sell me on a different system

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
If you want social scenario rules, perhaps something from one of the Powered by the Apocalypse systems, or a generic System like GURPS or Basic Role Play.
I will put out three suggestions: MASKs, which is an interesting game about playing teenage superheroes (think Teen Titans). RuneQuest is a medieval game like D&D, but has individual skills govern everything, so if you want to be a social-based character, you just take the social skills. Then there is Hero System, which allows you to build your characters out of a point allotment (think 'build what you want off a set budget, and every facet of your character has a listed cost'). Any of those sound interesting?
sure but what kind of settings do I have as a choice?
also, it is more I want a decent social system that only if I want to do I get to ignore it.

Setting is entirely up to the GM. Just because you're playing 5E doesn't mean you're stuck in Forgotten Realms. There are other published settings and you can always make your own. Just like if you play a supers game, you don't have to be in Marvel or DC.

I prefer Pathfinder 1E. I feel like it allows more control over your character's development and allows players more options.

There are also dice-less systems. Maybe one of those may catch your interest.

Mind of tempest

Setting is entirely up to the GM. Just because you're playing 5E doesn't mean you're stuck in Forgotten Realms. There are other published settings and you can always make your own. Just like if you play a supers game, you don't have to be in Marvel or DC.

I prefer Pathfinder 1E. I feel like it allows more control over your character's development and allows players more options.

There are also dice-less systems. Maybe one of those may catch your interest.
I am fairly certain interesting settings are built fairly rare as most people play in genric mcfantasy land and different does not mean good I'm my experience so I am looking for something different so I can get into it.

is pathfinder any better?

I am fairly certain interesting settings are built fairly rare as most people play in genric mcfantasy land and different does not mean good I'm my experience so I am looking for something different so I can get into it.

is pathfinder any better?
I'll recommend Zweihander again, as it avoids the issues you mention. 5e is the McDonalds of the RPG world; to find actual innovation and depth, you are going to have to go further afield.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So, "Sell me on a different setting?"

Try an Elder Scrolls setting. You can find tons of information on them here:
Morrowind
Skyrim
Not to mention countless Youtube videos on the lore.

what you can do with it such as setting and what you can play in said setting?
Skyrim is more or less Scandinavian D&D-land, with buried structures once populated by dwarves and Nords (now undead Draugr). You can play several different types of humans, as well as lizard-folk and cat-folk.

Morrowind...um, I've only been to Solstheim, but there are some cool floating bugs...

Mind of tempest

I'll recommend Zweihander again, as it avoids the issues you mention. 5e is the McDonalds of the RPG world; to find actual innovation and depth, you are going to have to go further afield.
describe it in more detail?
So, "Sell me on a different setting?"

Try an Elder Scrolls setting. You can find tons of information on them here:
Morrowind
Skyrim
Not to mention countless Youtube videos on the lore.

Skyrim is more or less Scandinavian D&D-land, with buried structures once populated by dwarves and Nords (now undead Draugr). You can play several different types of humans, as well as lizard-folk and cat-folk.

Morrowind...um, I've only been to Solstheim, but there are some cool floating bugs...
I have played those games so much I am sick of the setting.

describe it in more detail?

I have played those games so much I am sick of the setting.
The setting is War Hammer but less wordy. A grim and perilous world where Chaos wars with Order, with the fate of Man in the balance.

The system is d100 based, with a very detailed character progression system that allows the player to build his PC's abilities to his or her own liking, while cutting out the massive hit point bloat and 'spell/talent for everything' attitude of 5e. Combat is quick and very deadly, which means PCs think carefully before starting a fight, and work together as a team to survive. The actual system is less complicated than 5e, and if you game on Roll20, it is fully supported.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s not clear to me whether you’re after a system or a setting. You say system, but you seem to be describing a setting. The two things aren’t the same thing.

Remove ads