D&D 4E Sell a 4E DM on Gamemastery Guide

JoeGKushner

First Post
Honestly, it's a very good book, but I think it has less to offer an experienced GM with a collection of DMG editions and lots of experience under his belt than it does a new GM.

I agree with one addition. It's a good read. Sometimes you get into a rut, sometimes you fall into a pattern. Getting ahold of something written with a more modern audience in mind isn't a bad thing.

IronWolf

blank
Honestly, it's a very good book, but I think it has less to offer an experienced GM with a collection of DMG editions and lots of experience under his belt than it does a new GM.

I agree with one addition. It's a good read. Sometimes you get into a rut, sometimes you fall into a pattern. Getting ahold of something written with a more modern audience in mind isn't a bad thing.

I think JoeGKushner brings up a good point, sometimes even experienced DMs fall into a pattern and while the pattern may work for them it isn't a bad idea to look at a book focused on the art of GM'ing to get a refresh - even if you're thinking you don't need it. I have several of the DMGs, but the Gamemastery Guide does seem to bring it all together in one book which is nice.

pawsplay

Hero
The world-building part would be a good selling point for a non-Pf GM. On the other hand, you already have lots of world-building stuff. The gripping hand is, if you have that much already, you will probably read more. :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
I think JoeGKushner brings up a good point, sometimes even experienced DMs fall into a pattern and while the pattern may work for them it isn't a bad idea to look at a book focused on the art of GM'ing to get a refresh - even if you're thinking you don't need it. I have several of the DMGs, but the Gamemastery Guide does seem to bring it all together in one book which is nice.

And I forgot to add, it's one hella of a illustrated book. Good looking stuff there.

Mercurius

Legend
I ended up buying this book and like it a lot. In some ways it reminds me of a newer, shiner version of a 1E hardback in that there is just a lot of random goodness thrown into the book, a great book for browsing. Now I'm tempted to pick up the Advanced Player's Guide, even though I don't play Pathfinder...

Azmyth

First Post
Congratz on the GMG.
The APG would be a great purchase (even though you don't play PF).

Maybe then, you might just want to try it!
If your weekly group doesn't play PF,
I'd recommend finding a local Society game!

If you were in my Region, we'd show you a good time! ;)

Mercurius

Legend
I'm happy enough with 4E (overall; there are things I don't like about it), but also wouldn't hesitate to play Pathfinder if the context was right.

BTW, are you in Concord, NH? I'm near Milford, about an hour to the south.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases