Session Accessories

Caecafortuna

First Post
For encounters/expeditions, I like to stick to theater of the mind - it allows new players to better use their imaginations. The only accessory I like are colored index cards that I will use to track initiative by hanging them over my DM Screen.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Theater of the mind here, so I don't need much. I have a couple rules cheat sheets I found online, a dry erase mat and markers so I can sketch out more complicated combats for rough positioning. Index cards.That's about it. No minis since I'm too cheap, mostly. Oh, a laminated custom initiative tracker/ pc ref sheet I made also, so I have passive perception and AC handy.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Ive been a minis only dm since probably the mid 90's. Although in saying that I use the Gamemastery Flipmats (and in fact there is a great Forested one for a certain ambush in a recent scenario). Generally Ill draw as a I go.

I use minis for player characters

A combination of Monster vault/gamemash and Pathfinder Pawns for my guys (Im lacking an umber Hulk!). THere is a pretty good range when you combine it all.then I just shove them back in the box when done :)

I have an Accordian Stile File Folder where I keep print outs of scenarios, all the maps I use in one of the folders (laminated). I keep Extra printed copies of the EE Player companion (yeah technically people should print this out for themselves but mine never do), copies of the ROD players guide, blank character sheets , logsheets and a few pencils. Pencils once handed out rarely ever get back to me.

I do also have some of the condition tokens from GF9 but while nice I still wish we had cards instead. I only use the tokens for my monsters not for players. Cards would be so much easier to just hand out to the person. (kinda like Conditons Cards that Paizo produces)

I use blank paper to record hp damage for my monsters and init. I dont normally use a dm screen.. I find it.. limiting and separating.

Nikmal

First Post
[MENTION=12225]Nikmal[/MENTION]

Where do you get your minis? Do you get a special brand?
They are all pre-painted Miniatures. Mostly Pathfinder Battles Miniatures with some D&D Mixed in )old prepainted D&D Minis and starting to collect the new ones once again). I have several sets of each set both Paizo and WotC put out recently. :)

Nevvur

Explorer
I use roughly the same tools in home games as the Expeditions I run. A picture is worth a thousand words (or maybe around 100 in this case)

dmtoolbox.jpg

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
That looks like a really cool system. Are the tiles all pre-written on, or can you do that as needed so you could have matching tiles on the Init line and on a battle map? That is, goblins are Green"A" for Init, but tiles A1 --> A4 on the map, a Bugbear commander is Red "B" and B1, etc.

Where are the tiles from?

Remove ads