[Seeking] Collectible Card Game Manufacturer

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I suggest looking for one after the kickstarter when you know how many copies you need - prices vary widely depending on print numbers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is probably better off in the business/industry forums. I'll slip it over there for you. There's also some guides to manufacturers and stuff there.

You might find PoD is a good way to go, depending on volume. DTRPGs cards are pretty good, but PoD is more expensive.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I suggest looking for one after the kickstarter when you know how many copies you need - prices vary widely depending on print numbers.

Goodness, no. Get your prices *before* the Kickstarter and ensure the rewards and stretch goals are correctly calculated.

TheLe

First Post
Hey guys, Just an update..

I looked at 3 different places:

1) TheGameCrafter was my initial choice, but when I made some draft/test cards, there was a "hidden handling fee" that popped up. It was puzzling since a second "handling" fee appeared on the shipping page. They have an online chatroom, but the people there were real jerks about the whole situation, which left a bad taste in my mouth. I left and never went back - don't blame the customer when you're the one putting a hidden fee in the system.

2) MakePlayingCards was the next place I tried, but their online pricing was for full sets of cards (52 per deck). When I emailed them about doing custom decks, they didn't answer my questions at all and just pointed me back to their page.

3) www.admagic.com was winner. They don't have an online quote -- I had to email them. but an account rep contacted me immediately and answered all my questions. For 100 units of my game (around 130 cards), the quote came in a full 10% cheaper than TheGameCrafter.

I don't wish disclose all my pricing, but here are some of the numbers that the AdMagic rep gave me, for 100 units:
$.40 for one d20 die
$.75 for rules (1 sheet, two sided)
$5 fully printed box, top and bottom, 2 piece setup box.

More importantly, the account rep was very helpful and courteous. Best of all, AdMagic prints the cards for "Cards Against Humanity" and apparently got the contract to make the "Exploding Kittens" kickstarter game.

The proof is in the pudding though, so I sent off some draft cards to get printed. I just got the cards back from AdMagic and they look great! There is a slight drifting on the border, but I'm pretty sure my alignment was off. For reference, I also put my cards next to a Magic: The Gathering card so you can compare.

I am pleased -- the colors came out very nice on my cards and the quality is good. It feels just a tad "thinner" than a MtG card, but it's still very sturdy. I'm definitely sticking with AdMagic for this kickstarter.

Continued below...

Image of my cards:
AdMagic_Samples_640.JPG

High Res image:
http://www.heroclixworld.com/hcw/Special/AdMagic/Samples_01/AdMagic_Samples_Full.JPG

Oh, and Morrus is right -- when you're doing a kickstarter, you need to have EVERY PENNY accounted for before hand. Account for shipping, Amazon Payment royalty, Kickstarter royalty, and cost of your product. You'd be surprised at how very little money you actually make. This is one of the reasons I left TheGameCrafter... I actually had all the numbers worked out on paper, but when I went to buy a set of draft cards that 'hidden fee' popped up and threw all my numbers off (I was p*ssed).

-The Le

Remove ads