Sean K. Reynolds talks RPG salaries, puts his on record.

I'll take your word for it. I expect you're presenting a reasonable median.

From what I see here and in my gaming circles, pdfs seemed to be the preferred venue. Obviously, there's a lot more old-school buyers than I thought. That's interesting.
As always, beware anecdotal evidence. If you look at TTRPG Kickstarter campaigns the vasty majority have way more print backers than digital. And usually it's not even close--people still want physical books in a big way.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
As always, beware anecdotal evidence. If you look at TTRPG Kickstarter campaigns the vasty majority have way more print backers than digital. And usually it's not even close--people still want physical books in a big way.
Makes me wonder:
Do most backers of print kickstarters also get the PDF version as a freebie? I know that I always check that, though I don't know to what degree it really influences my decision to back. I just wonder if there's a difference between kickstarters that offer "PDF only, or Print+PDF" options, versus those offering "PDF only, or Print only" options. (Do those latter even exist?).

In any event, I do know that I typically back for the print books; but also that the PDFs i receive with those books do get a lot of use if/when I decide to actually use (rather than just read) the product. Copy-pasting statblocks, building out a player's guide, screencapping imagery, for example, are all far more easily done from a PDF than the hardcopy.

Do you have hard data to support your claim, or are you using anecdotal evidence?

aramis erak

Legend
Makes me wonder:
Do most backers of print kickstarters also get the PDF version as a freebie? I know that I always check that, though I don't know to what degree it really influences my decision to back. I just wonder if there's a difference between kickstarters that offer "PDF only, or Print+PDF" options, versus those offering "PDF only, or Print only" options. (Do those latter even exist?).
Every KS I've participated in gives PDF with the dead tree purchase.
Almost all the ones I've looked at give the PDF with the dead tree if they have a PDF. I've seen a few without PDF.

Do you have hard data to support your claim, or are you using anecdotal evidence?
I'm not going to spend an hour setting up a PowerPoint for you on this, but go take a stroll through Kickstarter. It's a ratio I always check, and I look at TTRPG Kickstarters obsessively.

GreyLord

Legend
They don't sound unreasonable. Adjusted for inflation to 2021, these numbers come to:
1995: $50k
1997: $51k
M2003: $60k
S2003: $74k.

Other things to consider would be that location matters a great deal in figuring out if this is "good" or "bad". Cost of living is drastically higher in Seattle, WA than rural Wisconsin. Also, health (and other) benefits typically (hopefully?) account for a larger percentage of your total take-home package today than they did in 1995.

Another data point: In 2014, I asked on these boards "How many TTRPG game devs make over $100k today" and was given the answer of "none".

This (I believe he lives in) is the U.S.
Pay doesn't match inflation.

This (I believe he lives in) is the U.S.
Pay doesn't match inflation.

It does for a lot of people. It is hard to qualify data for a nation of 300 million. For example, in dense urban areas and states with a crippling tax burden, such as California, the cost of housing will erode salaries faster than inflation.

Elsewhere in the nation, salaries are doing well.

For example, I retired in my 50s, debt- and mortgage-free, and own a lake-front home on sizeable acreage, all from a job that only requires a high school diploma.

Pay is not the critical issue, but rather, the cost of living. I live in a state with no state income tax, a healthy economy, and decent (for the most part) leadership.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It does for a lot of people. It is hard to qualify data for a nation of 300 million. For example, in dense urban areas and states with a crippling tax burden, such as California, the cost of housing will erode salaries faster than inflation.

Elsewhere in the nation, salaries are doing well.

For example, I retired in my 50s, debt- and mortgage-free, and own a lake-front home on sizeable acreage, all from a job that only requires a high school diploma.

Pay is not the critical issue, but rather, the cost of living. I live in a state with no state income tax, a healthy economy, and decent (for the most part) leadership.
?
Pay has gone up significantly less than cost of living since the early 80s. It isn't even close, actually.

Also, 83% of the US lives in urban areas.

Remove ads