D&D 5E Scout fighter archetype

peterka99

First Post
I would like to present you a new archetype for d&D 5th edition. What is your opinion ?

Scout Fighter archetype: A fighter without divine mission, for those who don't like spellcasting or prefered enemies. Pick a few ranger, rogue and bard abilities and some "utilities" feats without ability raise.

The focus is skills and feats usage. The scouts are an ultimate jack-of-all-trades, since they travel a lot and observe a lot of cultures.

Suggested feats: skulker, sharpshooter and mobile

talents: The regular feats without the stat increase, A little twist of the rules
keen mind, observer, athlete, actor

archetype levels:

3……..Archetype feature: Natural explorer (ranger), one new talent, 2 extra skills (ranger's list)
7…….. Archetype feature: expertise (rogue), Natural explorer improvement (ranger), one new talent
10….. Archetype feature: jack of all trades (bard), Natural explorer improvement (ranger)
15….. archetype feature- Reliable talent (rogue), use magic device (rogue)
18…. Archetype feature: One new talent, expertise (rogue)

All fighter levels

Regular fighter- style

Regular fighter- action surge

Archetype feature: Natural explorer, one new talent, 2 extra skills (ranger's list)

ability raise or feat

Extra attack

ability raise or feat

Archetype feature: expertise, Natural explorer improvement, one new talent

ability raise or feat

indomitable (1 use)

Archetype feature: jack of all trades, Natural explorer improvement

Extra Attack (2),

ability raise or feat

indomitable (2 uses)

ability raise or feat

archetype feature- Reliable talent, use magic device

ability raise or feat

Action surge (2 uses), indomitable (3 uses)

Archetype feature: One new talent, expertise

ability raise or feat

Extra attack (3)

Your opinion ?

MrMyth

First Post
I would like to present you a new archetype for d&D 5th edition. What is your opinion ?

Scout Fighter archetype: A fighter without divine mission, for those who don't like spellcasting or prefered enemies. Pick a few ranger, rogue and bard abilities and some "utilities" feats without ability raise.

Hmm. Not sure I'm a fan - it feels quite a bit like cherry-picking a lot of key abilities from those other classes and tossing them onto the already strong Fighter design, and then tossing in even more feats, for a class that already gets the most.

Personally, I think the build would be much better as an archetype for another class. Ranger seems like an obvious fit, but you want to avoid casting, which is perfectly reasonable. That leaves Rogue - and Scout actually works quite well there. It adds a... less morally gray option for Rogues who don't want to be Thieves or Assassins, and also fits with how the Scout class in previous editions was often a Rogue variant.

peterka99

First Post
Hmm. That leaves Rogue - and Scout actually works quite well there. It adds a... less morally gray option for Rogues who don't want to be Thieves or Assassins, and also fits with how the Scout class in previous editions was often a Rogue variant.

Sure, but I don't want sneak attacks, and a rogue without it is worthless in combat, which is still the prime in D&D 5th...

collin

Explorer
Sure, but I don't want sneak attacks, and a rogue without it is worthless in combat, which is still the prime in D&D 5th...

I like the idea of a scout as that was one of my favorite classes from 3.5e, but I tend to agree that a rogue or ranger would be a better fit as an archetype than a fighter. You say you don't want sneak attacks, but the scouts in 3.5e had a Skirmish ability that was basically a ranged sneak attack ability. However, you're entitled to create what you think is best for your game. I tend to agree with MrMyth in that what you proposed seems cherry-picked and a little over-powerful. Perhaps add some restrictions to being able to become a scout (e.g., limited weapons list, certain stat qualifiers, etc.)?

peterka99

First Post
as rogue- no further sneak attacks after level 2, another twist of the rules...

3 Archetype feature: Natural explorer, all martial weapons proficiencies, medium armors
7 Archetype feature: Extra attack (1), Natural explorer improvement, one new talent
10 Archetype feature: jack of all trades, Natural explorer improvement, one new talent
15 archetype feature- extra attack (2)
18 Archetype feature: Two new talents

as a rogue , sneak attacks as Skirmish ranged attacks only. Weaker... I added a feature to be able to use ranged weapons on melee (see crossbow expert feat)

3 Archetype feature: Natural explorer, all martial weapons proficiencies, Can use ranged attack within 5' without disadvantage. limitation: further sneak attacks as Skirmish ranged attacks only
7 Archetype feature: Natural explorer improvement, one new talent
10 Archetype feature: jack of all trades, Natural explorer improvement
15 One new talent
18 Archetype feature: Two new talents

Last edited:

MrMyth

First Post
The big issue I'm seeing, honestly, is that there isn't much of a theme here, outside of "get lots of skills and feats". I like the idea, say, of having a non-casting ranger by adding some exploration abilities onto the fighter or rogue. But I think what would be best is supplementing that with some unique capabilities, rather than just piling in Expertise and Bonus Feats.

So, what is it you see the Scout as being good at? I don't think just being generically versatile is enough to build an archetype from. Instead, I'd try to focus on some other thematic elements. The 3.5 Scout had a heavy focus on mobility, for example.

Remove ads