D&D General Setting up Campaign Conflict with 13th Age Icons

squibbles

Adventurer
I created this thread to suggest a campaign setup—a rubric for creating factions and conflict in D&D games. There are some great ideas in this vein already out there on the internets, such as the Powder Keg or The Price, and this “Icons” campaign setup is one that I have used and like.

So, in the 13th Age RPG rulebook, the first chapter is called “Icons,” and is a list of 13 powerful high-level NPCs around whom the 13th Age setting is organized and who, in that system, interact with PCs through special mechanics. Tbh, the icons in 13th age are all pretty boilerplate fantasy archetypes, they are:
  1. Archmage
  2. Crusader
  3. Diabolist
  4. Dwarf King
  5. Elf Queen
  6. Emperor
  7. Great Gold Wyrm
  8. High Druid
  9. Lich King
  10. Orc Lord
  11. Priestess
  12. Prince of Shadows
  13. The Three (Dragons)
HOWEVER, they are set up in a way that turns out to be really helpful as a worldbuilding constraint and creativity aid …at least for me.

Each entry for the 13 icons includes, among other info, a brief description of allies and enemies. Now that’s not new—lots of settings catalogue the relationships between major factions. What’s useful is the particular arrangement of relationships that 13th age created.

Most icons only list a couple of ally/enemy relationships, but some relationships are asymmetric (i.e. A is enemies with B, but B is not noted as enemies with A), and the factions are clustered into groups around two main conflicts with lots of antagonism within groups.

It looks like this:

Icons Diagram.png

Where red lines are enmities, green lines are alliances, dark lines (they’re supposed to be purple, /sigh) are more complicated relationships, and one-way red arrows suggest that the target of enmity is relatively uninterested in (or maybe unaware of) it.

In summary, the Emperor is the hub; he and a his allies (green) defend the status quo, with some allies (dark green) also allied to one another. There are two major challengers to the status quo (pink), the Lich King and the Orc Lord, but they are also hostile to each other. There is a smaller second conflict pitting the Diabolist and her sole ally (purple) against the Crusader and Great Gold Wyrm, which is mostly unconnected to either the Emperor’s coalition or its challengers. And finally, there are a couple of wildcard icons that have their own weird deals (gold), each with several enemies.

So when I create a setting with the Icons campaign setup, I first figure out what status quo the Emperor and his friends are defending. The status quo needn’t be something that the players will want to defend. It could be a coalition of devils, abominations, and maniacal autocrats. Or, alternately, the defenders of the status quo could all lead tiny factions and be losing ground to one or both challengers. The status quo conflict might even be overshadowed by the B-plot conflict.

I then start adding faction leader NPCs in the basic format below. Some NPCs should be leaders of cities or nations, others of cults or paramilitary factions, and a few should act mostly alone:
  1. Leader of the status quo coalition, usually the ruler of a large territory (Emperor)
  2. First close ally of the leader (Archmage)
  3. Second close ally of the leader (Priestess)
  4. First loose ally of the leader (Dwarf King)
  5. Second loose ally of the leader (Elf Queen)
  6. Third loose ally of the leader, also a player in the side conflict (Great Gold Wyrm)
  7. First major challenger—an existential or cosmic threat (Lich King)
  8. Second major challenger—a conventional threat (Orc Lord)
  9. Main antagonist in the side conflict (Diabolist)
  10. A tenuous ally of that antagonist and all-round agent of chaos (Prince of Shadows)
  11. First wildcard, the other player in the side conflict (Crusader)
  12. Second wildcard, a subtle enemy of the status quo leader (High Druid)
  13. Third wildcard, a force of destruction (The Three)
If 13 NPCs is feelin’ like too many, I drop some of the wildcard or Emperor’s ally ones and add them in later when/if I get cool ideas.

Alright, now the fun part, is that there’re a lot of weird inconsistencies in this broader structure. Why, for example, is the Elf Queen—2nd loose ally of the Emperor—also an ally of the High Druid, who regards the Emperor as an enemy? And why does the Elf Queen have complicated relationships with the Archmage, Dwarf King, and Priestess, despite being in the status quo coalition? The need to come up with explanations for these inconsistencies is what makes the arrangement useful. For me, they’re always more interesting/dynamic than the obvious ones I would have otherwise come up with.

The Icons campaign setup can be continent spanning or scale down to a small wilderness area and can work for lots of different milieu. Amongst the many settings I create compulsively, I have used it for an S&S Dark-Sun-alike but as Waterworld instead of Mad Max, a 50s Disney fairytale island hexcrawl with petty kings and old dark magic, a standard high fantasy world but with the Gith civil war as the B-plot, and an Eberron-ish WW1 setting with the squabbling kings of Europe swapped for uncaring deathless liches.

---K, questions---

Do you find this sort of campaign setup useful?
(If so, and you haven’t already, I strongly recommend reading the two blogs I linked up top, which are simpler and, probably, better ones than mine)

Do you ever use devices like this when creating a campaign? If so, what are they?

Do you have any suggestions that you think would improve the Icons setup?

squibbles

Adventurer
I'm glad you found it interesting.

Seeing as the network figure above is a little difficult to use, here's the same info presented in a different way:

Relationship of icon A (y axis) to icon B (x axis):
archmagecrusaderdiabolistdwarf kingelf queenemperorgold wyrmhigh druidlich kingorc lordpriestessprince of shadowsthree
archmage--------complexfriendlyhostilefriendly
crusader--------hostilecomplexhostilehostile
diabolisthostile--------hostilefriendly
dwarf king--------complexfriendlyhostile
elf queencomplexcomplex--------friendlyfriendlyhostilecomplexhostile
emperorfriendlycomplexfriendlyfriendly--------friendlyhostilehostilefriendly
gold wyrmhostilefriendly--------hostile
high druidhostilefriendlyhostile--------
lich kinghostilehostilehostile--------hostilehostilehostile
orc lordhostilehostilehostilehostile--------
priestessfriendlyhostilefriendlycomplex--------
prince of shadowshostilefriendlyhostile--------
threehostilehostilehostile--------

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Lovely stuff. I made my own set of "inspired by the originals" Icons*, meant to reflect a post-post-apocalyptic world. That is, a world right at the start of the proper recovery from the apocalypse, which I've mentioned on here a few times. I would need to go through and work out the specific relationships between them, but I imagine there would be somewhat more Complex and somewhat less Hostile or Friendly, as part of my goal with my Icons was to make most of them Ambiguous or at least midway between Heroic (or Villainous) and Ambiguous.

For a simple example, there is no Emperor in this setting because the Emperor died when the old world did. (The inhabitants refer to that time--which the people living in it saw as a time of upheaval!--as the Golden Age, which was followed by the Age of Darkness or "Ice Age" because, for reasons, the sun's light couldn't reach the world properly, dooming it to a slow and steady decline. But the spell has been broken, so now people refer to the current world as the Dawn Age, but whether the sun that rises is gold again or crimson-stained is yet to be determined.)

Instead, I have the Courtesan, also known as the Queen (or King, but currently Queen) of Coins, an economic leader rather than a military one. She holds delicate soft-power alliances with most major settlements, and can exert her influence subtly to shape things. Scholars of the Golden Age reckon that she is either what the Emperor's mantle has transformed into, or is the first flowering of a new Icon filling the same niche.

One of her on-again, off-again allies is the Storm Captain (aka the Orc Sailor, Davy Jones, Ol' Thunderboots.) At present, they are allies, rumored even to be lovers, as the current Storm Captain waged a successful mutiny against his predecessor, who had made a policy of preying upon the Courtesan's cities. His mutiny was definitely supported by the Courtesan, and now the ships of his fleet are focused on exploration and piratical activity in areas not under the Courtesan's influence. This affords the fleet reliable safe havens in the Courtesan's ports, while making sea-going trade safer inside her territory, but some of the pirates are discontent with such an arrangement.

Conversely, because worship of the gods nearly disappeared during the Age of Darkness, the Crusader is gone. Filling a similar role, however, is Many-Scars (aka Father Wolf, Woeden, or the Gladiator), the paragon of all those who survive, no matter the cost, no matter the depths to which they must sink, no matter how much they must change inside and out. As a result, he is strongly associated with werebeasts and other dark things. From his perspective, he does not have a specially hostile relationship with the Courtesan, and he respects to a certain extent that she is practically-minded and not above taking an underhanded solution when it arises. From her perspective, he is all that she is striving to tame, the dangerous, predatory wilds and the dark influences that managed to survive the Ice Age and now linger in the new one.

Full list, with a summary of their areas of interest/influence. Whenever a gendered title is used, both genders are valid; the one listed first is the "default," but there's nothing wrong with flipping them if you so choose. The only Icon which survived the Age of Darkness** is the Great Gold Wyrm, but even he was meaningfully changed, becoming more independent and somewhat more jaded when it comes to cooperating with his fellow Icons.
  • The Storm Captain (sailors, spring, storms/rain, winds, command, exploring); other names: The Orc Sailor, Davy Jones, Thunderboots
  • The Leviathan (sea creatures, earthquakes, nightmares, insanity, infinity); other names: The Deep Horror, Kraken, Ten-Arms
  • The Horned God (forests, prophecy, wine, song, mirth, lust, summer); other names: Cernunnos, Seelie King/Queen, The Satyr
  • The Changeling (trickery, dreams, poison, obsession, art, asceticism, winter); other names: Unseelie Queen/King, Nemesis, the Abhartach
  • Great Gold Wyrm (sacrifice, solitude, martyrdom, pride, enduring, faith); other names: The Bulwark, Hidden-Fire, Arjuna
  • The Council (pragmatism, greed, luxury, pride, scheming, enterprise); other names: the Hydra, Five-In-One, the Zirnitra
  • Master Mouse (poverty, revolution, giving, revenge, anarchy, cunning, harvest); other names: Mu'addib, Street-Rat, The Chastiser
  • Many-Scars (hunting, fighting, readiness, survival, predator, lycanthropy); other names: The Gladiator, Stalker, Father Wolf, Woeden
  • The Courtesan (merchants, diplomacy, order, intrigue, manipulation, wealth); other names: Queen/King of Coins, Honeytongue, Netspinner
  • The Librarian (history, alchemy, education, enchanting, medicine); other names: Chronicler, Rune-warden, the Chymist
  • The Faceted Eye (divination, mind, dreams, light, vision, secrecy, mirrors); other names: the Blind Cabal, Hagstone, All-Tales
  • The High Warlock (contracts, subjugation, omission, portals, sacrilege); other names: Demonbinder, Old Scratch, the Foresworn
  • The Pale Lady/Lord (death and undeath, disease, decay, night, underground); other names: Deathshead, the White Raven, the Vampire Queen/King

*I say this because you can see several symmetries in them, but several are massively changed. The Librarian, for example, is not the Archmage, though they fill the same role as the Archmage did. Instead, the Librarian is literally an extraterrestrial, whose ship crash-landed through Overworld and onto the mortal world proper. Unable to leave, but having a generally friendly (if very alien!) perspective on things, they have chosen to set up shop and offer healing and knowledge using their blend of magic, technology, and alchemy. As noted above, the only Icon who survived in their extant form from the Golden Age is the Great Gold Wyrm, but I have rewritten the story so his "I will fill the massive demon-hole with my own body" sacrifice is the thing which ends the Age of Darkness and allows the Dawn Age to begin.

**Arguably the Council is partially unchanged, but the addition/restoration of the Green (who is more neutral and values nature, albeit for instrumental ends) and the White (who is good-leaning, something of a philanthropist, but still a tycoon) has pulled the Icon to be more solidly Ambiguous. E.g. the Blue, White, and Green could form a voting bloc on the Council. A well-reasoned appeal to stability and growth could sway the Council toward "good," or at least beneficial, ends. Hence it is Ambiguous but tends to lean a bit dark because even the "best" of them (the White) can still be very ruthless.

Last edited:

squibbles

Adventurer
Lovely stuff. I made my own set of "inspired by the originals" Icons*, meant to reflect a post-post-apocalyptic world. [...]
Nice, that's cool to hear. I couldn't help wanting to invent my own icons immediately after reading that 1st chapter of 13th Age rulebook.

[...] I would need to go through and work out the specific relationships between them, but I imagine there would be somewhat more Complex and somewhat less Hostile or Friendly, as part of my goal with my Icons was to make most of them Ambiguous or at least midway between Heroic (or Villainous) and Ambiguous. [...]
That kinda surprises me though. On my first pass creating my own icons, I realized they were very boring with exactly the relationships to one another that one would expect. The structure I outlined here was the device I used to force myself to be more creative, even if only a bit more.

[...] Instead, I have the Courtesan, also known as the Queen (or King, but currently Queen) of Coins, an economic leader rather than a military one. She holds delicate soft-power alliances with most major settlements, and can exert her influence subtly to shape things. Scholars of the Golden Age reckon that she is either what the Emperor's mantle has transformed into, or is the first flowering of a new Icon filling the same niche. [...]
I like it, sounds quite thematic and gameable.

Conversely, because worship of the gods nearly disappeared during the Age of Darkness, the Crusader is gone. Filling a similar role, however, is Many-Scars (aka Father Wolf, Woeden, or the Gladiator), the paragon of all those who survive, no matter the cost, no matter the depths to which they must sink, no matter how much they must change inside and out. As a result, he is strongly associated with werebeasts and other dark things. From his perspective, he does not have a specially hostile relationship with the Courtesan, and he respects to a certain extent that she is practically-minded and not above taking an underhanded solution when it arises. From her perspective, he is all that she is striving to tame, the dangerous, predatory wilds and the dark influences that managed to survive the Ice Age and now linger in the new one.
Yeah, this is good stuff, it's what I like about the one way arrows. It forces you to come up with reasons for an asymmetric relationship. 'Why is this guy enemies with me if I'm not enemies with him?' is a question that can have lots of interesting answers.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Very cool stuff! I'm not familiar with 13th Age Icons, but your relationship diagram and relationship matrix are similar to the outputs from a faction randomizing scheme I made back in 3e/PF days. I never generated asymmetric relationships, though. That's a really nice thing to account for.

I like the use of color in the matrix. One thing that might add some value to that matrix is to keep the color, but use a word/phrase other than "hostile", "complex" or "ally". The color already conveys that level of info. But if you can distill the nature of that relation into a short phrase, that would add a lot of extra info to that table. For example, a red entry might read "at war" or "gang rivals" or something; since it's red, we know it's hostile relation at a glance, then the phrase itself adds specificity.

Anyway, nice work, thanks for sharing.

I have not read 13th age in years, although I have kept the escalation die as a house rule... I had forgotten about icons. I think I had made some for a world way long ago... but I like the idea.

squibbles

Adventurer
Very cool stuff! I'm not familiar with 13th Age Icons, but your relationship diagram and relationship matrix are similar to the outputs from a faction randomizing scheme I made back in 3e/PF days. I never generated asymmetric relationships, though. That's a really nice thing to account for.

I like the use of color in the matrix. One thing that might add some value to that matrix is to keep the color, but use a word/phrase other than "hostile", "complex" or "ally". The color already conveys that level of info. But if you can distill the nature of that relation into a short phrase, that would add a lot of extra info to that table. For example, a red entry might read "at war" or "gang rivals" or something; since it's red, we know it's hostile relation at a glance, then the phrase itself adds specificity.

Anyway, nice work, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the advice about adding extra info to the color coded table.

With the exact text in the 13th Age rulebook, it would go something like: high druid analog---"challenges the authority of"---emperor analog and dwarf king analog---"has offered a king's ransom for the head of"---prince of shadows analog. Though I think that diminishes the usefulness of the framework by being too specific.

Maybe a more general high druid analog---"undermines"---emperor analog and dwarf king analog---"wants dead"--prince of shadows analog, would add some value. I think I like leaving the nature of the relationships as an open ended--friendly, hostile, complex--but I haven't done it the way you've suggested, and that would be worth trying.

Remove ads