• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sentinel feat

ScuroNotte

Explorer
The feat allows you to make an opportunity attack a creature even if they disengage. Does it also allow you to have an opportunity attack against a character with the Mobile Feat and/or Swashbuckker's Fancy Foot Work?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The feat allows you to make an opportunity attack a creature even if they disengage. Does it also allow you to have an opportunity attack against a character with the Mobile Feat and/or Swashbuckker's Fancy Foot Work?

Both trump Sentinel.

Neither Mobile nor Fancy Footwork involve taking the Disengage action. The wording in both is that the creature can't make opportunity attacks against you.

Sentinel does trump the rogue's Cunning Action, though - that involves taking the Disengage action. That won't help you within 5 feet of a Sentinel.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Thanks

I wasn't certain because the Sentinel feat says "Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you EVEN IF they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach."
So I took that as OP anyone moves away from you

brehobit

Explorer
Thanks

I wasn't certain because the Sentinel feat says "Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you EVEN IF they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach."
So I took that as OP anyone moves away from you

I think I agree with your reading.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I pretty much go with the exact reading of text in 5E and add nothing implied. You get AOOs with Sentinel if the target takes the Disengage action. Neither Mobility nor Fancy Footwork use the Disengage action and don't provoke AoOs when moving away, so no AoOs from Sentinel against those types of abilities.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I pretty much go with the exact reading of text in 5E and add nothing implied. You get AOOs with Sentinel if the target takes the Disengage action. Neither Mobility nor Fancy Footwork use the Disengage action and don't provoke AoOs when moving away, so no AoOs from Sentinel against those types of abilities.

The Sentinel feat says you get an OA when they leave your 5 foot reach. Even if they take disengage.

The way they wrote it allows you to have an OA against mobile feat and fancy footwork

Uchawi

First Post
The Sentinel feat says you get an OA when they leave your 5 foot reach. Even if they take disengage.

The way they wrote it allows you to have an OA against mobile feat and fancy footwork
I agree. The only thing I would add as an overall preference is feats like sentinel should add something more if you are a martial class.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

The text states, "Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach."

That in no way applies to anything beyond the Disengage action. If it applied to other than the Disengage action, it would be written as follows, "Creatures within 5 feet of you provoke opportunity attacks from you when leaving your reach even if they do not normally provoke attacks of opportunity for doing so such as when using the Disengage action or a similar special ability."

Sentinel is very specific. As usual, run it as you wish until an official ruling is made by the designers. As it is written, only the Disengage Action is named and applies.

Last edited:

I have to agree with Celtavian. Not only based on the wording, but on the sheer fact that Sentinel has two powerful abilities (reduce speed to zero, attack anyone that doesn't attack you) while Mobile's biggest advantage is that "don't hit me!" ability. Completely shutting down one feat is a bit too much for Sentinel on top of the other stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads