Second Son of a Second Son: Timotheus' Prayers

Tony Vargas

Legend
Cairan, this is such a cool concept, I hope you can keep it up. It'll be interesting to read the story hour, and also get to see into the mind of one of the characters this way.

Ciaran

First Post
11 Sek 637 (evening)

Blessed Nephthys, we’re finally on our way. It took us a while to get out of Sluetelot; Victoria hadn’t bought any rations and she sent Euleria to buy ‘em at the market. And she’s not the only one who wasn’t really ready to go. I can’t believe that no one thought to buy any tents. Thank Shu for good weather! The Oreithales are never this warm at this time of year. I just hope it doesn’t rain at least until we get to New Harbinger. It’s supposed to be another good-sized town, so we should be able to finish picking up supplies.

I convinced the group to take the Shore Road and not the safer High Road, Goddess, and it was the same debate all over again. Even though we’re at least an even match for the Shore Road bandits we’ve heard about, Telémakhos would rather take the safe route than maybe clear out some outlaws or monsters and make the road safe for travelers again, and the mages didn’t seem too keen on it either. At least Victoria and Laarus agreed with me, which makes sense, them being priests and all.

I hope we’ll get to test our mettle on the road. Better sooner than later, and better outdoors than in some dank old hole where there’s no place to fall back to if we get in over our heads.

Ciaran

First Post
12 Sek 637 (evening)

Hail, blessed Lady. Traveling south has been pretty nice. The weather’s warm and clear, and it’s nice to ride by the sea. And since I’m in front and Bleys is in back, I don’t have to see or hear him for most of the day.

Oh, and speaking of the sea, we ran into some fishermen earlier, by the side of the road. Telémakhos did a little trading with them to pick up some fish and rumors. Apparently there’s not just bandits on the road, but also lizard men and frog men and some kind of sea monsters too. I’m not worried, though; I don’t think any of those things can outride us on horseback, so we should be fine if we get in over our heads.

Lady Nephthys, I’m itching for action. I feel like I’ve been waiting for this opportunity for all my life, and it’s about as adventurous and exciting as a trip to the market. Am I being selfish, Lady? I don’t want to put my friends and my companions in danger; I just want a chance for glory. But I guess there’s no rush; we’ll get that chance sooner or later. I just hope it’s sooner.

Anyway, Lady, please guide us and give us strength. And may Isis watch over my friends, at least until we reach New Harbinger. We’ll see what happens from there. Amen.

Ciaran

First Post
13 Sek 637 (afternoon)

Blessed Nephthys, I’m trying to make the right choices, I really am. I pushed for the Shore Road because that’s where the bandits were supposed to be. So why were they on the High Road? Just bad luck?

At least it looks like the Swanns will catch ‘em. It’s too bad they didn’t want our help. I’d rather that we tracked down those bandits rather than playing messenger for the Swanns. I almost hope their boss is in trouble so’s we can rescue him or something. At least then we’d be doing something worth our while

Ciaran

First Post
13 Sek 637 (evening)

Oh, blessed Nephthys. I think I may have made a mistake.

Yeah, Sir Quintus got captured by lizardmen, I know. Sure, they may kill him if we don’t hurry up and track him down. And I bet Anhur and Ra really want us to do the rescue right now. But if we do go and charge into the swamp by ourselves in the middle of the night, it’s a sure bet that someone else is going to get killed. I should never have suggested it. I should never have agreed with Victoria about it.

What if Telie gets killed? What if Markos gets killed? I owe them more than I owe some knight I’ve never met. I wish we’d gone to the Gosprey keep for reinforcements, or at least rested up and tackled it in the morning.

Sorry, Lady. I got a thick head sometimes. I just hope this whole stubborn reckless fighting thing doesn’t get anyone hurt. Please, Lady Nephthys, and Isis and Fallon too, watch over my companions and protect them from harm. Oh, and Ptah guide our horses, and Bes give us luck. We’ll need all the luck we can get.

Ciaran

First Post
14 Sek 637 (afternoon)

Blessed Nephthys, what are we still doing here? Now that we know Sir Quintus is still alive and we’re all rested, we should either go in and rescue him or go out and get reinforcements. Just standing around here waiting is a damn fool waste of time. I can’t believe T.K. wants us to just sit here and listen to the guy scream. Sometimes I wonder if he gives a damn about people at all. If he wasn’t my friend...

I dunno what the lizards are trying to pull, either. We can hear Sir Quintus howlin’ and hollerin’ from all the way out here, so why pretend he’s not there? How dumb do they think we are? I’d call for a charge right now if it wasn’t so dangerous; ruined or not, this is still a big old fort, and who knows how many lizards are all piled up in there? T.K. and Markos aren’t up for it, and Victoria said she’d rather die than surrender, ever.

Wow. What the hells is that about, anyway? Goddess, I like Victoria and all, but that is some crazy sh*t right there. I mean, Anhur’s the god of war, not the god of half-wit berserkers, right? I mean, if that’s what she wants to do, I can’t stop her, but I’m not gonna let everyone else get dragged down with her in a fight we can’t win, either. I hate to say it, but if it comes right down to it, we may just have to leave her behind.

Yeah. So. Anyway, I pray to Anhur and Nephthys for strength and glory in battle, and to Fallon for – hey! Laarus, wait! What the hell?! Wait for me!

Damn it!

Last edited:

BlackCat

Explorer
Great work with this, Ciaran. I really like the way you've framed this in the form of prayers. It lends a great deal of insight into the inner workings of a simple man that may yet prove to be a very complicated one.

More, please!

J

Ciaran

First Post
14 Sek 637 (evening)

Blessed Nephthys. Thank you for watching over us this afternoon. I was pretty worried there for a while, but everything turned out fine. Well, except for Victoria. The lizards say that she’ll be fine, and I guess they got no reason to lie. But it’s pretty horrible, a grown woman messed up like that. I hope she’ll be okay.

Oh, and speaking of lizards, it looks like these lizards aren’t really monsters after all. I feel kind of bad about the one we killed. Are they really people, Lady? Do they go to the Heavens if they’ve been good, or do they have their own place? Maybe they have, I don’t know, swamps of holy water or something. Whatever; I’m in no rush to get there to find out.

Anyway, I guess this turned out to be some political thing. T.K. must be happy that this is another one of his pirate smuggler plots that he’s all into. I figure that if that thing in Tribunisport is half as exciting as this, he’ll drop the whole thing faster than you can say ‘lucky sevens’. Of course, I’m still voting for the Kingstones.

I guess that’s it. Thanks for your strength, Lady, and my thanks to Anhur for the victory. Amen.

Ciaran

First Post
15 Sek 637 (evening)

Blessed Nephthys, thank you for healing our companion Victoria. I was pretty worried about her, but she seems close to her old self already. Oh, and thanks to Fallon and Isis too. May they both give her their healing so that she’s back to normal. It would be pretty bad for her if she’ll always be a bit loose in the head. I hope I don’t ever end up like that, Bes protect me.

Still, even with her brains gone to mush, Victoria’s a real good fighter. She took Markos down without breaking a sweat, though I guess that’s no surprise, since he’s got all the muscle of a piece of cheese. Speaking of which, Lady, please pray Fallon’s aid for Markos as well. He was acting pretty crazy. I don’t know where all that anger came from, but I’m hoping it’s just because he also breathed in some of that yellow stuff. With any luck, they’ll both get better.

I guess we’re gonna be here for another day or two, Lady, and that’s fine by me. I mean, when you’re walking through the swamp in the middle of the night with boots full of mud, that’s not much fun, but now that we’re kinda warm and kinda dry, this is really a pretty fine place, with the blue sky and the frogs croaking and all the water and the shrubs and trees spreading out everywhere. And ruins like this place are totally tops; it’s like when we were kids back home, running around the standing stones and pretending we were Harbinger and Sorlorn and Briareus the Bold. Only it’s real this time, and we are heroes, or at least we’re going to be.

Do you think this place goes back that far, Lady? Maybe it’s got some of those old dungeons and cellars and suchlike underneath it, like under that pit in the middle. Maybe there’s treasure down there. But I guess that it would be kind of rude to poke around in the lizards’ place… and it’s all full of yellow stuff anyway. I may be brave, Lady, but I ain’t stupid.

Anyway, thank you, Lady, for your blessings. Please watch over us. Amen.

Last edited:

Remove ads