• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scourge of the Howling Horde

Vocenoctum

First Post
Glyfair said:
I looked at this last evening and I think I realized what happened here. It seemed it was produced with a colored background that WotC is so fond of. This might have been too bad, but some management type seems to have decided they could save some money by having it produced with B&W printing instead of color printing. Instead of checking to see if it was appropriate, the changed was just OKed and we ended up with nearly unreadable areas of the adventure.

Right, Ravenloft has Delve scenes in a different color. It looks like they just clicked "Grayscale" on Howling Horde and neglected to see if they were actually capable of being read anymore. :)

It's like some of the stylized fonts White Wolf has used, InsanoFonts that make it more of a chore to read the product than it's worth.

Arnwyn

First Post
MerricB said:
There are nice opportunities for combat and roleplaying within.

The primary flaws in the product are
a) it's pretty short
b) the backgrounds are too dark, interfering with the legibility of the text
c) it's the first 32-page adventure with the new cost of $15, making it seem very expensive
I'd like to echo MerricB's comments, as they nearly duplicate mine.

Overall, though, I was quite disappointed in this product - it was way too short for the asking price.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Arnwyn said:
I'd like to echo MerricB's comments, as they nearly duplicate mine.

Overall, though, I was quite disappointed in this product - it was way too short for the asking price.
I'm lucky enough, I used it to hit $30 at Buy.com for $10 off, so the cost isn't a factor for me.

I was much more disappointed in Cityscape than Howling Horde, though both are probably equally useless to me.

Vocenoctum said:
I'm lucky enough, I used it to hit $30 at Buy.com for $10 off, so the cost isn't a factor for me.

I was much more disappointed in Cityscape than Howling Horde, though both are probably equally useless to me.

What were you disappointed in Cityscape about?

(Apologies for the threadjack)

Olaf the Stout

Vocenoctum

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
What were you disappointed in Cityscape about?

(Apologies for the threadjack)

Olaf the Stout

Just didn't read well, and most of the stuff that might come in useful (such as say, diseases based on sanitation) are things I'd never use in a game anyway. A few PrC's that don't do it for me, and a bunch of rules for guilds and stuff that I don't need either. It's not that the book is bad, so much as for me it's bland and doesn't have anything useful for my campaign.

Remove ads