Sell Me on OSE

I absolutely love all the stuff Gavin Norman releases. The upcoming Dolmenwood setting (to which—as a Patreon supporter—I am privy already) is absolutely stellar stuff, and I'm sure the 5E crowd will want a conversion, but I think that will be very difficult, considering the custom classes/races as well as the restrictions on "standard" classes/races.
I remember there was talk about a 5e version once the B/X version is done, but that was at least a year back (even before the Patreon started). Was that dropped in the meantime? (I personally plan to use Dolmenwood with OSE, but I guess there would be people here interested in the conversion)

Voadam

Legend
I remember there was talk about a 5e version once the B/X version is done, but that was at least a year back (even before the Patreon started). Was that dropped in the meantime? (I personally plan to use Dolmenwood with OSE, but I guess there would be people here interested in the conversion)
That would be nice, I enjoy Dolmenwood and B/X OSE stuff but 5e is my system of choice currently and a 5e Weird Fantasy Dark Mythic Wood setting would be good.

reelo

Hero
That would be nice, I enjoy Dolmenwood and B/X OSE stuff but 5e is my system of choice currently and a 5e Weird Fantasy Dark Mythic Wood setting would be good.
The power-level and tone is just too dissimilar. To give you an idea of what I would do to adapt it to 5E:
Races allowed: humans.
New races: Dolmenwood elf, moss dwarf, grimalkin (tabaxi), woodgrue (goblin).
Classes allowed: Cleric, Fighter, Wizard, Thief, Bard, Paladin, Ranger.
Then I would slash Aracne and Divine spell lists in half, removing all "utility spells" and leaving only the most basic ones. Much of the charm of Dolmenwood involves wilderness travel, survival, and discovery, so stuff like Goodberry, Tiny Hut, as well as items like bags of holding etc, completely eliminate those things.

Aldarc

Legend
Necrotic Gnome has their Dolmenwood stuff which is OSE weird fantasy mythic dark forest.

What I've read of it I have enjoyed. Nice spin on druids.
Genre-wise, Dolmenwood is a fantastic setting that is right up my alley, particularly as a fan of smaller-scale grounded settings, but there are some details about the setting that I find a bit "cringe," such as its witches. I still recommend it and look forward to its Kickstarter, but these are the sort of things that I would definitely change as I can imagine a fair number of my players being turned off by it.

reelo

Hero
Genre-wise, Dolmenwood is a fantastic setting that is right up my alley, particularly as a fan of smaller-scale grounded settings, but there are some details about the setting that I find a bit "cringe," such as its witches. I still recommend it and look forward to its Kickstarter, but these are the sort of things that I would definitely change as I can imagine a fair number of my players being turned off by it.
What's wrong with Dolmenwood witches?

Reynard

Legend
What's wrong with Dolmenwood witches?
Not speeking for @Aldarc but a quick look at the primer suggests Dolemnwood embraces some older tropes about witches -- at least as people see them (not necessarily as they are). Some folks don't want that kind of trope based worldbuilding to remain dominant.

reelo

Hero
My partner and I find the whole otherworldly patrons feeding on witches' menstrual blood and sexual energy thing to be cringy.
Ah yes, I just re-read the faction write-up, I see what you mean. Well, it's something that doesn't really need to come up during gameplay, the witches are still one of the major factions and source of intrigue in Dolmenwood. How and why they get their powers can (more or less easily) be changed, I guess.
Dolmenwood being largely based on folk-horror and fairytale-weirdness, some things like these are to be expected. I suppose it's a conscious decision and deliberate choice.

Reynard

Legend
Ah yes, I just re-read the faction write-up, I see what you mean. Well, it's something that doesn't really need to come up during gameplay, the witches are still one of the major factions and source of intrigue in Dolmenwood. How and why they get their powers can (more or less easily) be changed, I guess.
Dolmenwood being largely based on folk-horror and fairytale-weirdness, some things like these are to be expected. I suppose it's a conscious decision and deliberate choice.
Emphasis mine. That's the part that makes it suspect: traditional or not, it's problematic and could easily have been changed by the author. Since it wasn't, the author is telling us they prefer these sorts of tropes in their world building, so expect more like it.

Remove ads