Planescape Secret Planescape Origin of Legendary/Solo Monsters?

Quickleaf

Legend
I just stumbled onto an entry in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix 2 for "Monster of Legend." Very interesting stuff. Even has an early precursor to Regional Effects. Very much seems like one of the key sources of inspiration for Legendary Creatures.

I've attached a snapshot for discussion. But let me sum up the key aspects of a "Monster of Legend" with an eye toward comparing how Legendary Creatures work in 5e.

Flavor & Mechanics
Similarly vague to the 5e Legendary Creature, a "Monster of Legend" is meant to be a unique creature. The Nemean Lion is given as an example. It's also suggested that most Monsters of Legend are tied to specific deities or pantheons.

Mechanically, it's a template that is applied to an existing monster, and the template is meant to be tweaked by the DM. Very much about the art of monster building.

AC
A Monster of Legend has an AC at least +4 above its base creature.

Hit Points
A Monster of Legend has at least maximum hit points for a monster of its type. This would be a big boost over 5e Legendary Creatures.

Size and Damage
A Monster of Legend is generally larger than the base monster and its attacks deal double or triple damage.

Special Attacks
A Monster of Legend may have additional special attacks at the DM's discretion. No guideline is given beyond an example: an androsphinx with 9th level spellcasting (instead of 6th in AD&D) and duplicating the effects of a horn of blasting.

Special Defenses
A Monster of Legend is fearless (morale 20) and has some kind of extraordinary defense, but it also has a weakness that can be exploited. Examples of these sorts of defenses:
  • Complete invulnerability to slashing and piercing weapons, like the Nemean Lion: Hercules slew the beast by strangling it since nothing could pierce its hide.
  • Blood so corrosive or poisonous that any edged weapon damaging the creature must survive an item saving throw versus acid or be destroyed: Blood splashed on a hero fighting the monster might force a saving throw versus poison to avoid death! Or, optionally, drops of blood spilled on the ground might turn into scorpions, snakes, or some other complication.
  • A coat of shining scales that reflects any magical attack onto its caster, or that blinds any hero who gazes on the creature.
  • Complete immunity to a category of attacks: A creature immune to attacks of earth suffers no damage from stone or metal weapons and is immune to elemental earth spells.
  • Invulnerability or complete regeneration while a certain condition persists: For example, a monster might constantly regenerate damage while it’s in contact with the earth, but if it’s lifted into the air it can be damaged normally. Another monster might be immune to physical damage while the sun is in the sky, and so on.

Magic Resistance
A Monster of Legend is usually immune to ALL spells... except those that exploit a weakness, such as a medusa only being affected by anything reflecting its gaze, a hydra only affected by spells that could remove a head (e.g. disintegrate or flame blade), or a sphinx only affected by spells altering stone or sand (e.g. stone shape, transmute rock to mud, or passwall).

Compared to 5e's Legendary Resistance, this is way over the top powerful! But at the same time, it encourages smart play and tells a story about the monster. It's INTERESTING!

Regional Effects
Mention is given that a Monster of Legend is apart from normal ecology and alters the terrain around it in a spectacular and long-lasting manner.

Comparing the AD&D Monster of Legend to the 5e Legendary Creature
The AD&D Monster of Legend, while suffering in the action economy department (no Legendary Actions / Lair Actions), has vastly greater defenses than the Legendary Creature. And the individual monster is meant to be customized.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 4.46.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 4.46.11 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 497
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 4.45.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 4.45.41 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 435
Last edited:

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I just stumbled onto an entry in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix 2 for "Monster of Legend." Very interesting stuff. Even has an early precursor to Regional Effects. Very much seems like one of the key sources of inspiration for Legendary Creatures.
Fun find!

:)

*sigh* Everything Planescape was just so aesthetic, beautiful, and immersive...

Thanks for those reminders! Now I want to adapt those rules to 5E and make a real legendary monster. I found the Special Defenses section particularly inspiring.

pemerton

Legend
I can't comment on the origins of Legendary Creatures, but the idea of "the first Medusa" or "the first Hydra" is found in the original Deities and Demigods, I think (in the entries for Perseus and Heracles).

I think the original Manual of the Planes may have had rules or advice for statting up these creatures. (I don't have my books ready to hand to check this.)

Remove ads