D&D 5E Scott Rouse and D&D Team on 5th Edition ("satire")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
And not only that, but this is EXACTLY the kind of reason the WotC guys were not here at ENWorld for a while.

Because everything they said, they got treated like dirt for. They weren't treated like other board members with any respect and so, they stopped coming around here and posting.

Now that we're FINALLY getting past that point and these guys are coming back here again, we do not need to just drive them right back off again.
While I did find the original post mildly funny (although it could have been a little more obviously satirical, it did take a few moments for me to realize this was meant as humor), I do see how posting it on ENWorld might be the wrong venue for that humor.

I'm glad we have the WotC folks on the boards again. I may feel negatively about their choice to announce 4e after recently making statements that it was a long ways off, but I know they have their bosses at Hasbro to account to and they have their reasons (even if I may not agree with them).

However, when they announced 4e, they should have expected a firestorm and that they'd get the entire range of replies, including a few very negative ones. Hopefully this will not chase them away.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Its not humour to some of us who've seen Razz just constantly screaming about how horrible 4e is going to be over and ove rand over.

There are steps you can take if you feel any member of the community is writing things you would care not to read.

SavageRobby

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Its not humour to some of us who've seen Razz just constantly screaming about how horrible 4e is going to be over and ove rand over.

As for the WotC guys...we don't treat other board members here like that, why should they be different? You attack another member here, even in satire, and that's against the rules. Its the same for the WotC guys. Its one thing to not like the decisions or the books, but don't attack the people themselves.

Seems pretty simple to me (simpler than 4e purports to be, even!); if you see a thread by him, don't read it. :)

As for "attacks" - I didn't find anything in there particularly attacking. Satirical, yes, but I've seen posts in the same tenor other topics, too. Perhaps it isn't the WotC guys that are thin-skinned, after all.

(And BTW, I don't find it any accident that the WotC crew started posting here again at about the same time that Dungeon and Dragon magazines were killed, and shortly before the 4e release. Do you? I'd guess that has a lot less to do with how they're treated than the information they have to disseminate, but I might be a tad cynical in such things.)

Shadeydm

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
And not only that, but this is EXACTLY the kind of reason the WotC guys were not here at ENWorld for a while.

Because everything they said, they got treated like dirt for. They weren't treated like other board members with any respect and so, they stopped coming around here and posting.

Now that we're FINALLY getting past that point and these guys are coming back here again, we do not need to just drive them right back off again.

Yes god forbid any do anything but tow the party line when WotC posts anything. /boggle

Shadeydm

First Post
SavageRobby said:
Seems pretty simple to me (simpler than 4e purports to be, even!); if you see a thread by him, don't read it. :)

As for "attacks" - I didn't find anything in there particularly attacking. Satirical, yes, but I've seen posts in the same tenor other topics, too. Perhaps it isn't the WotC guys that are thin-skinned, after all.

(And BTW, I don't find it any accident that the WotC crew started posting here again at about the same time that Dungeon and Dragon magazines were killed, and shortly before the 4e release. Do you? I'd guess that has a lot less to do with how they're treated than the information they have to disseminate, but I might be a tad cynical in such things.)

QTF!

Shadeydm said:
Yes god forbid any do anything but tow the party line when WotC posts anything. /boggle
Again...there's a difference here. You can not like WotC all you want. Or like them.

But the second you start going after the people themselves you're crossing a line. I'm sorry, but for all the time I've been on ENWorld, I've never seen it being treated as acceptable to attack people directly, especially members of this board, employees of other companies or not.

Its not about being thin skinned or anything like that. Its about actually having a place where people can feel welcome. And when you go after the people, even in so-called satire, that's not welcoming at all. In fact, its insulting.

Shadeydm

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Again...there's a difference here. You can not like WotC all you want. Or like them.

But the second you start going after the people themselves you're crossing a line. I'm sorry, but for all the time I've been on ENWorld, I've never seen it being treated as acceptable to attack people directly, especially members of this board, employees of other companies or not.

Its not about being thin skinned or anything like that. Its about actually having a place where people can feel welcome. And when you go after the people, even in so-called satire, that's not welcoming at all. In fact, its insulting.

Satire (from Latin satura, not from the greek mythological figure satyr[1]) is a literary genre, chiefly literary and dramatic, in which human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, or other methods, sometimes with an intent to bring about improvement.[2] It is used in graphic arts and performing arts as well. Although satire is usually witty, and often very funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humour but criticism of an event, an individual or a group in a clever manner.

Sounds like satire to me. /shrug

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Here's a final warning: do not cast aspersions toward other board members or ascribe motives to them.

--Dinkeldog/Moderator

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
SavageRobby said:
Actually, I believe it was more in line with having to do damage control due to how poorly it was originally handled than shilling for 4E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads