• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Screw Nostalgia

Henry

Autoexreginated
For the o.p. - I agree that nostalgia should be tempered with improvements.

However, there's plenty good rules to steal from 4e, and minions are one of them. Sometimes its thematically appropriate to have hordes, and minions are solely a bookkeeping measure, a tool for the DM.

minions are solely a bookkeeping measure, a tool for the DM.

I hope that's how D&DN treats them. 4E was a little schizophrenic on this point; in many cases, they were set aside as different types of the creatures, and it was advised that they actually look different in combat.

Me, I prefer that "minion" be a story/encounter/situation designation, not a creature type that's measurable in-character. (At least, not on first sight.)

TimA

First Post
Poor Tim - you think an argument on the Internet can be WON? :) If we could hook motors to the discussions on this board, we'd have perpetual motion ;)

Nah, someone would say it sucks and the engine isnt as good as a windmill and we would be right back where we started.

Oni

First Post
I want a D&D that evokes the feeling of previous editions, something that exist in a magical wonderland between the Rules Cyclopedia, 1e, 2e, and 3e. If that's wanting nostalgia, then sign me up. However I don't want it to copy those rules sets, I want it to do the things they did, but better, faster, and more efficiently. It's like a car, I don't care if it runs on hydrogen or gas, as long as it provides the same driving experience as before, but smoother, faster, and more efficient. I don't want something that's different, just to be new and different, or sold as improved by completely changing the core experience.

Remove ads