Seeing on the Ethereal Plane...

Dwarmaj

First Post
If you're ethereal and float down below the ground, you can no longer see anything on the material world. Correct? Can you see another ethereal creature 10' away also under ground?

Would spells that obscure vision on the material plane also obscure vision on the ethereal plane? Normally spells cast on the material plane don't affect ethereal creatures, but since they can see material object would a spell that obsure vision affect them? How about if an ethereal creature was within the radius of an Obscuring Mist that was cast on the material plane, could another ethereal creature outside the mist see him?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I am not absolutely clear on how spells that obscure vision affect the sight of creatures on the ethereal plane. I think that since only force effects, gaze effects, and abjurations are stated to extend from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane only those types of spells and effects as well as spells which create material objects (such as Obscuring Mist) can affect the vision of ethereal creatures. On the other hand one could rule without to much of a stretch that since material objects block sight and sound on the Ethereal Plane spells that block sight and sound on the Material Plane would work on the Ethereal Plane as well but it do not think that is RAW. How material objects affect the vision of ethereal creatures is much clearer.

From SRD
"An ethereal creature can see and hear into the Material Plane in a 60-foot radius, though material objects still block sight and sound. (An ethereal creature can’t see through a material wall, for instance.) An ethereal creature inside an object on the Material Plane cannot see."

GodPhoenix

First Post
I can't think of a hard rule that says this, but I would assume that any spell on the Material Plane that obstructs vision would also obstruct vision on the Etherial plane....since objects like doors/walls/etc obstruct vision on both. If it were an opaque force effect, you couldn't see or move through it while etherial.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases