• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Second Implement

Kordeth

First Post
Duelpersonality said:
True, but that's not what the ability actually says. Besides, by this point a longsword is a wand for the character, so it's not entirely inappropriate even thematically.

"Using your blend of martial prowess and arcane might, you infuse your blade with added swiftness, striking your opponent with ease."

You must be wielding your wand to gain the bonus. If you're making a longsword attack, you're wielding a longsword, not a wand. I'm pretty sure I saw Mearls specifically define "wield" as "make an attack using" somewhere around here.

Duelpersonality

First Post
Kordeth said:
You must be wielding your wand to gain the bonus. If you're making a longsword attack, you're wielding a longsword, not a wand. I'm pretty sure I saw Mearls specifically define "wield" as "make an attack using" somewhere around here.
You're right, but not for that reason. I just reread Corellon's Implement and it specifically calls out "when casting your spells." Unfortunate, but I may houserule it in anyway. The point of my original argument was that that the character is making an attack with his "wand," because he treats a longsword as a wand (I had failed to notice the exact wording of Corellon's Implement before).

Remove ads