• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Setting: X-Files meets A-Team. System: ?

King-Panda

First Post
My group just wrapped up our first Pathfinder campaign, a low-level journey to the Mwangi Expanse. We've been discussing the setting for our next adventure, and have decided on trying something quite the opposite of our normal fantasy games.

With influences from the X-Files, the A-Team, Supernatural, Black Lagoon, Mercenaries (Video Game), and the Nightside book series, the party will be a band of modern-day hunters of the supernatural. The general public has next to no knowledge of this "other" world. The group's adventures will be roughly based on any given episode of the X-files or Supernatural, with the group modeled around a mercenary group similar to the A-Team.

I've been DMing for this group for almost a decade, but the vast majority of our play has been with D&D. We've played one jerry-rigged campaign of D20 Modern, but that's about it as far as non-fantasy games go. I'm basically looking for suggestions as to what kind of system would work best for this idea.

On one hand, I'd like to stick with the D20 system for it's familiarity. On the other, it'd be fun to try something new for such a different campaign. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

A game like Delta Green leaps to mind. There are quite a few other modern games out there as well. It is an under appreciated niche in my opinion. Conspiracy X is another that might work. For modern games in general I strongly recommend Savage Worlds. It works very well for a wide range of modern settings (and there are lots of specific setting books availabke as well). Personally I do not recommend D20 modern. It is okay but there are many better systems out there (though the setting that comes with d20 modern may fit your idea).

I put out some solid modern material if you like rules light and dice pools. Our games Terror Network and Horror Show could be used in combo to achieve a very nice A Team Meets X Files campaign.

Pbartender

First Post
My group just wrapped up our first Pathfinder campaign, a low-level journey to the Mwangi Expanse. We've been discussing the setting for our next adventure, and have decided on trying something quite the opposite of our normal fantasy games.

With influences from the X-Files, the A-Team, Supernatural, Black Lagoon, Mercenaries (Video Game), and the Nightside book series, the party will be a band of modern-day hunters of the supernatural. The general public has next to no knowledge of this "other" world. The group's adventures will be roughly based on any given episode of the X-files or Supernatural, with the group modeled around a mercenary group similar to the A-Team.

I've been DMing for this group for almost a decade, but the vast majority of our play has been with D&D. We've played one jerry-rigged campaign of D20 Modern, but that's about it as far as non-fantasy games go. I'm basically looking for suggestions as to what kind of system would work best for this idea.

On one hand, I'd like to stick with the D20 system for it's familiarity. On the other, it'd be fun to try something new for such a different campaign. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The Dresden Files RPG (FATE 3.0) would work great for this...

King-Panda

First Post
Thanks for the input! I've noticed Savage Worlds mentioned here quite frequently, but I will definitely look into all that you mentioned.

havard

Adventurer
Sounds like a cool campaign setup :)

Savage Worlds might be good.

Or Feng Shui.

Or Conspiracy X (Unisystem version)

-Havard

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
X-Files meets the A-Team

Will the campaign look like this:

random-39.jpg

;)

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I'd agree Savage Worlds would be a good choice. If you really want to stick to a d20-ish system, I'd recommend Mutants & Masterminds (PL 6-8) or maybe Spycraft.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd use GUMSHOE for the system -- Esoterrorists is exactly this, but Esoterrorists 2.0 isn't out yet and the rules were wonky in the game's first edition. I'd use Night's Black Agents (which is superspies vs the supernatural) and add in more monsters than just vampires.

Pelgrane Press Ltd Blog Archive Night’s Black Agents – The [REDACTED] Edition

I can't say enough good things about this game. If you're thinking of doing X-Files-esque mysteries, it's kinda perfect.

I've been running a NBA one-shot game with 6 PCs: an analyst, an assassin, a thief, a hacker, a faceman, and an Irish wheelman/explosives guy one week from retirement. Basic roles were stolen from Leverage for simplicity's sake, but I didn't need to. They felt very A-Team. In my scenario, they go up against a Russian terrorist who's selling suitcase-sized nukes to a Colombian drug lord. The supernatural slips in as well, but it's a nice blend of action and investigation.

Last edited:

Loonook

First Post
Esoterrorists . . .

X-Files-esque mysteries . . .

NBA one-shot game . . .

Globetrotters.png

Your idea intrigues me... :D.

For a Pathfinder group FATE or Gumshoe should be good if you won't go with d20 Alternity or Call of Cthulu. Personally I like the idea and think you should go with it

Remove ads