Session Accessories

Mwm318

First Post
Hi Everyone,

What accessories do you bring to your in person game sessions?

This question is focused on going beyond the basics - dice, game books, pencils, paper/notebook, and snacks/food. For example, members of my group bring game mats, figurines, laser pointers, back scratchers (used to help move figurines in the middle of the table), and a dice tower. Some are also using Google Sheets or iOS apps for character management.

What accessories do you find helpful? Please include links if possible.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In general, I tend to use D&D Miniatures (and Pathfinder miniatures) and an erasable Flipmat in some of my sessions - I wander back and forth between periods of using minis and periods not using them.

That's mainly it from my side - although as the organiser, I also make sure to have a lot of log sheets, pregens and blank character sheets on me to give out as required.

Cheers!

Mwm318

First Post
In general, I tend to use D&D Miniatures (and Pathfinder miniatures) and an erasable Flipmat in some of my sessions - I wander back and forth between periods of using minis and periods not using them.

That's mainly it from my side - although as the organiser, I also make sure to have a lot of log sheets, pregens and blank character sheets on me to give out as required.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback! When you use minis, how do you visually indicate buffs/rebuffs/conditions?

Do you have any notable carrying cases for any of your stuff?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thanks for the feedback! When you use minis, how do you visually indicate buffs/rebuffs/conditions?

No. They are rarely needed in 5E - on very rare occasions we may use a die or glass bead, but mostly I just keep a side note.

Do you have any notable carrying cases for any of your stuff?

Nope. Just plastic containers I throw everything into. D&D Miniatures are *tough*. Some are sectioned a little so all minis for one encounter go together.

Cheers!

Nikmal

First Post
I bring my laptop, Miniatures (D&D and Pathfinder Battles), I also bring a 40" LCD TV screen to the table at my FLGS and even to Conventions. I use this for my maps with Fog of War and spell templates on screen with the maps. I size the squares on the screen to fit the miniatures then.
Below is a few pictures :)

2015-10-07 19.56.58.jpg2015-08-05 20.50.47.jpg

darjr

I crit!
I REALLY wan't to do the TV thing, but it isn't in the budget just yet, at least not where I can sling a tv around. Does a 720p work OK for this? Or is the resolution to terrible?

Nikmal

First Post
I REALLY want to do the TV thing, but it isn't in the budget just yet, at least not where I can sling a tv around. Does a 720p work OK for this? Or is the resolution to terrible?
It actually works really well. I can increase the resolution on it but find I don't need to do so to much. There are times that I have thought about it though. Oh by the way, I use a carrying case to carry this around. It also holds the cables and power cords for the TV too. I have it on a set of risers to protect it from errant spills and to increase the air flow underneath too. It also has a pre-cut protective piece of plexi-glass over the screen to protect it from scratches too. :)

StinkyEttin

First Post
I'm pretty minimalist. I bring dice, pencil, paper, a PHB, *maybe* a mini or two. If I'm running, tack on the adventure, my MM and a few more minis.

Mwm318

First Post
Awesome setup @Nikmal!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Here are some items I found online which might be interesting:

- Alea Tools 1 inch markers - http://www.aleatools.com/category-s/36.htm
- Steel Squire spell templates - http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/steelsquirespelltemplates-red.aspx
- Dice Towers and trays - wyrmwoodgaming.com
- Fifth Edition Character Sheet/Fight Club 5 - iOS applications
- Clear Plastic Mini Riser - http://paizo.com/products/btpy85op?Combat-Tiers-Family-Pack

Edit: With new list of items and links.
Edit2: Added iOS app.
Edit3: Added combat tier link.
Edit4: Added Fight Club 5 iOS app.

Last edited:

Remove ads