D&D 5E Sea Voyage Advice?

GuyBoy

Hero
A Mary Celeste type mystery with the discovery of an abandoned ship mid-ocean is always intriguing.
Similarly, the fate of the Demeter from Stoker's Dracula is pretty scary. You could roll the two together, with the vampire ( or whatever) boarding their ship while they investigate the floating tomb?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
A Mary Celeste type mystery with the discovery of an abandoned ship mid-ocean is always intriguing.
Similarly, the fate of the Demeter from Stoker's Dracula is pretty scary. You could roll the two together, with the vampire ( or whatever) boarding their ship while they investigate the floating tomb?
See post #20 😉

Stormonu

Legend
I knew a guy in the Navy that said his line-crossing ceremony was ... very unpleasant. I can't recall the details though
Yeah, the real-world rituals tend to have a lot of hazing. For a game, it’s more the theme and perhaps a chance for some skill challenges - and perhaps the real neptune/Poseidon/insert sea god to show up and demand fealty/loyalty/a party.

not-so-newguy

Yeah, the real-world rituals tend to have a lot of hazing. For a game, it’s more the theme and perhaps a chance for some skill challenges - and perhaps the real neptune/Poseidon/insert sea god to show up and demand fealty/loyalty/a party.

I like it, unfortunately the chance for that encounter has already passed. This is an old thread 🤷

Without lifting the veil on ... traditions, Military hazing has a lot of roots built upon the concept of I did it, they did it, suck it up. Some people would see it as barbaric, but it's part of the bonding. Trying to explain it, most people make comments about the ignorance, but those that have done realize it's runs deep... If you think this is bad, our jobs will put us in situations that are much, much worse bit when it's all over, we'll be here, just like we are now. Sri, for the fork, back to the fun.

not-so-newguy

Without lifting the veil on ... traditions, Military hazing has a lot of roots built upon the concept of I did it, they did it, suck it up. Some people would see it as barbaric, but it's part of the bonding. Trying to explain it, most people make comments about the ignorance, but those that have done realize it's runs deep... If you think this is bad, our jobs will put us in situations that are much, much worse bit when it's all over, we'll be here, just like we are now. Sri, for the fork, back to the fun.
Yeah, he was probably trying to convey something like what you say here, but it was flying right over my head. (The conversation was 25+ years ago)

Remove ads