• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Second Son: A 1st Level 4th Edition Adventure

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
1) As far as I remember, standing from Prone is a Move Action that provokes Opportunity Attacks.
2) Not sure, but I'd guess a Minor Action.
3) Again, not sure as no two sample characters have the same weapon. The Paladin likely wouldn't be proficient with the Longbow anyway, so I'd just give it a -4 to attack or something.

nick012000

First Post
Blacksway said:
3) Again, not sure as no two sample characters have the same weapon. The Paladin likely wouldn't be proficient with the Longbow anyway, so I'd just give it a -4 to attack or something.
I don't think non-proficiency gives a penalty in 4e; it just doesn't give the proficiency bonus.

pukunui

Legend
I remembered another one ... this one to do with sliding:

The hob warcaster was really lucky with his force lance, hitting at least three PCs with it. They were all still standing in the narrow tunnel at the time, so the questions that came up were: a) can you slide someone through an occupied square (and if so, does it matter if the occupant is an ally or an enemy) and b) can you change directions while sliding someone?

Since I wasn't sure about the answer to either, I ended up having PCs bouncing off the walls like they were in a pinball machine. It was funny but I don't know if it was "allowed".

EDIT: On a side note, one thing that kind of bugged me was the ranger's daily power. Why would simultaneously firing two arrows at two different targets be something the ranger can only do once a day?

Last edited:

Thattanguy

First Post
Ok, Ive ran the 1st encounter twice now (once IRL, once ORPG) and the 2nd encounter once (ORPG) and everyone seems to like it so far. I'm still the playtest reports for both, but i will post one memorable moment from todays encounter 2:

The Warlock tries to sneak ahead of the party and use her Daily on the Hobgoblin Soldier in the middle of the chamber but narrowly misses its Will Def. We all go to initiative and when it comes to the Fighters turn, she runs to the ledge in an attempt to leap up. I guess the player didn't listen when I said it was about 5-6ft. elevation (estimate) and he was playing a dwarf, but I game him the change to make a (ridiculous) Athletics check, which the dwarf failed. I then gave her an Athletics check to see if she could at least hold onto the ledge, which she did make, with the Warcaster standing right above her, Shock Staff ready to go. >=) Well I miss with the staff and move back and eventually it comes around to the Fighter's turn again. The player wants to pull up and go after the Warcaster, so I say make an Athletics check to see if you pull yourself up as a move action or a minor if you do well enough. Well, the Fighter did well enough and proceeded to occupy the Warcaster and Archer for the rest of the encounter, foiling Force Lances, Pulses and laughing at longswords. Everyone enjoyed themselves and the adventure. I'll post more of there comments about the Edition in the Play Report.

I know there is no precedence for allowing the skill check to see if he could pull the char up as a minor instead of just making him spend his move, but giving the option of an exceptional check to explore interaction of skills and action types seems too interesting to pass. What do ya'll think of that decision?

Cheers,

Daniel

pukunui

Legend
Thattanguy said:
I know there is no precedence for allowing the skill check to see if he could pull the char up as a minor instead of just making him spend his move, but giving the option of an exceptional check to explore interaction of skills and action types seems too interesting to pass. What do ya'll think of that decision?
Sounds good to me!

Thattanguy

First Post
Seems all monsters scale exp. wise by 25 (with possible exception for boss-type mobs and minions).

Level 5 Mobs are worth 200xp, so it would follow suit that level 6 (Chillborn) are worth 225 each.

I notice that the Shadar-kai is worth 250xp. I'm not sure if thats due to him being a boss-type encounter or if experience values increase in scale at 6th level (i.e. mob lvls 1-5 scale at 25 xp, 6-10 scale at 50, etc)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads