Searching For Online Workout Information

Drew

Explorer
First, a little background: I've recently decided to become more physically active. I've been studying a form of karate for about a year and three months, and now I'm looking to add a weightlifting / workout routine.

The thing is, I don't really know thing one about lifting weights. I have access to a gym membership through work (actually a YMCA membership, so swimming and raquetball, etc.) but I really don't know what I'm doing.

While advice is apreciated, what I'm really seeking is some kind of a nice website that gives me workout advice, planning, maybe online tracking....stuff like that. Any of my fellow pastey gamer types know of any place like this?

ragboy

Explorer
I used bodybuilder.com. There's a section on exercises that shows a super buff guy with pointers to all his muscle groups. Those links lead to specific exercises for those muscle groups. Don't be scared off by the web site address and the images on the site. There are a lot of good 'regular joe' fitness articles and advice. I managed to build a great eating plan and a varied workout routine from that site.

Not sure how you feel about supplements (I'm not a fan), but the site is pretty heavy on them as well.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Remember to get your form correct.

I don't look like I ever lifted anything heavier than a pizza, but I used to work out quite a bit. I'd finish my exercise routine by doing pull-ups, just to see how many I could do and to burn off any extra energy I still had. I got reasonably good (or at least not embarassing) and I could knock out 10 at the end of an hour long workout before I started feeling it. The problem was that for some reason my bench press was an anemic 135. That was lame and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why my shoulders were improving so much faster than my chest.

The problem was with my posture and my form. I was doing my chest and arm exercises incorrectly and putting all the strain on my shoulders. Oops. Not only was I failing to exercise the right muscles, I was risking injury.

So when you start your plan, remember to start with a very light weight and make sure you're getting the form correct. That's my advice.

kenobi65

First Post
It's not an online resource, but I picked up "Weight Training for Dummies" a couple of months ago, when, on the doc's advice, I started doing some light weight-lifting. BG's right, getting the form right is key.

Drew

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
It's not an online resource, but I picked up "Weight Training for Dummies" a couple of months ago, when, on the doc's advice, I started doing some light weight-lifting. BG's right, getting the form right is key.

Of course there's a weight training for dummies book! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old One

First Post
Depending on how good your YMCA is, utilize them. My previous Y experience has been pretty good. They usually have some trained staff that can show you how to use all of the equipment properly, with correct form, and possibly design a workout routine to help you meet whatever your goals are.

Just make sure you get someone with some actual training experience/certification...not the high school kid who is doing it as an after-school job ;)!

~ OO

devilbat

First Post
When I was looking for the same thing, I came across this site
It provides examples of workouts for the beginner, moderate and experienced trainer.

Remove ads