• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seravin's Tales of the Night Below (Two Updates this Week - 07/24/07)

Seravin

Explorer
Halt! In the name of the Law!

Before leaving The Blue Gorgon, Jared paused long enough to magically inspect the small box in their possession. The lieutenant immediately noted a strong aura of abjuration overlaying it. Not taking any changes he dispelled the magic and then opened the box to see what it contained. Inisde, an oval, palm-sized amulet made of tarnished silver lay upon a blood-red silk handkerchief. Indecipherable runes ran along the outer edge of the amulet. Jared didn’t need a detect magic to feel the evil radiating from the box. Grimacing, the priest closed the box and the three friends made their way out.

---

Morning prayers were about to begin when Kellron, Aerseleth, Jared, and Jallarzi entered Sword House, temple to Sarath. They were tired but hopefully they had what they wanted.

Jared immediately motioned over an acolyate and then bid the young man to inform Colonel Megara that he and Kellron were back. The dutiful acolyte saluted and hurried off. The acolyte had not even crossed the temple floor when Kestral, still disguised as Semina, slipped into the temple and joined her friends.

A few minutes later they were all ushered into Colonel Megara’s office. She had assigned one of her captains to conduct the morning prayers while she met with Jared and Kellron. The colonel looked askance at ‘Semina’ but was mollified (if not particularly happy) that it was Kestral in a magical disguise.

Kellron and Jared quickly related the previous night’s happenings. If the good Colonel was unhappy about Kestral’s ability to magically disguise herself, she was even less happy about the news of a devil running loose in the city at someone’s behest. That would have to be taken care of.

The neutralization of the creature would have to happen later though, after she had Kellron and Jared investigate to find out who had summoned the beast. Before she gave them that task she needed to make sure they were well rested from being up all night. First they would see what the night’s labor had bought them.

Colonel Megara invited the friends to pray with her; Jallarzi and Kestral demurred but the others accepted. Instead Jallarzi pulled out her spellbook and leafed through various spells with Sarah, her familiar lying next to her. Kestral occupied herself by leafing through Megara’s personal library.

An hour later they were all gathered in the private chapel reserved for the colonel and the absent General Vorun. Jared described the aura of strong abjuration he had originally found on the box. Colonel Megara commended him on his foresight and then proceeded to cast her own spells.

Detect evil, true seeing, and detect magic were quickly cast and used to view the box and then the amulet inside. The amulet radiated a palpable aura of evil, stronger than anything any of them had seen before. Unsurprisingly, it was also radiating an aura of necromantic magic. Colonel Megara related that there was indeed a spell capable of capturing a soul that fit the aura’s she saw, though she had never actually seen it. Jallarzi was also able to confirm that she had heard of the spell from her studies.

Unfortunately, there were certainly many other spells that could be both evil and necromantic in nature. Because of this the good colonel fortified herself with prayers of protection from evil, resistance, bear’s endurance, and owl’s wisdom before she reached in and actually grasped the amulet.

A soul shackle*.” Whispered Megara, horrified. She knew that Ashimar’s soul was bound inside the tarnished silver amulet the moment she touched it. She drew in a quick breath and raised the amulet up before them. “Appear and speak!” She ordered.

They all felt a collective shiver go up their spines and Kellron and Jared thought they heard a wail. Then the shade of Ashimar appeared just two feet in front of Colonel Megara. He looked exactly as the others remembered on the day he died; with the mithril chain shirt that he wore as armor, and the familiar rapier at his side. His death wound from the club of the cave giant was not immediately apparent.

Ashimar’s eyes were at first haunted, but as he took in the surroundings, his shade took on a sharper, almost brighter, cast; hope had returned. “Colonel Megara? How did you find me?”

Beka Megara held up the charm and pointed to Kellron and Jared. “Your friends did. Tell us what happened.”

Ashimar looked ashamed. “A mage I’ve never seen before captured my spirit. He asked questions about me and the book I stole from that sorceror. Sometime later I must have been given to Grandal Deverex, for he has questioned me almost daily about my friends for the last several weeks. I’ve had no choice but to answer. I’ve tried to not speak but the magic forces me to.” The shade seemed to dim at the last, ashamed of its betrayal.”

Colonel Megara’s face was nearly as grim as Jared’s and Kellron’s. “Rest now.” She commanded. “We’ll set this aright. The Order promises it.”

Ashimar saluted and then audibly sighed as he faded away back to the restless oblivion of the amulet.

Jared was already rummaging through his pack before Ashimar’s spirit was completely gone. “Will a prayer of break enchantment work he asked, pulling out one of the many scrolls they had captured in the night below.

“It should.” answered Jallarzi. “There’s no guarantee, but if we’re lucky you’ll have slightly better than even odds.”

Jared nodded and unfurled the scroll while Colonel Megara brought it closer. The lieutenant and priest carefully read the scroll out loud, enunciating each syllable carefully. The power built itself about him until he could almost feel it like the static just before the stroke of a lightning bolt. Judging it was at its peak, Jared released the energy of the prayer against the amulet, trying to shatter the spell.

It was for naught. The abjuration broke against the power of the amulet and drained away without effect.

Jared swore mildly. He hadn’t been certain it was going to work first time anyway if the best he could have hoped for was a 50-50 chance.

Before anyone could speak further, there was a knock at the chapel door.

“Enter.” Commanded the colonel.

An acolyte stuck his head in the door. “Your pardon colonel, but there are several men from the City Watch here as well as a wizard from the Library. They say they are here to arrest Field Captain Kellron, Lieutenant Jared, and the Journey-Mage Jallarzi.”

No one spoke for a long moment and everyone looked confused.

“I think,” spoke the colonel, “that we should find out what this is all about.” She said to no one in particular. “Thank you, I’ll go meet them myself, we just have to put some things away.”

The acolyte saluted and waited by the door. He was just as glad that he wasn’t required to go tell the Library wizard that she had to wait.

---

In her white Library robes and ceremonial staff, Master Wymeah was easy to pick out against the gray stone of the main chapel of Sword House. Colonel Megara led Jared, Kellron, Jallarzi, Aerseleth, and Kestral (still disguised as Semina) straight to the woman.

It took a moment to realize that the score of other men and women standing around were actual members of the City Watch. All of watchmen looked very tense as the six people approached them, most of them with their hands already on their weapons.

Colonel Megara approached Master Wymeah as the obvious leader. “I’m Colonel Megara. I’m told that you’re here to arrest some of my men?”

Master Wymeah bowed. “Good morning Colonel. I am Master Wymeah of the Library at Corlean.” She reached into a pocket and pulled out a scroll, which she then handed to the Colonel.

Megara took the scroll and started to read it while the Library master continued to speak.

“The City Watch has asked that I assist them in this arrest as a member of my own Library is involved.” With that, Master Wymeah turned directly to Jallarzi and spoke.

“Journey-mage Jallarzi, you and your companions, specifically that gentleman” she said, point at Kellron, “and that one” pointing at Jared, “are accused of many crimes. The most serious of which include assaulting the people and property of The Gaming Den; and most seriously the kidnapping and or killing of one Ker Grandal Deverex.”

Master Wymeah paused only a moment to let that sink in, but not long enough to allow anyone to ask questions. “There are many eye-witnesses there that claim that the three of you magically appeared there and immediately began to attack both patron and staff with blade, lightning bolts, fireballs, and magic missiles. When Grandal Deverex appeared to defend his property you were further seen to assault his person, and then disappear with his body when he fell to your attacks. How say you?”

“It wasn’t us!” Exclaimed Jallarzi. “We were at The Blue Gorgon all night.”

Kellron, Jared, and Aerseleth all nodded. “We were. We haven’t even been close to The Gaming Den in several days.

Master Wymeah nodded, expecting the answer more or less. “That may be true, I’m certainly aware that it is a trivial task to magically disguise oneself. Nonetheless there is a warrant for your arrest. Will you come along peacefully until we can clear this up?”

The three accused exchanged glances and reached a silent agreement. The opposition looked relatively easy and Master Wymeah would be unable to use any wide area spells in the close quarters.

The watchmen tensed.

“Well come peacefully.” Said Kellron. “We’ll leave our weapons and armor here with Aerseleth.” Unspoken was their distrust of anyone involved in the frame-up. They didn't want their gear to be stolen from the Watch House while they were locked in cells just a few yards away.

Wymeah nodded and all the watchmen relaxed.

---

Minutes later, dressed in just their worn, but comfortable shirt, pants, and shoes, Kellron, Jared, and Jallarzi presented themselves to Master Wymeah and the City Watch. Their weapons, armor, and magical gear were now safely with Aerseleth who was carrying their magical hut.

Master Wymeah cast a simple detect magic spell and scanned them before leading them out of Sword House.

Just as the watchmen opened the doors leading out Kestral called out.

“Wait!” She cried. “You made a mistake. They really were at The Blue Gorgon all night. I was their server.”

Master Wymeah stopped and counted slowly to three before turning around. She remembered seeing the woman earlier with the group and wondered what she was doing here. Regardless, the woman hadn’t registered any detectable magic when Wymeah had scanned the others; not like the Major had.

“And you are…?” Asked Wymeah.

“Semina, my lady. I’m a server at The Blue Gorgon and I was assigned to serve them all evening.

“I see. Well come along then. We’re all going to the Watch House. Afterwards you and the guardsmen can go to this other place and confirm your story. I have other, important matters to attend too.”

---

*Book of Vile Darkness. Fifth level bard/wizard spell. Normally it requires that the focus be something that the creature was wearing when it died. I modified it somewhat, saying that the demon-made scar on Ashimar's chest acted as the initial focus which was then later transferred to a specially prepared amulet.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Randall
Seravin -- congratulations on an extremely engrossing tale. I started reading a couple weeks ago, have been drawn in and, sadly, am now caught up and must wait for new updates. Ah, the bitter-sweetness of that!

I am not familiar with the Night Below except by reputation, but I must say you and your players are doing a great job of conveying and reacting to the strangeness of the Underdark and its Illithid masters.

Finally, I would like to mention that this... ...is sheer genius. It made my rat-bastard DM soul cackle with glee.

High praise.
While not a rat bastard myself I can sometime's touch the madness found there. I was especially proud of that bit.

I have good players, and better yet, they're good friends - which provides a fair amount of inspiration.

I shoot for weekly updates - but in practice it turns out to be bi-weekly on average. December was a complete bust due to work and I'll be haphazard in January for the same reason; but I do want to make up the lost updates.

Seravin

Explorer
Originally Posted by Wasteland Knight
Seravin,

This is a most excellent and engrossing story hour! I was up to all hours the other night finishing to your latest post, and I can only hope your future updates arrive on a regular basis? If you haven't made a New Year's resolution, then I might recommend "regular story hour updates" I particularly like the short interludes told from different points of view. Excellent. Your characterization of the humanoid races is quite interesting.

I actually purchased a used copy of Night Below a few years back, after being inspired by another Night Below story hour. I hope to someday use if for my own campaign, and reading your story hour is proving insightful. Keep up the good work!

Wow. More high praise. Thank you very much.
As I said above, my preferred goal is an update a week - but most of last year was maybe once every two (or so it seemed to me).

I've tried to put pointers to other NB stories on ENWorld - so go check 'em out. They're all pretty good, though some are sadly too short.
I'll also mention that there are 3.5conversions for all three books in the downloads section - as well as a huge thread on conversion forum.

Seravin

Explorer
New Blood and Old Troubles

New DM Trick: If the party splits up (especially because of something you, as the DM, does) see if you can provide a way for the rest of the players to participate. In this case, since the focus was going to be on Kestral’s adventure and the rest of the party was in jail, I invented three new watch-folk to investigate “Semina’s” claims.

Thus was born Watch-Captain Zed (Jared’s player), Watch-Sergeant Tess (Jallarzi), and Watch-Sergeant McPhee (Kellron). Which shows that I am really bad at coming up with names on the spur of the moment.

What limited me was that NPC’s are generally low level and this was something of an unexpected side-trek. I had expected the players to slip out the back; and when that didn’t happen I expected them to all stay together.

So I offered the players a chance to play members of the City Watch. Then we winged it (Each was a human Ftr4, elite array, wpn focus, wpn spec, any three other feats the players wanted. Roll hp or take average. Chain shirt, Shield, Cloak of Resistance +1, Weapon +1 – pick gear and skills). While they’re writing that down, I look at my notes and improvise. When it’s time to begin I give them a sketchy background for the characters.

If I had a chance to do it over, I would have pre-created the Watch-men, possibly raising the level by adding a couple rogue or expert levels. The Inquisitive prestige class would also have been appropriate.

---

Four peopled trudged through the snow-covered streets of Corlean, making their way to The Blue Gorgon*. The informant known as Semina was leading, making her way lightly across the icy streets. The woman brown-eyed, brown-haired woman was plain looking and plainly dressed, but moved with an uncommon grace.

Flanking to either side of Semina was a member of City Watch, with a third Watch-man trailing a little behind the group. Dressed in the dark-blue and silver of the city with their emblazoned cloaks (three silver stars), the Watch-men would have drawn the attention away from their charge anyway; however the Watch-Captain had ordered full fighting kit. So each Watch-man also wore a chainshirt, carried an emblazoned shield, and bore an Imperial longsword.

On Semina’s right, was Watch-Captain Zed, a tall, fit, no-nonsense veteran of the City Watch. His dark hair was starting to thin a bit, but his black eyes were still keen and missed little. His current orders from Watch-Commander Jessup were to clear up last night’s misunderstanding. The assumption was that the current prisoners were being framed and that there were dangerous assailants about. Captain Zed was now in charge of the investigation. He had no idea that their informant was really Kestral, ally and friend to the accused.

Almost everyone in the Watch knew that Grandal Deverex got what he deserved last night; especially after what happened to Lieutenant Brand and all. Some of the watch members believed that the witch and the priest-soldiers really did break up The Gaming Den. Zed knew that with magic involved it was hard to be sure

To the left of Semina was Watch-Sergeant Tess. Born and raised in Corlean, Tess wore her long black hair in a bun, and her eyes were the same gray as the stone that made up the city. She had been in the Watch for ten years now and was known to be hard but fair.

Bringing up the rear was Watch-Sergeant McPhee. Also a long-time veteran of the City-Watch, McPhee was more laid-back then his captain and fellow sergeant and a perceptive judge of human character. Still, he could get the job done and had a fair amount of discretion. Like Semina, his hair and eyes were brown.

They were perhaps two streets up from The Blue Gorgon when they saw the white smoke of a fire just starting. The four came to a halt and looked at each other and then back to the smoke. Without saying a word they all broke into a run for the gambling hall.

The fire had apparently started in one of the upper rooms, for the smoke was only pouring out of one of the second-floor windows. It wouldn’t be long before it spread further though.

“Start a bucket brigade!” Shouted Zed, looking about for a well. Tess and McPhee were already on it, gathering up nearby bystanders who were just now beginning to pay attention.

As for Semina, who was really Kestral? She quietly drifted away from the general bustle, reached into the folds of her jacket, and pulled out a small velvet pouch. The young woman shook a ring out of the pouch and exchanged it with the one on her left hand – a ring that no one had noticed before. As soon as the new ring was in place, Semina disappeared completely from view.

Semina then hurried to the forefront of the fire and called upon the gifts bestowed to her by the Water King’s signet ring. Every six seconds she was able to call forth some thirty gallons of water, surreptiously conjuring it onto the floor of the affected areas. The fire was soon put out and Semina ‘found’ Captain Zed soon after.

---

The acrid smell of smoke and burned cloth and wood filled the entirety of The Blue Gorgon. The smell was an afterthought compared to the dozen dead bodies that littered the first floor. Semina instantly recognized them as members of the staff. Some of the victims had been cut down by blade, but others had been burned and scorched by fire and lightning.

“They’re from the night staff.” She told the Watch-Captain, doing her best to look like she was barely managing her calm.

Watch-Captain Zed nodded, all business. He had already commandeered a watch patrol that had come at the fire-call. The patrol and his sergeants were looking for survivors and witnesses. Hopefully they would have something soon.

Those hopes were rewarded in the form of a burly man with burnt and torn clothing. The dark-haired man was haggard looking and seemed as if he had seen trouble recently.

“You are?” Asked Zed.

“Balraj, Watch-Captain.” Answered the man. “I work…” The man trailed off and looked around. “I worked here until this morning. As a bouncer.”

Zed nodded. “You were here during the fire?”

“And just before.” Confirmed the bouncer. He then continued on, his tone of voice growing more fearful as he recalled the events. “It was terrible. It was just three people. They were furious and got into a fight with the manager. Jessica...That’s her, over there, said they had lost seventy-five thousand lions at her table.” He paused, letting it sink it. “I’d be mad too, but it’s not worth killing over, is it?”

“No, it isn’t. What happened?”

Well, the two men were priests of Sarath, and the third was a young woman with silver hair. They had left right about sun-up but came right back through the front door and demanded to see Ker Orundol. He was here and came out to see them. They said the games were rigged and wanted their money back.” Balraj shook his head. “He looked confused at first, but it’s not the first time he’s heard that before. He told them to pack off or he’d call the Watch to settle it.”

The bouncer took a deep breath. “The woman just lit off right then and conjured these silver missiles. She killed Orundol right there. His eyes just rolled back in his head and he fell over backward. The two priests swore and then yelled out ‘no witnesses’.

Dok was upstairs and ducked into a room. The woman must have spotted him and sent a ball of fire up there. The two men just slaughtered everyone in the room.” The man shuddered. “I’m a strong man, but these people weren’t human. The two men charged down everyone in the room.”

Captain Zed nodded. “Uh-huh. And how did you survive?” He asked.

“I was watching from the hallway over there.” answered the man, pointing to an open doorway. I was just watching at first; I was off duty and didn’t want to get involved if they were just yelling. When the woman started shooting off spells….well I ran.” Balraj looked defiant. “Anyone who wanted to survive would have done the same thing. I ran down the back hallway there and out the backdoor in the kitchen.”

Kestral was impressed. His word-skill was good, if she didn’t know everyone involved she might have believed that version of events. She recognized the bouncer as the one that Jared had called a devil. He looked human enough but Jared had made sure they all knew the creature was dangerous.

Something was off about his story though. It took her a moment to realize what it probably was**. She stepped up to the Watch-Captain. “Sir? Could I have a moment?”

Zed nodded and gestured for his two sergeants to wait near the bouncer. He then followed the woman to a spot some twenty feet away. “Yes, Semina?”

“I don’t think it could have happened like that. I left only a minute or two behind the three and they beat me to the temple. They were mostly in sight the entire way.” As Zed nodded, somewhat dismissively, she continued. “Also, the back door is usually kept locked. He might have gotten out that way, but I’d like to check.”

Zed signaled to Tess and McPhee. “We’ll be right back.” He called out.

It turns out the kitchen door was still locked. When Captain Zed and Semina made their way back to the main room, he marched up to the bouncer and his sergeants. “McPhee, Tess, make sure this man doesn’t go anywhere. We need to look around some more.”

Tess and McPhee nodded. They recognized the tone and began to regard the bouncer as a suspect. Meanwhile Zed and Semina stepped aside again and began discussing their options. It was clear to Zed that this young woman was far more perceptive and competent then he had originally been led to believe. Right now though he would take all the help he could get.

---

Kestral was watching the bouncer intently while talking with Zed, and thus she saw the ‘far-away’ look cross the bouncer’s face. It was a look of a man ‘not-all-there’ as he concentrated on something else.

That’s when the bodies began to twitch. With laboring grunts, the bloodied and broken corpses strewing the floor began to gain their feet and look around.

Kestral almost snorted, this was disturbing but not terrifying – not anymore at least. Unfortunately fighting would be out of character right now. “He’s doing it!” She cried out, pointing to the bouncer.

All living eyes in the room turned to the bouncer, who was starting to chuckle at the displayed fear. “Kill them.” He ordered the zombies.

Captain Zed shoved Semina towards the back door. “Find a safe place.” He ordered his informant. “McPhee! Tess! Get that man! You other men, club those bodies down!” With that he drew his sword and charged the bouncer.

Balraj just laughed as the sword struck him. Zed’s blade cut through the bouncer’s clothes but the flesh beneath was like stone. “Nice hit.” Commented the bouncer as Zed shook the pain out of his sword-arm.

Tess stepped around, flanking the bouncer between herself and Zed and struck with her own blade. Her aim was equally as true as her captain’s, and as equally ineffective.

McPhee took all of this in and came up with a new course of action. Jumping forward with a yell, the sergeant barreled into the bouncer and knocked him to the ground. “A little help here!” He called out.

Meanwhile Kestral ducked into the hallway that Zed had shoved her towards and concentrated briefly. Moments later her face was different and she wore the clothes of a Watch-woman.

Balraj was still chuckling and wasn’t even trying to defend himself. Instead he became very still as he concentrated. None of the Watch-men paused. McPhee tried for a kidney-punch while Tess and Zed stabbed at the man. To no avail.

The form under McPhee shifted and melted. Suddenly the sergeant found himself grappling a pretty young woman with long silver hair. “I’ll kill you.” The woman told him with a pretty smile as she pressed up to him.

Zed and Tess stab into Balraj/Jallarzi again, not sure who their target is anymore, but not caring. Zed was the luckiest and finally found a weak spot in the now womanly-bouncer. His blade slid deep and she half-hissed with the pain; then gave Zed a smile full of promise.

McPhee isn’t taken in by the change.*** “It’s a disguise! Don’t let it fool you.” He calls out while trying to hold onto the man.

Her disguise complete, Kestral rushed towards the main battle, drawing her shortsword. When Colonel Megara later heard the retelling of it she was much impressed with Kestral’s bravery. Kestral never found out, but knowingly charging a devil from the pit wiped away all of Megara’s reservations about the young woman.

Balraj/Jallarzi sneered as the 'new' Watch-womanman charged. The sneer was replaced by an animal-like howl of pain as the magical shortsword slipped easily through her unprotected flesh, finding soft organs beneath.

The sword wasn't blessed, but Balraj recognized the danger. The new Watch-woman couldn't kill him, but she could render him unconscious until his body could knit itself back together. He/She snarled at the thought. He’s not allowed to fully manifest. Not yet.

Spitting out an infernal oath, Balraj, still disguised as Jallarzi, wrestles the heavier Sergeant off of her, and gains her feet. The Watch-woman’s sword mercifully misses, but this time Tess manages to find a critical spot, nicking the former bouncer.

All of the Watch-men are concerned to see the bloodied wounds on the woman begin to knit together.

---

Excerpt from Zed’s report to Watch-Commander Jessup

I still don’t know who the Watch-woman was, nor does anyone I’ve queried. What I do know is that she’s one hell of a fighter and she almost certainly saved our lives. She was making two precisions strikes against Balraj for every wild swing I was able to make.

Eventually Balraj, still disguised as the mage Jallarzi, disappeared; apparently teleporting away. We took the respite to help the other members of the Watch against the zombies. Afterward the Watch-woman offered to search the first floor in case Balraj was still nearby. It was a reasonable suggestion and I ordered a search of the building. We found no other living bodies however.

Semina found me shortly there-after but wasn't much help beyond providing her version of the events. Unfortunately anyone that could back up her story was dead. Given what happened, I don't doubt that Semina would have been killed if she had stayed there.

No one remembers seeing the Watch-woman during or after the search of the building.

---

* I don’t know why I assumed they were walking. In retrospect it doesn’t make much sense to me; but in my mind the City Watch is always walking. Too much Terry Pratchett I expect.

** I allowed Kestral an Intelligence check to remember the normal operations of the gambling house.

** Balraj had a modified alter self going on. It wasn’t normally one of the creature’s abilities, so I decided to make it an amulet that granted the ability. I recall afterwards that I messed up how I used the ability. I messed up a second time by forgetting to make the amulet available as loot.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Originally Posted by Wasteland Knight
Seravin,

As of the current day, are you and your players still playing Night Below, or have you wrapped up the campaign by now? From what I read of your posts in the Night Below Conversion thread, it sounds as if you've at least finished the converting the original to 3.5. And the stat blocks you posted for the heroes are pretty advanced. Any chance of ever seing Ashimar, Panther, Aerseleth, and Tore's stats?

Heh. Therein lies a story - hardly any of it good.
I'll preface this by saying that by this point in the story hour Ashimar is pretty much out of the story for good, except as an NPC. Tore was likewise retired from cohort to NPC in favor of Aerseleth (she's still around and important though).

I made a big push about two years ago to finish the book 3 conversion because my players were just finishing book 2. About the same time Jallarzi's player dropped out - due to lack of interest I was told. So I sucked it up and moved on with the remaining three players.

There was intermittent play for the following ten months as both work and the conversion effort sucked away at my time. About this time last year I had to put the game to rest as some certification requirements and planned vacations came into play.

Eight months ago Jared's player disappeared. There were some personal things going on and I was not as attentive as I should have been (he was one of the remote players). As such I didn't get to hear how he resolved things. All I know is that his phone was disconnected and he didn't respond to any other communication effort.

Because of that I put the game on indefinite hold, hoping he'd call - but somewhat grateful for the extended break. The players had explored most of the non-plot driven areas of book III and knew about the ultimate bad-guys - but were still hesitant to take them on.

I've had for the last year playing a halfling artificer/rogue who was going to be the greatest tailor in the world. That was fun.

Starting two weeks ago I decided to pick up the game again - this time with the Thursday game crowd. The new guy (at least to this campaign) has decided to play a mage. In order to get him up to speed with a new high level character I'm running the players through the Giant series to pick up some play experience (and dm experience).

Kestral and Kellron's players are playing new characters for this part. Once they're done with this they'll meet up with original group and there will be some character exchanges. Then Kestral, Kellron, Dumal, and probably one or two other NPC's will hopefully continue the fight into the Sunless Sea.

I can certainly post some character sheets if there's interest. I was pretty poor at keeping a clear trail of character sheets - something that turned out to bite me when folks started leaving; but I do have some.

See: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=60096 for the characters as of 16th level - but note that there are some spoilers too (my players stay out).

I can revive that thread if folks are interested.

Seravin

Explorer
I’m What!?

Just a little north and east of Corlean’s central square is the Watch House, the headquarters of the City Watch. The long, two-story building is made of same gray stone as most other buildings in Corlean, and serves as a meeting place and temporary jail for the City Watch. Most prisoners who find themselves here are relegated to the cells beneath the building; certain prisoners rate a different treatment however. Highborn prisoners and those known to use magic are instead incarcerated in special cells located on the second floor; cells which the Library has specifically warded against spells.

Kellron’s, Jared’s, and Jallarzi’s status as members of the church and Library earned each of them their own cell on the second floor. The cells could be described as spartan, but each one was furnished with a bed, desk and chair. The cells had no windows, so lighting was provided by a small, magical, brass globe that could glow softly on command. They were the only magical items that would function in the cells – indeed they were powered by any spell that was cast in the room.

The sun was well past noon when the watchman gathered the three prisoners from their cells and led them to an office on the first floor. Watch-Captain Zed was waiting for the three friends and stood as they entered.

Not being one to waste time, the Watch-Captain waved them to the chairs in front of his desk and began speaking as soon as everyone was seated. “I wanted to thank you for your cooperation. Most people are quite belligerent on being arrested. Your attitude is refreshing and has a lot to do with why you’re now here.”

He took a deep breath before continuing. “I went to the Blue Gorgon this morning to verify Semina’s account of what happened.” He paused and looked at each of the prisoners in turn. “When we got there it was on fire.” He looked directly to Jallarzi. “At least one witness identified you as starting it, miss.”

Before she could protest Zed continued. “The witness proved unreliable however. While there he raised the corpses and sent them to attack me and my men, and then took on your likeness when he attacked us. We were fortunate that we had backup nearby however. Unfortunately this supposed witness teleported away as soon as it became apparent that he was going to lose. I don’t think he would have taken your shape if he had had known we had you in custody at the time. I’ve been assured by the guards that none of you left your cells during this time.”

Zed let that sink in for a moment and continued on. “That’s the only good news that I’ve heard today. Journey-mage Jallarzi, I regret to inform you that as of this moment you are the senior mage in the city.”

“What!” Started Jallarzi. “What happened?”

“Over the last few days several of your colleagues had been rendered senseless. Master Wymeah was investigating the reason why when she was struck down late this afternoon by the same affliction. Based on this, and that you’re evidently being framed for Ker Deverex’s kidnapping, I’m going to risk my commission and set you free.” He smiled grimly. I have hopes that Colonel Megara’s vouchsafe and Watch-Herald Ladea’s recommendation will allow me to keep my job if this all goes to hell.” He snorted and his smile turned nasty. “Besides, I have a suspicion that you will be of more use to me running around free then wasting away here.” He eyed each of them in turn. “I’m risking a fair amount by freeing you however, so please don’t abuse this trust.”

Kellron, Jared, and Jallarzi all stood. Jared stepped forward and answered for them. “Thank you for this. Don’t worry; we’ll be on our best behavior. My only worry right now is that there might be another frame-up attempt.”

Watch-Captain Zed’s smile faded when he answered. “I think you can count on it, but hopefully not today.”

---

The three friends questioned the Watch-Captain on the downed wizards, and then made their way back to Sword House, careful and wary for they bore no weapon or armor or magic device. They would have been relieved to have known that several watchmen were trailing them in case of trouble, but none of the three friends had thought to look.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Save the Wizards

At Sword House, Kellron and Jared reported immediately to Colonel Megara who was relieved to see them.

“What are your plans now?” Asked the militant-priestess.

Kellron answered. “We’re going to Library to see what happened to the wizards. It can’t be a conincidence that they’ve all been taken out at the same time were framed.”

Colonel Megara nodded. “Good luck then.”

While they were gearing up, Jared performed a sending to Kestral, telling her they would meet at the Library. She replied back, confirming that she would be there and that the money out of The Blue Gorgon had been stolen.

---

By chance, Kestral made it to the Library before the others, but she didn’t have to wait long. A few minutes later, Kellron, Jared, and Jallarzi strode up and met the young woman in the courtyard immediately in front of the main building. They quickly brought each other up to speed.

All the money was stolen out of The Blue Gorgon?” Asked Jallarzi.

“It was. You know about the fight in the Gorgon?”

“The Watch-Captain told us.” Confirmed Jared.

Kestral thought for a moment and then continued. “Afterwards we searched the building for the false-Jallarzi. I didn’t think we would find her, so I went to the main office instead. I found an entrance to the underground vault from there.” She shook her head in disgust. “Everything was gone; down to the last copper piece.” She looked at them. “The odd part was when I found the accounting books. Our transaction last night wasn’t recorded.”

Everyone grimaced. The implication was fairly obvious; someone had just walked away with their money with no trace. Now wasn’t the time to investigate it though, they were at the Library for another reason.

“All the wizards are incapacitated?” Asked Kestral, somewhat incredulously.

“According to the City Watch.” Confirmed Jared. “The Watch-Captain said that Master Wymeah came back here with some watchmen after we were jailed. The watchmen say she was just inside when she cast two spells of some sort. She collapsed immediately afterwards.”

“Huh.” Said Kestral. She didn’t have a clue. “So what’s next?”

“I’m going to check for magic first, then we’re going inside.” Said Jallarzi. So saying she began casting one of the first cantrips she had ever learned. Almost as soon as she cast it she gave a short scream and almost staggered to her knees.

Few people know how to craft a psychic poison, much less know of the existence of the spell for that matter. Psychic poison is a spell-trap that attacks the mind of any spell caster that uses a divination or mind-control spell within its own area. The spell-trap requires a bit of the brain from a human or human-like creature. The casting extracts and amplifies all the madness and evil that the owner of the brain had witnessed; usually overwhelming the diviner who accidentally included the poisoned object in his or her scan.

Nishita, a renegade sorceress of hundreds of years ago, was the first to discover the technique that would allow her to stupefy a caster and further to tie the effect to an object, like a door-knocker or even a building if it was small enough. This application of the psychic poison spell has been named after her.

Jallarzi’s detect magic casting opened her mind and allowed her to see the colors of magics that surrounded the buildings and grounds. She didn’t even have a moment as a roiling, purple-black haze stabbed out from the Library building and enveloped her for a moment before seeping into her pores.

The suddenness of the attack overwhelemed the journey-mage and she found she was unable to resist. Her mind clouded and suddenly it felt like she was trying to think through a drug-induced haze. It was only the support provided by her Circlet of Baeravan that allowed her to maintain a hold on all of her spells*.

“Jallarzi!” Cried Jared, rushing to support the staggered wizard. “What is it?”

Jallarzi tried to focus. “A psychic poison I think. I’ve been infected.

“What was it cast on?”

Jallarzi had still maintained her concentration despite the blow to her psyche; she had the presence of mind to not want to cast a second divination spell. “It looks like the entire building.” She said after a moment.

Jared didn’t consider himself a healer, but Sarath had seen fit to grant him the ability to fix battle created wounds. While Jallarzi was concentrating, Jared grasped his holy symbol and invoked a prayer of heal to the war-god. None could see it, but the poisonous curse was driven from Jallarzi’s body preventing further damage.

“Thank you.” She said to Jared. “Now what do we do about the building?’

“I have an idea.” Pronounced the priest as he walked up the building. Laying his hands against the stone structure, he invoked a dispel evil against the magics on the building. Almost immediately the courtyard seemed to be lighter, as if a shadow had been lifted from them.

“Shall we go in?” Asked Jared, satisfied with his efforts.

---

The lion-headed door-knocker let them pass, greeting Jallarzi as the resident master. The young journey-mage didn’t like her bump in status, but there wasn’t much she could do about it. She invited everyone in.

The building was empty and silent. Except that the lighting was still bright and the floors still clean, it could have been a haunted house. No one dwelled on that thought for long. Staying together, the group quickly searched each room, looking for anything immediately out of place. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) nothing jumped out at them. Eventually they were back in the entry-way.

“What now?” Asked Kellron.

“Let’s take a look at the wizards.” Said Jared. “The Watch-Captain said that they were taken to Healing House. Maybe if we can convince them to heal the wizards we can get some answers out of them.” Jared’s assumption, shared by the others, was that the wizards were only being cared for while invalids, and that healing magics weren’t being used.

Kestral nodded. “That sounds like a good idea, but we need more information than that. I’m going to poke around town and see what I can find out.”

They discussed their options a bit as well as what Kestral should be asking about, and then split up. Whatever they found out at Healing House would be left in a note for Kestral.

---

Within the Shtaran Empire, the worship of Niela, Moran, and Vieata is minor. They are deities to be respected and venerated and thanked; but true worship rarely happens. The religion is considered little more than a useful cult and the temples are rarely more than shrines contained within the building that serves as hospital and funeral home.

In Corlean, Healing House is a temple to Niela, Lady of Life, her husband Moran, Granter of Death, and their daughter, Vieta, Soul-Taker. The priests and priestesses of these gods heal when they can, ease the passing of life when they have to, and guard against the dark things that would keep a soul from its final fate.

The average person in Corlean is thankful for Healing House, but their attitudes are inline with Imperial beliefs. Still, the members of Healing House are kindly regarded and they receive a number of donations for their charitable works.

Jared, Jallarzi, and Kellron arrived on the steps of Healing House soon enough and were immediately asked to meet with Healer Abron, high priest to Niela. They are instead brought before a young woman clad in the white robes of the healers.

“I’m Healer Rowan.” Spoke the woman. Kellron can tell that she’s distressed about something, but is hiding it well. “I’m told you are from Sword House?” She asked, looking at Sarath’s symbol hanging from Jared’s neck.

“We are.” Affirmed Kellron, indicating himself and Jared. “This is journey-mage Jallarzi from the Library.”

“I see. You’re here about the wizards then?’

“We are.” Answered Jared. “We were hoping to meet with Healer Abron and see if there’s anything we can do to expedite their recovery.”

A bitter smile crossed Rowan’s mouth and disappeared. “Follow me.” She said abrubtly, standing and leading them from the meeting room. She leads them to a small wing and eventually to a large room taken up by a bed. Lying upon the bed was an older man in his late fifties, his black hair turning gray. His eyes were opened but his mind was elsewhere. A thin line of drool was being cleaned up by a distressed attendant. The attendant looked up at their entrance. “He’s no better, Rowan.” She said.

Rowan nodded. “This is Healer Abron. Whatever affected Master Asuras has affected him too. I’m afraid you will have to deal with me.”

“I don’t suppose you can cast a heal spell, asked Jared, eyeing the twenty-something woman doubtfully.

She shook her head. “I’m one of the few that can cast any healing spells here, and that is far beyond my ability.” Her voice was apologetic.

“Damn.” Swore the priest. “I don’t suppose you have any scrolls about?”

Rowan looked a little taken aback at the question. “We do have some holy scrolls, relics of the altar. I have not the strength to use them though.”

“I can.” Said Jared. “Bring them here.”

Rowan bristled at the command. A virtual stranger was asking her to bring their most powerful relics and casually stated that he, a soldier, could use them where she couldn’t. She paused a moment to consider her options. A message was already on the way to Karos and she wasn’t sure she could trust this unknown soldier.

“I don’t think I should.” She started. “I don’t even know who you are…” Rowan didn’t get a chance to finish. Neither Jared or Jallarzi were willing to take no for an answer.

“You aren’t going to tell me no.” Started Jared, dropping into command mode***. “I have the ability to heal your high priest.” He told her waving at the bed. “I just don’t have the spell prepared right now.”

Jallarzi then spoke. “How do you think your master is going to feel if you wasted time and prevented him from his cure?” Asked the journey-wizard. “You could get into trouble for that.”

Rowan wavered for a moment, duty and protectiveness warring against hope Finally she relented. “Very well. Stay here. I’ll be back shortly with a scroll.”

A few minutes later Jared was looking over an unfurled scroll. He wasn’t as adept as Jallarzi in reading magic, so he had invoked a minor orison of reading. Satisfied that he understood what he was looking at, Jared began the invocation and touched Healer Abron’s brow. A pale, green glow suffused the old man’s body and he suddenly heaved.

“Look…!” Abron stopped himself and looked about, taking it all in. I take it that I have you to thank?” He asked Jared, eyeing the now blank scroll in the priest’s hand.

Jared smiled. “You do.” He nodded to Rowan. “She brought us the scroll to help heal you. We were hoping you can use it on the other afflicted wizards.”

Healer Abron took a deep breath and then got out of bed. “Then thank you very much for healing.” He looked to Rowan. “You did good Rowan. Is everyone else all right?”

“Yes sir. Only you and the wizards have been infected so far. We quarantined everyone else.”

“Good girl..” Abron then looked to Jared and extended his hand. “Again, thank you. Whatever aid I can give you, I will.”

Jared took the offered hand and shook it. “That’s good to hear. We think we know how the wizards were infected, but how were you taken?”

Abron grimaced. “I was trying to figure out why Master Asuras wasn’t responding to a prayer of neutralize poison. Him being a wizard and all, I thought I’d try and diagnose him with a detect magic. I figured there was a curse involved of some sort.”

Jared nodded. “He must have something on him that’s poisoned. If we take it off, you should be able…”

“I can’t.” Interrupted Abron.

“”What?”

“I don’t have the skill to reliably use the healing scrolls.” Said Abron apologetically. “That’s why they’re only to be used in emergencies. Do you know what kind of fall-out an improperly cast heal spell could cause.”

Jared shuddered. “Point. I could cast it though."

“That’s what I was thinking. Unfortunately we only keep three here and you’ve already used one. Also, I don’t think Master Asuras has a cursed object on him; the curse was radiating from him.” He paused a moment letting that sink in.

“Under the circumstances I’ll give you one of the remaining healing scrolls. I have to keep one of them back just in case something happens.”

“Like now?” Asked Jallarzi, somewhat sarcastically.

Abron favored the wizard a long look. “Like if something happened to the Duke. Master Asuras was at the ducal estate when he collapsed.”

“Oh.”

Abron nodded. "We have a duty to the crown and we take it seriously. The good news is with what I now know, I think it likely that the wizards will recover on their own. The damage wasn't irrepairable. It's just going to take some time. The bad news is that I think I heard that Master Asuras sees magic naturally now. I think he would be reinfected every moment that he's still cursed.

The three friends conversed with each other for a few minutes and made their decision. First they went to see Master Asuras. The most powerful wizard in Corlean was lying helplessly in bed, catatonic.

Steeling himself, Kellron opened up his divinely gifted ability to sense evil and he staggered under the weight of the spell enveloping the wizard. Like Jallarzi before him, his mental resistance buckled under the suddenness of the spell and he felt his reason flee – leaving him with the capacity of a six year old child. "It's bad evil." He told his friends.

Believing Master Asuras helpless right now, they proceed to use the scroll of heal on Master Wymeah. The spell works just as it had on Healer Abron. Once the master is told of what has happened, Jared asks Jallarzi to teleport Kellron back to Sword House. Hopefully Colonel Megara will be able to cast a restoration on the paladin. Meanwhile, Jared and Master Wymeah would look in on all the wizards brought in and see what else they can determine.

Jallarzi’s teleport brought her and Kellron directly to the steps of Sword House. She took Kellron’s arm and led him gently into the temple. The paladin smiled and followed her, trusting the wizard implicitly.

The acolytes and soldiers there quickly took note of their presence, and the senior one (a lieutenant thought Jallarzi), hurried over to them. “Where’s Jared?” Asked the young officer.

“He’s still at the Temple of Niela.” Answered Jallarzi. “We need to see Colonel Megara right away. Kellron’s been affected by a spell.”

The young officer looked concerned. “Then you haven’t heard? Colonel Megara went up to the Duke to plead for you. His Grace had her arrested on charges for conspiracy to fraud.”

“What? Why?”

“The Duke says that you three have evaded taxes on a king’s ransom of goods. Colonel Megara’s defense of you proved that she was in on the fraud.”

Jallarzi swore.

---

*Jallarzi failed the Will save and took maximum initial damage from the psychic poison. Few things worry a wizard then losing six point of Intelligence in a single strike. As it was, her Headband of Intelligence +6 soaked up the initial damage.

**In retrospect I should have had the door-guardian be rendered senseless, since it can perform a number of divination type spells. That might have been eerier for the party. C’est la vie.

***Since Kestral wasn’t here, Jared tried intimidating the priestess with Jallarzi assisting. They succeeded.

Last edited:

Seravin

Explorer
Psychic poison is one of my favorite effects out of the BoVD. It's evocative of the sink-hole of evil that drives others to madness.

That said, there were some things I hand-waved for purposes of the game. The biggest is that I assumed that all the wizards failed their Will saves. The DC would have been 20-22, but it's a Will save. Master Asuras has three permanent divination spell effects plus a detect scrying on himself so he had to make an automatic four saving throws when first exposed. Assuming 15th level and the DMG's Wizard NPC stats, he had a 50% chance of making any one of them. It was unlikely he would fail all three - and even if he did, it was even more unlikely that he would have been completely incapacitated on the first exposure.

Of course if the psychic poison was maximized or empowered...

At any rate, Master Asuras was then inflicted with an extended creature-based version of the poison. I ruled that he would be re-exposed roughly every fifteen minutes - based on the normal duration of his permancied spells.

Next, another extended psychic poison was cast on the Library building. I'd do that differently now, as I've since established that the majority of interior is actually a Mordenkainen's Mansion overlaying a normal building - sigh.

The poor apprentices and journey-mages who were going through their basic divination class all failed their saves and the assumption was that their stats weren't necesarily elite.
I also assumed that they didn't have the spellcraft necessary to recognize what was happening. So the class cast read magic, started encountering problems and those who could then cast detect magic.

In short, psychic posion made a good deus-ex machina way to disable the high-level mages in the city and create a crisis for the only other capable mages (the pc's) to solve.

One funny part (for me) was that this was the first time the players had an idea of how powerful they were becoming relative to the NPC's. They had all been warned that the average NPC was going to be low-level, with only a handful of high-level NPC's in certain places. It didn't really sink in until Jared's player found out that Jared had access to better healing then the High Priest of Niela. Heck, Jared's player didn't know it then, but he was now a higher level than his superior, Col. Megara.

Seravin

Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imruphel
Handwaving is good when it keeps the game moving.

I'm really going to have a really good look at psychic poison ASAP!

You mentioned that the PCs are now becoming more powerful than certain NPCs. Have they considered building their own temples, founding their own guilds etc...? I'm asking this because one of the things at least one of my players wants to explore in our next campaign is what it means to become a power in a city, region or even a world. I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Power of Faerun for some help with this.

Psychic poison is a great plot device. My inner-child danced when I thought of using it.

The players have all thought about putting their mark on the land. Kellron already has Broken Spire Keep and his followers.
As for everyone else, we'll see soon enough what they did.

I have to agree that Power of Faerun would have been good to have before I started this. I'm interested in seeing what they do. For now, I'm now using the Reputation and Contact rules out of Unearthed Arcana. At least I am now - at this point of the campaign I was using a house rule of 1 contact per rank of Gather Information.

For that matter, some must have books for a Night Below campaign include:
Lords of Madness - WoTC
Underdark - WoTC
Tome of Horrors - Necromancer Games
I also suggest Monster Manual II, Monster Manual III, and Fiend Folio.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads