WOIN Severe Conditions definition discrepancy between NEW, NOW, and WRRD

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
Just looking for clarification on what are Severe Conditions and how they work. In NEW rulebook p. 173, there is a little subsection entitled "Severe conditions". It says "Some temporary conditions are more serious than others. A condition described as severe can only be shaken off by rolling a 6. Only temporary conditions can be severe." On the following page, it also says that "You can also use a LUC die to make a condition you have inflicted into a severe condition (requiring a roll of 6 to remove)."

However, the NOW rulebook p. 156 and the WRRD say that Severe Conditions are simply the 2nd levels of the listed conditions, acquired if the PC/NPC/monster is affected by the same condition a second time while they are already under the effect of the first level of the same condition. But that's it, no mention of needing a 6 to shake it off and no mention of being able to apply a LUC die to impose the Severe condition.

I suspect the answer is that the NEW wording is out-of-date since the WRRD was more recently updated, but I was hoping for some official confirmation of this. Thanks in advance.

Just looking for clarification on what are Severe Conditions and how they work. In NEW rulebook p. 173, there is a little subsection entitled "Severe conditions". It says "Some temporary conditions are more serious than others. A condition described as severe can only be shaken off by rolling a 6. Only temporary conditions can be severe." On the following page, it also says that "You can also use a LUC die to make a condition you have inflicted into a severe condition (requiring a roll of 6 to remove)."

However, the NOW rulebook p. 156 and the WRRD say that Severe Conditions are simply the 2nd levels of the listed conditions, acquired if the PC/NPC/monster is affected by the same condition a second time while they are already under the effect of the first level of the same condition. But that's it, no mention of needing a 6 to shake it off and no mention of being able to apply a LUC die to impose the Severe condition.

I suspect the answer is that the NEW wording is out-of-date since the WRRD was more recently updated, but I was hoping for some official confirmation of this. Thanks in advance.
Interesting find. The WRRD has the extreme conditions which do not appear in either OLD or NEW 1.2 rulebooks, that's a big change.

I also looked at NOW 1.2: if you go to pages 174-176, you see that there are two entries on each condition (one for the normal and the other for the severe version). The entry for some of those severe conditions (like disarmed) state that they can only be removed with a roll of 6. This is consistent with the disarmed condition in OLD.
So probably both things are true: severe conditions use the second entry of the condition, which in some cases means that it can only be shaken off with a roll of 6.
The part regarding using Luck dice is quite clear:
  • at p 152 of OLD it says "You can use a LUC die to cancel out a condition as a reaction when the condition is initially applied."
  • at p 174 of NEW it says "You can use a LUC die to cancel out a condition. You must do this when the condition is initially applied. You can also use a LUC die to make a condition you have inflicted into a severe condition (requiring a roll of 6 to remove)"

Overall it seems pretty consistent to me (although I didn't find any entries in OLD regarding inflicting severe conditions by spending a LUC dice).
If anything, the three core books could be improved with a bit of streamlining, generally the information is there but it can be a bit scattered. It would be great if this streamlining happened with v 1.3. (Any chance of this happening, @Morrus ?)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The
If anything, the three core books could be improved with a bit of streamlining, generally the information is there but it can be a bit scattered. It would be great if this streamlining happened with v 1.3. (Any chance of this happening, @Morrus ?)
The update is only an errata application. There's no intent for major reworking of the book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You are correct. Severe refers to the second level of severity of a condition. The 'Severe conditions' paragraph on page 173 is outdated.

The update is only an errata application. There's no intent for major reworking of the book.
Ok, but what about spending LUCK to increase the severity of a condition, for instance? Is that small enough to pass as an Errata in OLD (a single bullet point in the use of luck paragraph)?
You are correct. Severe refers to the second level of severity of a condition. The 'Severe conditions' paragraph on page 173 is outdated.
I'm not sure I'm following: if WRRD is the "correct" version (or at least the most up to date), and it reports 3 levels of severity, while OLD and NEW only report 2 levels of severity, wouldn't there be a large mismatch between the core books and WRRD?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ok, but what about spending LUCK to increase the severity of a condition, for instance? Is that small enough to pass as an Errata in OLD (a single bullet point in the use of luck paragraph)?
That should be removed from NEW. I'll make sure that's included in the errata update.
I'm not sure I'm following: if WRRD is the "correct" version (or at least the most up to date), and it reports 3 levels of severity, while OLD and NEW only report 2 levels of severity, wouldn't there be a large mismatch between the core books and WRRD?
There is plenty of content on the WRRD that isn't in the core rulebooks. Extreme conditions come from an EONS article, for example.

Belisarion

Explorer
That should be removed from NEW. I'll make sure that's included in the errata update.

There is plenty of content on the WRRD that isn't in the core rulebooks. Extreme conditions come from an EONS article, for example.
That means that the WRRD has always the last say if there are differences in the books like with this conditions topic?

Btw, from which eons number on do eon articles supersede the versions 1.2 from the books?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That means that the WRRD has always the last say if there are differences in the books like with this conditions topic?
Use the version you prefer.
Btw, from which eons number on do eon articles supersede the versions 1.2 from the books?
#1? EONs is optional additional content. Like Dragon Magazine was for D&D.

(though a handful of EONs articles ended up being incorporated into v1.2 but it was long enough ago that I couldn’t tell you which).

Ok, thanks for the clarifications.
I do have all EONS issues, but don't remember all possible contributions (I wouldn't use all of them in any case). It's nice to see some of those included in the WRRD for ease of reference, this makes them somewhat "official" in a sense even if they're not part of the core books.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the clarifications.
I do have all EONS issues, but don't remember all possible contributions (I wouldn't use all of them in any case). It's nice to see some of those included in the WRRD for ease of reference, this makes them somewhat "official" in a sense even if they're not part of the core books.
EONs is official. Optional, but official.

Remove ads