Seeking advice on a conversion - Bear to Awakened NPC

Greenfield

Adventurer
We have a caster in our group who, for RP purposes, wanted a black bear as a familiar. He took Improved Familiar to qualify, and it worked. (Black Bear is a 3 hit dice creature, so it's over all dice/capacity is comparable to other creatures considered appropriate).

Since then he's realized what a tremendous liability this is. He has to constantly protect his Familiar, who is too big to hide, and the thought of keeping him in a Familiar Pocket is just plain ludicrous.

I suggested he retrain his Improved Familiar feat (with the permission of the collective at the game) into Leadership, that we cast Awaken on his bear, and that said bear take Fighter or Barbarian levels. (We're a bit light in the tank department).

So we start with a Black Bear, 3 hit dice, right from the book. Add two dice as per the Awaken spell and make the appropriate stat adjustments.

Next, we add Fighter levels. The question is, how many? Do we call Awakened Bear a straight ECL 5 creature and go with it? We're aiming for a total effective level of 14.

This isn't a "How do I build a death machine" thread, by the way, though advice wouldn't be out of place. The major topic is "How to Convert Improved Familiar to Awakened NPC Cohort?"

(On the "Death Machine" topic, I'm not sure if Barbarian is simply appropriate or just plain piling it on.)

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I think I'd look at the 14th-level NPC stats in the DMG as a baseline, and work my way toward that. Possibly going a little higher as, if I recall correctly, your game leans toward a higher-power level. So, with that in mind, we'd be looking at:

Hit Points: 109
Armor Class: 27
Melee: +20/+15/+10
Ranged: N/A
Fort: +11
Ref: +5
Will: +5

Adding on 9 levels of fighter gets us to (roughly):

Hit Points: 113
Armor Class: 13
Melee: +17/+12/+7
Ranged: N/A
Fort: +12
Ref: +8
Will: +6
Plus feats.

That might still be a little weak. Maybe view the bear as an ECL=3 instead? And add on 11 Fighter levels?

Greenfield

Adventurer
If he has 5 hit dice, Natural Armor +2 and several natural attacks, it's hard to argue that he's ECL 3.

I figure that Armor made for him would be priced like a warhorse' barding.

Bears have "fingers" in that they can flex their claws to grab things, but no thumbs. Weapons would have to either be specially made, or he'll have to use locking gauntlets.

Other than that, with a functiona INT score, he's a big, furry person.

As for our game being higher power? I guess that depends on what you're comparing it to. Most of the PCs are serious under-achievers in terms of power v level. Lot's of non-optimal multi classing. (The fact that the party Bard is our best offensive spell caster may give a clue.)

Realistically, in a game where the lowest level PC is 16th and the top end is 19th, the fact is that a 14th level Bear/Fighter would be a serious tank.
I'm seeing a BAB of 12. I'm presuming that he'll use his level stat bumps on Strength and/or Con, and probably pursue the Power Attack/Cleave feat tree. (I somehow don't see him as a mobility fighter, if you know what I mean :) )

I am considering a Barbarian/Fighter blend for his levels. He already has Rage, because he's a bear, but the hit points, skills and increased movement are nice. The lower fighter levels are feat rich, and will allow him some feats that specifically require fighter levels as prerequisites.

And I don't think we'll be adding any point in Ride. I can't imagine any horse standing for having a bear on his back. :)

And, as a race, I'm thinking that Barbarian would be his Favored Class.

MarkB

Legend
You could give him a polka-dot bow tie and a bowler hat, and level him up as a Bard. :p

More seriously, if you dropped all his level-up ability score increases into Wisdom, he'd make a half-decent Druid, which could have advantages.

NuSair

Explorer
First off, I hate the awaken spell in general.

Looking at the black bear in the MM 3d8+6 HP, stats of 19/13/15/2/12/6...with awaken, you get 3d6 intel, 2HD and 1d3 charisma.

It's almost as if awakening is a hindrance.

Being 3HD and having +2 BAB, it looks like it is using the rogue/monk/ect table. So, going up to 5 HD, I'd have it gain +1 BAB.

I'd also count the bears HD as levels (I've been working up giants recently), so, he would have the feats of a 5th level character.

Something like-
Racial Hit Dice: An awakened black bear begins with 5 levels of bear, which provide 5d8 hit dice, base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throws of Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +2.
Racial Skills: A black bear’s bear levels give it skill points equal to 9 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are climb, hide, spot, listen and swim.
Racial Feats: A black bear's bear levels give it 2 feats
Racial Bonus: +4 to swim checks

If you wanted to roll it's stats, I'd use: +8 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Wis, -4 Cha.

So, to make him 14th level, add 9 levels of fighter:

9 level of Fighter:
9d10 HD
BAB +9/+4
Saves 6/3/3
Feats 5 bonus feats

So total:
HD 9d10 + 5d8 + con (roughly 42 to 158)
BAB +12/+7/+2
Melee +18/+13/+8 (assuming +1 str at 4, 8, 12)
Saves: fort +12 reflex +9 will +6
Feats 9 (5 fighter + 4 level)

Plus can take TWF... feats could really add up... plus the druid spells.... could make him a very effective tank. You could also go monk (not sure it would make sense in your campaign).

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
As for our game being higher power? I guess that depends on what you're comparing it to. Most of the PCs are serious under-achievers in terms of power v level. Lot's of non-optimal multi classing. (The fact that the party Bard is our best offensive spell caster may give a clue.)

Ah! I remember your frequent conversations with [MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION] and [MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION], and associated you with them. In your case, nine levels of martial is probably about right.

I am considering a Barbarian/Fighter blend for his levels. He already has Rage, because he's a bear, but the hit points, skills and increased movement are nice. The lower fighter levels are feat rich, and will allow him some feats that specifically require fighter levels as prerequisites.

Something like Fighter 2/Barbarian 7 would work nicely.

Greenfield

Adventurer
A Bard with a max Charisma of 9? Not exactly a winning formula.

A Druid might be interesting, but we already have a Druid, and as a DM I'd question a bear's ability to perform somatic spell components or to handle material components with claws instead of fingers, and no thumbs.

I'm thinking Barbarian 5/Fighter 4. If he doesn't have 4 Fighter levels he can't have Weapon Specialization, which is useful for a damage machine type.

MarkB

Legend
A Bard with a max Charisma of 9? Not exactly a winning formula.

Hey, Fozzie managed to wring a long, if admittedly not successful, comedic career out of it. ;)

A Druid might be interesting, but we already have a Druid, and as a DM I'd question a bear's ability to perform somatic spell components or to handle material components with claws instead of fingers, and no thumbs.

I was thinking Natural Spell would help him there, but on a strict reading it only applies while Wild Shaped, not whilst being naturally bear-shaped.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Ah! I remember your frequent conversations with @RUMBLETiGER and @Dandu, and associated you with them. In your case, nine levels of martial is probably about right.
Whut? I've been summoned!

Awakened Bear with Levels? Obviously Warbeast template training first for the HD and stuff, than Warblade/Crusader or Totemist, Duh. Wild Cohort feat someplace so he can get a pet bear... as a mount he can ride. proficient in lance to take advantage of charging multipliers. Unless he needs spells, than straight Wizard/Incantrix.

...in seriousness at actually addressing the OP, 9 levels of a Barbarian/Fighter combo sounds spot on and super fun. I love the glimpses of how you and yours play the game Greenfield!

Last edited:

Remove ads