D&D 5E See Invisibility: awareness of Invisibility

Cyan Wisp

Explorer
Thanks for the replies, team! The Dm, a fair and reasonable chap, went with "shimmering aura" or something, so I could alert the team to the skulker, but I do, also, like the idea of reading suspicious behaviour or visual weirdness with Insight/Perception.

Coroc

Hero
For a start, they'll cast no shadow. To go further, perhaps they would have a curious uniformity of illumination to their features, no part of them appearing to be especially well illuminated or in shadow. A particularly bright point of illumination, such as a lantern, might be visible shining through their body if they were in front of it.

This.

Rethinking the situation, the bard fears to encounter invisible mobs, so he will try to actively determinate which of the mobs he sees are actually under the invisibility effect, concluding that he would pay attention to the indicators above.
So no additional insight check needed, at least that is how I would rule it.
Still I would require the char to communicate the situation explicitly to his comrades, and the mob still is invisible to them so they only get a vague idea of his location.

jasper

Rotten DM
Hi, community, I would like to see how See Invisibility works for you regarding knowing that something is invisible.

The Situation: My bard has See Invis running and we encounter a wizard cabal. My companions don't see the skulking invisible mage by the statue, but I do.

My immediate reaction is to warn them about the invisible guy... but then I begin to ponder: why would I? As far as I'm concerned, the mage is not invisible, so is not worthy of any suspicion! So, unless the party swaps notes quickly and I describe the position of each wizard I see -

Bard: "Five wizards, huh. Must be a convention or something."
Rest of Party: "Five???"

- the rest of the party won't benefit from my (unknowing) knowledge until they confirm which one they can't see by cross-checking.

How would it work at your table?
You are over thinking this. But at my table is would says.
Hey Cyan Wasp. AND ONLY Cyan Wasp. You see 5 wizard people. And they not playing Baseball.
In game like we were watching a movie.
SUDDENLY IN A DEEP DARK 200 DECIBEL WHISPER THE BARD SEES 5 WIZARDS THAT HIS PARTY IS NOT NOTICING.

Remove ads