rule it in.

That's not a house rule, it's the rules.

I have seen hot and cold rolls in the past. Not four 20s in a row though. I did roll two 1s on death saves in a row and my PC died last week.

There was someone on the boards about a decade ago claiming to have rolled seven 20s in a row. At 1,280,000,000 to 1 against, that's lower than the odds of winning the powerball lottery at ~175,200,000 to 1.

cpendlet

First Post
I think I have had 3 20's in a row before as a player (one was the init roll so only 2 crit attacks). I've had 4 in a row as a DM (all on different characters so I did not even managed to get any one knocked unconscious - kind of disappointing really).

I have also rolled 5 1s in a row (all attacks). This was back in 2nd edition and the DM liked the drop your weapon on a natural 1 optional rule. That was a bad day for Phaton Heavyblade (I think that is how I spelled his name). I think the party wizard ended up dying.

One of my players had three 1s in a row in our last session. Fortunately, his character managed to remain conscious all the way, or he'd probably be dead by now. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads