Sell Me on OSE

Aldarc

Legend
Alright, people really seem to love OSE as an alternative to B/X and other early versions of the game and retroclones. If you are one of those people, tell me what I should get OSE versus using my Rules Cyclopedia or my old B/X books? Also, tell me about the much lauded support for OSE, especially support in the weird fantasy/genre mashup space, if it exists.

Note that this isn't going to be the hardest sell in the world. I have some extra Christmas money, but I want to know why folks love it so much.
Some highlights:
* B/X but with a modern, easier-to-read design layout
* Rules Support: the game has the B/X materials but also new races and classes plus ascending AC (for those who prefer it)
* Adventure Support: Necrotic Gnome wrote a number of new adventures for OSE.
* Setting Support: Necrotic Gnome has their own setting for OSE with setting-appropriate races/classes: Dolmenwood.
* Zine Support: Necrotic Gnome has their own zine for OSE that publishes setting, adventure, and additional GM materials.

OSE has essentially become the new gold standard for B/X retroclone play.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I didn't, but it looks like they're doing a Kickstarter of the box sets starting next month. Gotta get in on that one.
Yeah, I think I'll jump in on this one too.

Exalted funeral is always out of stock for the boxes, and the used ones of the second-hand market are up to 300 CAD$.

I take it those of us who got in the first kickstarter won't have anything from this second one, apart from that is now two box sets, rather than one (I got all the advanced add ons)

For anyone in the states, PSA that Exalted Funeral has the Advanced players and referee tome back in stock

reelo

Hero
Which books do I need to get into OSE, the hard copies seem confusing.
If you want PURE BX, you need the "Classic Fantasy Rules Tome" (or the "Classic Fantasy Game Set"

If you want BX with some advanced options, you need the "Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome" AND "Advanced Fantasy Referee's Tome" (or the "Classic Fantasy Game Set" PLUS the "Advanced Expansion Set")

Imho, the 2 "Advanced" Tomes offer the best bamg for the buck in terms of content and options.

I absolutely love all the stuff Gavin Norman releases. The upcoming Dolmenwood setting (to which—as a Patreon supporter—I am privy already) is absolutely stellar stuff, and I'm sure the 5E crowd will want a conversion, but I think that will be very difficult, considering the custom classes/races as well as the restrictions on "standard" classes/races.

Remove ads