Serenity for d20?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
dungeon blaster said:
Do you think that T20 would work better for a setting like Serenity than D20M?

At the outset I contemplated it for my Western Sci-Fi game. It was up between True20, D20Modern, Alternity, and Spycraft2.0.

My player-base eliminated Alternity, as they wanted something familiar. The amount of work involved in converting Spycraft nixed it, as well as me being the only person with the book and living about an hour from the rest of the group.

True20 just didn't ... feel ... right. The damage save was close to convincing me, but I wanted a little bit 'more'. Something about the True20 classes feels too "cartoony" for the grittiness I was looking for. I think, in the end, it's the classes. The 3 classes mesh well, but the Adept needs to get dropped for a non-SFX game, so you're down to 2. While "anything" can be done with those two classes, they didn't seem to hold up as well as we wanted with robustness.

So, in the end, we're just going to move forward with d20Modern and some changes. (Haven't played yet, still putting things together.)

--fje

dungeon blaster

First Post
Interesting. I am actually trying to decide between T20, D20M, and Mutants and Masterminds (!). I like how M&M doesn't have classes, but obviously it isn't really designed for sci-fi action. So, I still haven't decided. :\

buzz

Adventurer
Felon said:
Once it stops being a series and starts being an RPG, then you no longer have the luxury of just taking it easy and avoiding answering the obvious questions (even in a "Gunsmoke" RPG). If you have a character playing an engineer, he's probably going to want to have some idea of how a spaceship works. If you have characters trying to pull off get-rich-quick schemes, they're probably going to want to know something a ting or two about the economics system.

Ans like I said, it's lame for non-scientific reasons as well.
This is only true if you're coming at the subject from a GURPS-like/hard-Sim perspective. There is absolutely no reason that an RPG needs to nail things down as much as you want them to be, or needs to be thoroughly plausible. You could do a Firefly RPG with Prime Time Adventures or simlarly Nar system and none of the science stuff would matter at all, save as color.

I mean, what really matters in a Firefly game is:

A) "Dang, we're low on fuel. Time to pull another job."

and

2) "We got plenty of fuel to get to Persephone, don't you worr... Lookout! Reavers!"

:)

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I posted this back when the original conversation was going on, but I think it got wiped out. I got this map from Firefly.net, but thought it was pretty cool and might be usable for anyone planning a campaign in the Firefly universe:

slingbld

Explorer
I know, I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but *bump*
Does anyone have any updated links for Serenity D20? I've been searching throughthe boards here and all around google but have not managed to find anything. All the current links I come across are old/dead links.
Any help is apreciated!!

Sling~

rgard

Adventurer
I know, I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but *bump*
Does anyone have any updated links for Serenity D20? I've been searching throughthe boards here and all around google but have not managed to find anything. All the current links I come across are old/dead links.
Any help is apreciated!!

Sling~

I'd go with Traveller D20 (T20). The previous experience rules work well to create a space ship crew of veterans. Match the tech you see in the show to the Tech Level descriptions in the game. You are good to go then.

Remove ads