• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Scorching hot dice

Astrosicebear

First Post
In a fight in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, my party (down to only rogue and barbarian) was facing Langdregosa and Mondath in the cave. Lang had cornered the rogue, who promptly fell to his breath weapon. The halfing rolled his death save... 1...re-roll 1's, 20. Stand up. His action, roll to hit, 1...reroll 1's..20. Dead Langdregosa. Epic win.

PnPgamer

Explorer
uhh last game I think I rolled 20 on all my skill checks. They were few, but it was like 3-4. Also my wild sorcerer explodes as a fireball... a lot.

Taronkov

Explorer
I can go the other way. My Paladin/Warlock rolled 5 1's in a row in the fight with Cyanwrath, first two were attack rolls, third was a save to avoid his breath weapon and the last two were attack rolls. I was ready to turn my d20 into slag.

I cannot remember any recent 'on fire rolls' recently, but I will always remember one from school. I was at a boarding school, so DnD was great, stuck in the same place with your buddies 24/7! So we had a tight crew of DnDers, but heaps of other people tried. Including Daniel, who was the biggest guy of my year. 1st XV team (think College team US football) in his 3rd year there etc. So he rolls up a PC, I honestly cannot remember what we were using but I think it was 4d6 drop 1. Anyway fist roll 18, I'll put that in Strength, rolls 00 (this is 1E) :cool:, then proceeds to roll 2 other 18s, and the other 3 were 14 or more.

Played one session and decided wasn't for him. Us DnD geeks cried over wasted stats!

Last edited:

transtemporal

Explorer
Anyone else have tales of scorching hot dice?

Yes, but unfortunately it was the dm. It was either 3 crits in one round, or two rounds. Full hp to 2 on a 20 AC character. I thought he was kidding on the 3rd. 2 crits, ok thats unlikely but possible. 3 is just ridiculous. I think I might've told him to :):):):) off, lol.

ProphetSword

Explorer
I've seen the opposite (ice cold dice). Back in the good old days when you had to make saving throws for your items.

A guy I knew was playing a Paladin with a host of +5 weapons and armor (this was a high level 2E game). During an encounter with a dragon, he took a face full of fire breath. He had to save for his items, which could only be destroyed on a 1. So, he got six of them...in a row.

Three years later, same guy, same character. Another dragon. He had spent a ton of time and money getting back a bunch of his items. He reminded everyone how awful he had done the last time...and then proceeded to roll five 1s in a row and lose almost all his stuff again.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. As the DM, I just had to giggle. Is that mean?

Evenglare

Adventurer
If your d20 rolled 5 20s or 1s odds are it's faulty dice. Simple percentage calculation will tell you that. I don't believe ANYONE is that lucky.

Rune

Once A Fool
Most of my luck is reserved for pivotal battles in Axis & Allies. And it's mostly bad, then. Like, why-do-I-bother-doing-the-math-bad.

For D&D, I once had a d20 that liked to kill the characters of players named Mike. Two such players, multiple character deaths.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads