• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scout, Tempest, Dervish build?

slingbld

Explorer
Anyone have any good build that may incorporate the Scout core class & the Temest from C. Adventurer as well as the Dervish from C. Warrior?

I seem to think there is a really powerfull build there, but can't seem to wrap my brain around it. The theory looks sweet but hte reality seems to fall flat several ways when I try it out.

Thanks for any input!

Slingbld~

FireLance

Legend
My advice is to drop the Tempest levels and pick up levels in Highland Stalker instead (also from Complete Adventurer). Tempest levels offset the penalty for two-weapon fighting, i.e. greater accuracy, but Highland Stalker levels also give you skirmish bonuses to damage which stack with your Scout levels. Dervish is there for the dervish dance ability to combine a full attack with a move action, so you can get your skirmish bonus to damage more than once per round (the bonus to hit and damage with slashing weapons is pretty useful, too).

One build that I'm thinking of is Scout 4/Ranger 2/Highland Stalker 10/Dervish 4 with Improved and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting. This gives you a BAB of +19, and you can dervish dance twice a day for seven attacks at +4d6 damage per attack per round (assuming you have a base speed of 30 feet, your Scout levels give you +10 to your speed, and you can move 10 feet, attack, and make the rest of your attacks after moving 5 feet between each attack).

If you prefer greater accuracy, you can swop out 4 levels of Highland Stalker for 4 levels of Tempest. This eliminates the two-weapon fighting penalty if you use at least one light weapon (I think) so you can increase your effective attack bonus by +2 by sacrificing +1d6 of skirmish damage.

DM_Matt

First Post
Felix said:
Yeah, but that Two-weapon Spring Attack is mighty tasty at 5th level Tempest...

Dervish Dance makes spring attack obsolete. When dancing, you not only CAN move between attacks, but have to. Its like spring attack and pounce all in one.

FireLance

Legend
Actually, thinking it through, I think I would go for a Scout 4/Ranger 2/Dervish 8/Highland Stalker 6 instead. Because a Dervish gets a +1 to hit and damage with slashing weapons for every odd level while in a dervish dance (i.e. +4 at 7th level), it will be just as accurate as a Tempest and do more damage while in a dervish dance, and has enough dervish dances per day (4) to use it in most encounters. Cumulative skirmish bonus to damage from Scout and Highland Stalker levels is +3d6.

This build loses +1d6 skirmish damage compared to a Scout 4/Ranger 2/Dervish 4/Highland Stalker 10, but gains +2 to hit and damage with slashing weapons while in a dervish dance.

Felix

Explorer
DM Matt said:
Dervish Dance makes spring attack obsolete. When dancing, you not only CAN move between attacks, but have to. Its like spring attack and pounce all in one.
Yeah, but you don't have X/day right next to the Spring Attack description.

dagger

Adventurer
Here is a nice tempest (without scout build) I got off wotc boards:
--------------------
Well, tempest was made to be combined with dervish!
Swashbuckler3/Fighter2/Dervish10/Tempest5 or Ranger2/Swa3/Ftr1/Dervish10/Tempest4 if you don't like the twf-spring attack when not dancing the dance of death.

Int to damage, bonus damage from dervish, dex to attack (dervish1 makes the scimitar a light weapon):
Sources: Mini-HB, CAdv, CW, DMG, PHB

Human Swashbuckler3\Fighter2\Dervish10\Tempest 5

BAB +20/15/10/5, Saves 13/9/9, 20d10 + 20*conmod HP

Stats (28 pb) Str 10 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 10

Code:

1 Swa1 - Weapon finesse (v), dodge, mobility
2 Swa1\Ftr1 - Two-weapon fighting
3 Swa2\Ftr1 - Combat expertise
4 Swa3\Ftr1
5 Swa3\Ftr2 - Weapon focus (scimitar)
6 Swa3\Ftr2\Der1 - Improved two-weapon fighting
7 Swa3\Ftr2\Der2
8 Swa3\Ftr2\Der3 - Spring attack (v),
9 Swa3\Ftr2\Der3\Tem1 - Combat Reflexes
10 Swa3\Ftr2\Der3\Tem2
11 Swa3\Ftr2\Der3\Tem3
12 Swa3\Ftr2\Der3\Tem4 - Greater two-weapon fighting
13 Swa3\Ftr2\Der4\Tem4
14 Swa3\Ftr2\Der5\Tem4
15 Swa3\Ftr2\Der6\Tem4 - Karmic strike
16 Swa3\Ftr2\Der7\Tem4
17 Swa3\Ftr2\Der8\Tem4
18 Swa3\Ftr2\Der9\Tem4 - Double Hit
19 Swa3\Ftr2\Der10\Tem4
20 Swa3\Ftr2\Der10\Tem5

If you don't like karmic strike and double hit, pick elusive target and improved initiative instead. You don't need combat reflexes then, although it is really nice to have in a dex-heavy build. Put your stat increases into dex, get a +5 tome and a nice +6 enhancement item for 12 AoOs/round, all hitting twice with double hit.
---------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scout5/Fighter2/Dervish10/Tempest3
is a strong build that fully combines the skirmish and Dervish dance

---------------------------

Darthjaye

First Post
I actually went another route and used a class from Arcana Unearthed. I blended the Unfettered with Dervish so far as Unfettered 6/ Dervish 4. Thinking about adding levels of Tempest too this though. Not sure when. After all Unfettered does get Evasion around level 9 and a bonus feat around level 10. Hard choices to make some times.....

Darthjaye

First Post
I just realized something, the scout and devish movement enhancements are the same bonus, so I believe they do not stack. Something to consider when putting these two together.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads