Serpents Skull AP - should I do it?

Feeroper

Explorer
Hey everyone,

Im trying to decide if I should take advantage of the Paizo sale and get Serpants Skull. I picked up the entire line of both Second Darkness and Legacy of Fire due to the super cheap prices, but SS is a little more expensive and with shipping costs to canada being about $28 on top, Im wondering if the minor discount Id be getting is worth it?

Ive read alot of nasty reviews and comments on some of the entries in the SS AP line (Book 3 seems to get the most hate). On the flip side Ive also read some pretty good things too. THe theme of the AP does sound appealing, but at the same time, I am currently an AP subscriber and have been recieving the S&S AP and Id fear it would be a little too similar in flavour.

Ive already picked up the RotRL Anniversary edition, got the 2 ultra cheap AP's and I currently have all of Carrion Crown and S&S (last book is out soon) and will be getting the Shatered Star path as well. Is it worthwhile to pick up SS right now with this sale or should I pass on it? There are technically a couple other AP's Id rather get if I could choose what one was on sale, but as it is just SS I find myself indecisive.

Edit: Part of me kinda just wants to download the Age of Worms AP PDFs while the dungeon magazines are on sale as Ive never played/run that one. It would be cheaper and no shipping cost.

Last edited:

BobROE

Explorer
Hey everyone,

Im trying to decide if I should take advantage of the Paizo sale and get Serpants Skull. I picked up the entire line of both Second Darkness and Legacy of Fire due to the super cheap prices, but SS is a little more expensive and with shipping costs to canada being about $28 on top, Im wondering if the minor discount Id be getting is worth it?

Ive read alot of nasty reviews and comments on some of the entries in the SS AP line (Book 3 seems to get the most hate). On the flip side Ive also read some pretty good things too. THe theme of the AP does sound appealing, but at the same time, I am currently an AP subscriber and have been recieving the S&S AP and Id fear it would be a little too similar in flavour.

Ive already picked up the RotRL Anniversary edition, got the 2 ultra cheap AP's and I currently have all of Carrion Crown and S&S (last book is out soon) and will be getting the Shatered Star path as well. Is it worthwhile to pick up SS right now with this sale or should I pass on it? There are technically a couple other AP's Id rather get if I could choose what one was on sale, but as it is just SS I find myself indecisive.

Edit: Part of me kinda just wants to download the Age of Worms AP PDFs while the dungeon magazines are on sale as Ive never played/run that one. It would be cheaper and no shipping cost.

I like it from a thematic and overall plot sense (and it's really nothing like S&S except that you start on a boat), however it does require more work that some of the other APs, mostly in book 3, though I think book 5 is also a little too open ended.

I really like books 1 and 2 of it though.

delericho

Legend
I liked Serpent's Skull.

However, if the only reason you're considering it is the Paizo sale, then I recommend waiting - you say you already have a couple of APs to keep you going, and I'm sure there will be other sales down the road. :)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
As someone who played through it, I think it's a mixed bag. It's very much a "race" adventure and it's very easy to be in over your head quickly.

I enjoyed parts of it, but if I was to use it as a GM, I'd say use the locations, but not the plot.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I thought AoW was out for free by now?

I loved Serpent's Skull, both playing and GMing it. It may need some more creativity and adjustments though. There are sandboxy elements in this AP. The plot is not too bad but depending on the group and what had already happened in your Golarion, you could adapt the background story a bit. It's not an AP to pick as first AP to GM.

Darkhaunter

Explorer
Serpent's Skull AP rocks

I've heard great things about this AP. I have the books and am itching to run it, myself!

There's a good thread about the Serpent's Skull path here. There's even ideas about adding new twists.

Also, if you do run it and want to add some twists or expand it, you might want to take a look at the Grimoire Viperian for its snake-themed prestige-classes, monsters, spells and supernatural signs.

Crothian

First Post
This might be the next one we play through. I'm thinking of doing it as a sequel to Council of Thieves. There are some elements of that AP that I've foreshadowed dealing with in Serpent's Skull.

Feeroper

Explorer
Yeah, I wound up deciding to get this AP, and I also picked up Curse of the Crimson Throne as well (The entire thing, not just the sale items). This way I saved a little on shipping as it was over $100. I priced it out and with the final price including shipping, each book is basically costing me a little over $11 dollars CAD in the end, so it winds up being a good deal.

Remove ads