• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sept] What Are You Reading?

CCamfield

First Post
Good thread so far!! I didn't know about a new Expendables-universe book, and will have to see if the library has it. :)

The fellow who is reading Mythago Wood - what do you think of it now? (Finished yet?) Verrrry nifty book. I liked it best of the author's books.

I am currently reading The Deer and The Cauldron, part 1, by Louis Cha. That's the English name for a Chinese author, part of one of whose books was turned into Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. So far it's been a pretty wild ride with a young rogue named "Trinket" impersonating an Imperial eunuch and learning nifty kung fu.

Also reading a thesis from the university library about Greek hero myths and propaganda/politics. Nifty stuff. And a translation of the Thebaid by Statius, which is all right, but not a candle to Homer.

Next up: Call for the Saint, by Leslie Charteris. Couple more stories involving my favourite pulp-y character.

Final babbling: if you like Raphael Sabatini and can stand reading e-books, I highly recommend Stanley Weyman. Weyman was an inspiration of Sabatini's, and his Adventures of a Gentleman of France, and Under the Red Robe, are very good. (The latter is mostly a "romance" but has an excellent hook... a man guilty of duelling, with the penalty of death, agrees to work as a spy for Cardinal Richelieu.)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I just spent the past month and a half reading Sagiro's Story Hour; easily the equal of most fantast novels, and long enough to count as four or five normal-sized books. (If you've never read the SH, StevenAC's pdf of it is fantastic.)

I'm now reading Elaine Cunningham's COUNSELORS AND KINGS trilogy set in Halruua. Next up will be something from the boxes of books that I've been unpacking over the past week; I'm finding boxes I haven't opened in five years. I've also resolved to start selling books from my collection; I can't keep moving these things without ever reading them... :)

Karlcullinane

First Post
I recently picked up a lot of John D. McDonald books on Ebay, mostly Travis McGee series, but it also has a copy of The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. Good, old fashioned reading and detective novels. I also have been digging through my collection of Remo Williams novels (I have 1-99 complete run, and some of them really do make me LoL).
Just finished re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, neato stuff, and it's made me want to drag out my copies of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (his slightly less known works).
I also have been hankering to break out my E.R.B. books....Tarzan and John Carter still haven't been equaled in modern fiction IMHO.
Not a lot of time to read these days.....ah how I miss my days before kids :)

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Finished Bakker's The Warrior Prophet last night. Wow. Not really sure how to rate it since there were astounding parts and some fairly tedious 'uber Kellhus' parts. But damn what a good book. Can't wait for The Thousandfold Thought!

GrayIguana

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
And onto this months installment...

Re-reading George R R Martin's A Game of Thrones.

And I just finished it for the first time. I've either been reading a lot of really bland books lately, or this book was just great. I can't wait to get the rest of the series.

GrayIguana said:
And I just finished it for the first time.

I envy you. I'm really enjoying rereading the books in anticipation of the new on in November, but I always miss that sense of wonder from reading an excellent book for the first time.

Red Spire Press

First Post
Just finished reading Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell. Great book but it had a lot of glaring editing issues, which repeatedly broke the flow of the narrative. Next up is one of the numerous Murakami or JG Ballard books I have laying around, begging to be consumed. :)

Remove ads