Sell Me on OSE

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Remind me...why did you stop using the OSE ruleset in favor of Worlds Without Number?
My players bounced off OSE. I think they prefer more customization than what OSE offers, and they weren’t happy after one combat went particularly poorly, but what they really didn’t like was how the XP system works in OSE. They felt XP for gold really pushed them into playing the game like it was about dungeon heists, but what they would rather do is pursue their characters’ agendas without the system’s pushing them to go in a certain direction. What we’re doing for XP in WWN is very heavily goal-driven, which they really like. For more details on what we’re doing, I made a recent post in the WWN thread with that discusses it a bit.

However, I’m still sort of having it both ways when it comes to system. Obviously, I’m keen to run Necrotic Gnome’s adventures because they’re pretty good. I’m also running something of a hybrid between WWN and OSE. WWN has some gaps in its rules and procedures (particularly when it comes exploration), which I’ve filled in from OSE. I also largely based my bestiary on OSE’s, though I have tweaked things a bit for WWN’s sensibilities. Vampire energy drain, for example, causes the target to gain system strain (and take a stacking penalty) instead of causing level loss, and going over your limit will cause you to turn into one in three days.

Last edited:

Just want to say thanks, I think. My wallet is a little bit smaller, but I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Basic Fantasy Tome. While I'm still deciding on system, this thread got me to purchase an OSE product, and I absolutely love what I've seen of Dolmenwood, though I'm debating on whether or not I want to do the Patreon or just wait for release.

Weiley31

Legend
OSE with its Advanced Options+Rules Cyclopedia variant rules/toggles+Lamentations of the Flame Princess+all four Creature Crucibles Gazetteers sounds like my go to set up for doing it/older DND that isn't 2nd Edition or 3.0/3.5.

JarooAshstaff

Explorer
What is blowing my mind with OSE, is that youtube channels and lots of people have praised the book on its organization.

But it has no index.

How can you have no index in this world of computers?

They added a spell index, a monster index, but no index for all the important things you want to look up.

How is this possible?

JarooAshstaff

Explorer
OSE organizes content around the spread and puts all you need to know about a topic in its appropriate section. What would be the point of an index? It would (more or less) duplicate the table of contents.
I understand if you have only ever googled things its a confusing concept I will grant you. But I like to lookup things efficiently in an alphabetical index, not read the entire contents trying to guess which section it would be under.

What is blowing my mind with OSE, is that youtube channels and lots of people have praised the book on its organization.

But it has no index.

How can you have no index in this world of computers?

They added a spell index, a monster index, but no index for all the important things you want to look up.

How is this possible?
So as you note, the indices are grouped by category: spell, tables (players), monsters, magic items, tables (referee). Then of course the table of contents. Looking over all these just now, there's even a lot of overlap between them, so I don't think it would be hard to find things during play. I suppose it would be helpful to have page numbers associated with some of the random tables (e.g. for monster encounters and magic items). The only organizational thing that I'm a bit unsure of is that spells are organized by class, meaning that there are repeats. But I guess this makes it easy as a player to choose your spells.

Remove ads