Second Son of a Second Son: Timotheus' Prayers

Ciaran

First Post
I play Timotheus Smith, a noble’s newly-recognized bastard, in el-remmen’s Second Son of a Second Son campaign. Though no priest, he has a strong (if simple) faith in Nephthys, patron of warriors and goddess of courage. As he is scarcely literate, I will be recording his prayers to Nephthys here in lieu of a written journal.

Ciaran

First Post
9 Sek 637 (morning)

Blessed Nephthys, Lady of Courage, thank you for guiding me here. I thought I might spend the rest of my life as a guard and a soldier. And then, when my lord father made me a noble last year, I thought I might get stuck hanging about around the Gate, being a courtier or something. But now, now I finally have the chance for adventure!

I wish I could have gotten here on my own merit, not because my lord father decided to sleep around twenty-six years ago. I’d rather be famous only for my deeds, not for my blood, but if this is the price to join a real adventuring band and be a hero of the realm, I’ll take it. I hope I live up to grandpa Argus’ example. Is he in Your kingdom, Nephthys? Is he watching? I hope I make him proud.

Anyway, I pray Bes to give me luck, and, uh, I pray Isis to please let these guys not be asses and crazies and what not. And Nephthys, please help my friend Telémakhos grow a spine. He’ll never earn his dad’s respect until he can stand up for himself in a fight. I mean, he may never earn his dad’s respect at any rate, because his dad is such a prick. But at least he could try.

Sounds like we’re about to dock. So, uh, Hail Nephthys!

Last edited:

Ciaran

First Post
9 Sek 637 (evening)

Blessed Nephthys, give me strength, because this is no band of adventurers. I’ve met them, I’ve talked to them, I’ve eaten and drank and signed that damned charter with them, and we are so not ready to go fight monsters together.

From what my new companions have told me, none of them have ever been in a real battle, not even the knight-priestess of Anhur. Well, they’ve all said so except the watch-mage, who won’t say anything at all about anything, unless he’s complaining about something. Goddess, that man is such a prick; I do not ever want to put my life in his hands. Or anyone else’s life, for that matter.

Anyway, other than ‘Bleys the Aubergine’ – and what kind of name is that, anyway? – I think the others are okay people, even if they don’t have any fighting experience. I actually really like Markos, which surprises me because he’s a noble and a wizard, but it turns out that he got kidnapped as a kid and raised by pirates, and so he got raised as a commoner, just like me. He curses and drinks and plays cards like a sailor, too. It’s good to have another drinking buddy.

It’s kind of weird having a couple of war-priests with us. I mean… they’re so quiet. I have no idea what they’re thinking. But at least they’re not coming on all judgmental, telling everyone what to do and how to act. I’d still rather have had a priestess of Isis, or one of Your own priests, but if these two can fight and heal and do magic and all that, then I’ll be happy enough to have ‘em.

Anyway, it looks like we won’t be able to make any plans until tomorrow, because Bleys won’t discuss anything just because Markos and I had a few drinks. Please, Nephthys, give me the strength not to beat him bloody the next time he acts like a prick, what with him being a watch-mage and a brother-in-arms and all. Amen.

Ciaran

First Post
10 Sek 637 (late morning)

Blessed Nephthys, thank you again for this opportunity. I’ve never slept in such a comfortable bed all my life, or eaten such a great spread. The Tenbrooks are really laying it on thick; I haven’t drunk this much good wine even at Pyla, and that’s where they make the stuff. And we’ve got free room and board and stabling for months, and even our own steward to handle the money and business! I don’t care if it’s all just politics, Lady. This is living well, and I like it.

Anyway, Lady Nephthys, and Isis and Fallon too, I wish good will on this inn and everyone in it. They’re doing right by us, so let us do right by them. Amen.

Ciaran

First Post
10 Sek 637 (evening)

Blessed Nephthys, it looks like we have a plan, sort of, even if it’s really just a plan to wait a while and then try and come up with a plan again. Oh Goddess, these guys talk more than a bunch of fishwives on the Day of Stories. If the building caught fire they’d have to have a meeting to discuss which exit to leave by.

It was good to hear Victoria say that I should run the show in battle. It turns out I have a reputation. Who knew? Well, except for You, of course. Anyway, it sounds like she doesn’t share her family’s hate for our family, which is a damned good thing in my opinion. She’s trained as a knight, so if I can count on her in a fight, we might do okay.

Not that we’re necessarily going to be doing any fighting. Telémakhos is really excited by the idea of not doing any kind of fighting ever, and Markos and Bleys agree with him. I mean, we’re supposed to be heroes of Thricia, protecting the common people and defeating monsters and enemies, and these guys want us to do what, negotiate? Get involved in House politics? I dunno about them, Lady Nephthys, but that’s not why I’m here. As long as I have anything to say about it, we’re going to fight.

Anyway, it looks like our liege House, Barhyte, wants us to go loot some old barbarian tombs out in the Disputed Territories. I guess that we could test our steel against whatever’s living down there, and maybe bring back some loot, which I guess is what Barhyte wants. But like I’ve told everyone, I’d rather do something that would actually help people. Whatever’s lurking under those Kingstones is a hundred miles past the border, and I doubt it’s a threat to anyone.

Personally, Lady Nephthys, I’d rather go back to Chalkour and start clearing out hobgoblins. But I guess that even with a couple of mages and a couple of priests, and maybe a couple of mercenaries to boot, we still don’t have the numbers or the combat experience to handle a full-blown troop of hobs. Especially since it looks like our magic men are no great shakes in the magic department. Except maybe for Bleys, because he won’t say what he can do – no surprise there. He can breathe fire and fart lightning for all I know.

Anyway, Telémakhos heard some rumors about pirate trouble around Tribunisport on Black Thread Isle, which apparently involves House politics and us wandering around talking to people, so of course he’s all over it. I guess he’s right when he says that it would make good practice, though. If we get into a fight, it probably won’t be as deadly as if we tackled some real danger in the wilderness, and it’ll give us more time to train. And let’s be honest, Lady; I don’t know what I’d do if Telie dies on my watch. I’ve had too many friends die on me already.

Speaking of training, we all sparred at Anhur’s temple today – except for Bleys, naturally – and I think we may do OK when it comes down to battle. Telémakhos is getting better, and both Victoria and Laarus know how to fight, even if they’ve never really been in a life-or-death situation. I do feel a little weird to be trooped in with them, since I know that Anhur and Ra aren’t Your favorite other gods. But I do feel better having them at my back.

Well, we leave tomorrow morning, Lady, so I’d best get some sleep. I pray Ptah to give us safe passage to New Harbinger, and Isis to help us choose the right adventure once we get there. And I pray your favor, Lady Nephthys, always.

Last edited:

Gold Roger

First Post
So, will Second Son of a Second Son slowly take control of the storyhour forum, thread by thread?

Anyway, a very nice idea and at a few points already pretty funny to read.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Roger said:
So, will Second Son of a Second Son slowly take control of the storyhour forum, thread by thread?

Well, there will be at least three! :D

I am nearly done with writing up the second session and the third session is this Sunday. I will probably post the first installment of the over-arching Second Son of a Second Son story hour in about a week's time.

Remove ads