Shackled City Epic: "Vengeance" (story concluded)

Who is your favorite character in "The Shackled City"?

• Zenna

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Mole

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Arun

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Dannel

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Other (note in a post)

Votes: 6 6.6%

Richard Rawen

First Post
HugeOgre said:
Hmmm, that IS weird. Those posts werent there this morning when I read LB's post earlier. I wonder if the server is 12 hours off or something now?

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time before the server died again to suggest to you LB that you serialize and try to market your work on your next endeavor. I realize this storyhour was fraught with IP from WotC and possibly others, but I definitely believe the style and writing of your work is great, and perfect for syndication. This is the kind of content that brings people back to websites again and again, as demonstrated by the post and view counts of your story, even AFTER the crash.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the Shackled City Story Hour over these many past months. In a time when there is precious little besides news to read on a daily or even weekly basis, your storyhour is a true gem I've enjoyed over and over. To this end, Id really appreciate if you'd let me send you some money via paypal, or deposit something into your account here, or let me buy you a book to read. My way of saying thanks to you. For your efforts, it is money well earned, and I would encourage others who have enjoyed the story as much as I have to do so too. Writing and dedication like this needs to be encouraged and rewarded.

I look forward with some regret to the end.

I wholeheartedly agree with every point you have made HugeOgre.
By all means LB, please allow me to recompense you for what I openly tell friends is the best story I have read. I am both anticipating and dreading the conclusion.
Please also turn your next endeavor into a for-profit venture, I will be ready with my comensation for your worthy work.
M < > <

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks guys, it means a lot to have such support.

While I'm not going to accept any compensation for this work due to the copyright issues involved (though I very much appreciate the sentiment!), I am already planning on a more generic non-WotC-setting serialized story (still in the fantasy genre) for my next project. Since finishing TSC I haven't been writing anything (mostly working on my NWN mods and reading Sagiro's excellent SH in its entirety in my inevitable downtime), but it's hard NOT to write, and I suspect I'll be pouring out updates again before too long.

Speaking of which... update tomorrow, and as for the nature of the beastie the group is currently facing, we'll find out more about it in the next update, but until then I'll give you a hint: ELH.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 610

The creature coiled to leap, but before it could resume its deadly assault Beorna roared and laid into it from the side. She had returned Aludriel’s Shard to Saureya before leaving Occipitus, but her new blade, a bastard sword of solid adamantine, acquitted itself well as she slammed it into its flank. The hit, backed by the templar’s considerable strength, should have crippled it, but the sword merely opened a shallow gash in the monster’s thick hide.

And what was worse, it almost immediately started healing, the edges of the wound knitting shut almost as soon as it had been opened.

But Beorna had definitely gotten its attention, as it spun and launched itself at her.

“What in the hells is that thing?” Dannel said, as he shook his head to clear it. He fired an arrow at it, but even though the shot was nearly perfect, it glanced off of its armored skull without any apparent effect.

“It’s a sirrush!” Dana exclaimed, having guessed the identity of the being from the brief education she’d received on Sigil.

“What?” Dannel asked, as his second arrow duplicated the ineffectiveness of the first.

“Dragonstalker! The thing eats dragons for lunch, very tough, Very Big Trouble!” Cal said. The gnome hit it with a disintegrate empowered by his rod, but was not surprised when the beam dissolved on impact. “It’s got damned good spell resistance,” he announced, in case any of them had missed the obvious.

Arun and Lok had gotten back to their feet, somewhat the worse for wear from the nasty greeting they’d gotten from the sirrush. Their armor had been dented by the force of the creature’s bite, and Lok grimaced as he put weight back on his savaged leg. But neither warrior faltered, rushing immediately back in to reinforce Beorna, and rejoin the melee.

A small figure leapt out of the shadows and appeared suddenly atop the sirrush’s back. Mole rushed along its armored spine as if she’d been strolling along a country path, smoothly adjusting to its rapid movements as it attacked Beorna. A final skip took her up to the top of its skull; the gnome’s hand darted down, and she stabbed her rapier toward its eye.

The blade nicked the bony protrusion above its eye, doing no damage. The creature reared suddenly to knock the unwelcome passenger free, but Mole merely somersaulted backward, landing perfectly balanced once again upon its back.

Beorna lifted her sword to strike again, but the sirrush slammed its head back down, smashing her in the face with its heavy chin. Beorna staggered back, followed by the creature, which reared and slashed her with first its left claw, and then its right. It claws did not penetrate her adamantine armor, but the impacts clearly had an effect, crushing the heavy plates against her ribs. The last hit knocked her clear around, and she fell to one knee. Blood splattered on her breastplate as she met the thing’s terrible stare; the bash to her face had crushed in the front of her helmet, splitting her lip.

“Come on then, you bastard!” she snarled, lifting her sword.

Arun and Lok hit it from opposite sides, slamming their weapons hard into its body. Lok’s axe, even augmented by Dana’s greater magic weapon spell, could not penetrate its hide, but Arun managed a solid blow that overcame its resistances. The sirrush felt that one, but it kept its attention upon Beorna, who smote it across the breast, to little effect. She followed with a backhand that came up at its neck, but the creature’s armored torso formed a tight seal against its throat that protected it like a gorget. Her blow clanged harmlessly off that shielded joint. The sirrush exploited the attack by twisting its head around and biting down hard on the templar’s head. Her helmet, caught in its jaws, crunched as the adamantine buckled before its incredible strength. Beorna screamed as she was yanked off her feet, before the strap gave and she was torn free. Falling to the ground, blood pouring from several gashes in her head, she was almost decapitated by a claw stroke that still grazed her head, knocking her to the ground.

The sirrush’s momentum carried it forward, and it stomped on her back with another claw, crushing her with its weight.

“Aaaah!” she screamed, blood spraying from her mouth upon the black stone floor.

Arun, driven to fury by watching Beorna’s decimation, unleashed a furious full attack upon the sirrush. As order’s wrath filled him with righteous power, he slammed his hammer down into it in a flurry of powerful blows. Only one really hurt it, but that one was a critical hit that shivered a rib. The sirrush snarled in pain, and turned from Beorna to surge at the paladin once again. Its movement almost, but not quite, dislodged Mole, who was still trying to find a vulnerable spot for her rapier. An arrow glanced off its head, scratching it, but Dannel’s effort failed to divert it. A clang rang off its hind quarters as something bounced off its hide, but that too did not distract it from its foe.

A shimmering in the air solidified into a trio of avorals, who turned at once to Dana.

“Distract the sirrush, but ware its attacks,” she ordered. “All others are allies; heal them if you can.”

With a joint cry of assent, the three outsiders leapt into the air. They started blasting the creature with magic missiles, but none of them penetrated the sirrush’s spell resistance.

The sirrush descended upon Arun like an avalanche. The dwarf raised his shield, but the sirrush’s jaws closed on it, crushing it as if it was a piece of bark, rather than a slab of magical steel. Only the fact that the straps gave way saved the paladin from losing his arm along with the shield. As he tore free from its grasp, he lifted his hammer to strike it in the head. But before the blow landed, the creature’s left foreclaw came down hard on his left knee.

Arun screamed as his leg twisted, and he went down hard. The creature clipped him with its other claw, driving him down. Arun fought to hold on to consciousness with his leg bent under him at an angle that hurt just to look at.

Cal felt a momentary thrill of anticipation as his magic penetrated the creature’s spell resistance. But he could feel his baleful polymorph run up against a solid wall.

Damn, the thing has the fortitude of a god! he thought, trying to think of a way he could affect the creature.

The sirrush seemed to be gloating as its wedge-shaped head loomed over the broken body of its adversary. But before it could finish Arun, Lok drove into it from the flank, smashing it under the chin with his shield in a gesture that did not harm it, but which drew its attention. Just in case that wasn’t enough, the genasi followed that with an uppercut with his axe that did manage to cut a small notch in the side of its jaw. A sharp tooth, jarred loose from the impact, went flying, but the creature still had an ample supply of those to spare. It was continuing to regenerate. Although it had taken a serious amount of punishment from the attacks that had penetrated its armored hide thus far, the thing seemed little fazed by its wounds.

The genasi’s attack had the desired effect, drawing the creature’s attention away from the crippled paladin. But even as he established a defensive stance, the creature lifted its head, and opened its jaws to unleash another stunning roar.

A roar that none of them could withstand.

Elemental

Explorer
Nowhere to run for Graz'zt. I'm curious about why the story didn't end with the liberation of Occitipus, but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy finding out. :)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Gah, that thing is devastating! Hopefully Dana has been cooking up some major mojo during all these quiet rounds... eats Dragons for lunch... sheesh!

As for the liberation of the demi-plane, that seemed well in hand with the influx of celestials at the end. I'm guessing that the Travellers/Heroes had a score to settle that would have ended with either 'G' hunting them down at their weakest moments individually - Or - this relentless, ruthless, tireless pursuit to destroy a Demon Prince.

What choice did they have, yet, what a concept, when you stop to think about it... hunting a Demon Prince.
Right now they have their hands more than full, I have to wonder if Graz'zt will strike at them as well, while they are weakened and distracted.
If he's even there!

btw LB, I started reading my kids a story this weekend, it begins with the chance meeting of four Travellers at a crossroads where only three trails are blazed . . .
The posse is preparing to enter the Woods and the kids are really looking forward to AFTER July 4th (They go to their Mother's for tonight and tomorrow) for the story to resume! =-)
Thanks again for a great - Epicly <sp?> great - tale!

Lazybones

Adventurer
Elemental said:
Nowhere to run for Graz'zt. I'm curious about why the story didn't end with the liberation of Occitipus, but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy finding out. :)
I thought about ending it there, but I went this way in an attempt to resolve the story in a different way (with a twist, naturally). I think it works, but I look forward to reading your comments at the end. As Richard alluded to in his post, the battle for Occipitus was part of a greater struggle, while the mission now is... personal.

Richard Rawen said:
btw LB, I started reading my kids a story this weekend, it begins with the chance meeting of four Travellers at a crossroads where only three trails are blazed . . .
The posse is preparing to enter the Woods and the kids are really looking forward to AFTER July 4th (They go to their Mother's for tonight and tomorrow) for the story to resume! =-)
Wow, glad you are all enjoying the story! I still have a fond spot for the Travelers. :D

P.S. I've put together a no-frills PDF of the entire Shackled City story. I'll post it somewhere once I finish here. 1479 pages... :eek:

Chapter 611

The sirrush prepared to roar again, but as it lifted its head Dana was already moving. “Dannel!” she yelled, causing the elf to hesitate as he drew another arrow to his cheek. The elf held his shot, glancing at her sidelong as she came up to him.

“Don’t miss,” she said, touching the end of the arrow, and uttering a spell.

A globe of silence enveloped them, but quickly disappeared as Dannel fired his arrow. Perhaps it was luck, or perhaps the elf had drawn deep into another reservoir of skill, for this arrow pierced the sirrush’s hide, stabbing into the flesh of its back just behind its armored neck. The creature’s jaws stretched open, but nothing came out, just a silent roar that failed to penetrate the bubble of Dana’s magic.

“Well, that shut it up, but how in the hells are we going to stop that thing?” Dannel asked.

“We have to overwhelm it, just mangle it faster than it can regenerate,” Cal said. “With our spells of little use, we’re going to have to support the warriors, and hope they can bring it down.”

But with two of the warriors down, that looked to be a difficult prospect. Arun, at least, was still conscious, although he could not stand with his broken leg. The paladin, blocked from reaching Beorna by the bulk of the creature, dragged himself away from the sirrush’s reach before he used his lay on hands power to heal some of the injuries he’d suffered. Arun grimaced as he straightened he mangled leg to let the healing magic restore the crippled joint.

Lok faced the creature’s full fury as it unleashed another full attack upon him. The potency of the assault was not diminished by the fact that it was utterly silent; if anything, to those watching the blows that fell upon the genasi seemed more powerful than before. But Lok stood his ground, tearing free from a bite that snagged his shoulder, absorbing punishing rakes that added more damage to the heavy armor covering his body. Somehow, when it was over the genasi held his stance, although his armor was covered with streaks of his own blood, and a thin trail of red ran down his left leg from a deep puncture somewhere beneath his torso plates.

A wise combatant would have withdrawn at that point, but Lok knew that while he could not withstand another full attack, his friends were likely to die if he backed down. So he stood his ground, and took the attack to the monster, hacking at its legs with his axe. The thundering power of the weapon would not function within the silence, but the edge was sharp enough, and within a few seconds Lok was not the only one trailing blood.

Mole, still holding court upon the creature’s spine, ran forward again to the bony ridge of its neck. But her rapier was in its sheath, and instead of trying another futile attack, as she leapt up over its head, she whipped something out from her bag of holding. It was a heavy cloak, which she swept across the creature’s eyes, using it as an anchor as she swung beneath its head, catching the far end and holding on, keeping it taut.

Her lips moved soundlessly as she shouted something clever, a bit miffed that the silence kept her friends from fully appreciating the maneuver.

Under normal circumstances, the sirrush would not have been inconvenienced in the slightest by being blinded; its senses, honed by hunting dragons many times its size, were incredibly sharp. But the silence neutralized its keen hearing, and there was a musty, earthy smell that infused the cloak, making it difficult for the creature to sort out the distinct odors of its enemies.

Snarling silently, the sirrush darted forward, snapping its head to the left and right, trying to dislodge its unwelcome passenger. Mole held on, swinging up to avoid a claw that tried to knock her free. One of the avorals swung down and raked at the creature’s back, but its claws might as well have been scratching the stone floor for all the effect they had upon it. Another landed beside Beorna, and tended to the fallen templar. Lok slammed it again with his axe as it passed him, but while he added another gash to its tally, the wounds it had taken were clearly not especially serious.

And it continued to regenerate.

Dana, just outside of the bubble of silence, cast a mass heal. At once the wounds of the companions knit shut, and the vitality lost to the creature’s claws and bite was instantly restored. Beorna recovered her sword and charged, while Arun, his savaged leg now mostly intact, came at the creature from the opposite side.

The sirrush dropped its head solidly on the floor before it. Mole swung around, avoiding getting pinned, still holding onto the flapping ends of the cloak. But the effort was made moot a moment later as it pulled its claws down over its armored face, shredding the garment. Mole fell free and tried to somersault backwards away from it, but the creature swept its head sideways, butting her solidly and knocking her roughly across the room. She landed on the far side of the chamber, flipping at the last instant to land on her feet, grimacing where a cracked rib throbbed in her side.

The creature’s gyrations had failed to dislodge the silenced arrow stuck in its neck, and once again no sound followed as the warriors charged into the distracted creature. Arun, Lok, and Beorna, reenergized by Dana’s potent spell, laid into it with a violent fury of attacks. The paladin pounded it with his hammer, while on the far side of it Beorna’s adamantine blade cut gouges in its scaled body. Lok, meanwhile, continued to hew at its legs with its axe. Dannel’s arrows continued to zip into it, until a small forest of feathered shafts jutted from its back.

Cal focused his arcane power and reached out with his magic. Using one of the newer secrets of arcane lore that he had discovered, he extended that link between himself and Arun, laying a displacement ward upon him without having to touch the paladin. Once again, such a mundane ruse would not normally have fooled such a canny hunter, but with its hearing obscured, its claws passed harmlessly through the false image raised by the spell.

The sirrush was starting to show the effects of its wounds, now, as the three warriors launched full attacks into the creature from all sides. The sirrush still had a lot of fight left in it; as Beorna scored a critical hit upon its flank, it suddenly spun around and unleashed a devastating series of attacks upon her, driving her back. But a moment later the templar’s wounds closed again, as Dana channeled another mass cure into them.

The sirrush seemed to be possessed by a furious rage as it focused on Beorna, pressing its attack. The dwarf held her ground, hewing at the creature’s armored head with her sword. Her blows glanced off its thick hide without effect, but her efforts still paid off as her allies punished the increasingly savaged hunter. Arun drove his hammer into it, one two-handed overhand strike after another, while Lok had laid one of its hind legs nearly bare, with its ruined scales oozing blood. Even Mole got back into the fray, darting under its hindquarters, and stabbing her rapier into a slightly more tender spot.

The sirrush started to flail about it almost blindly, still scoring hits on its tormentors, but failing to overcome any of its foes. With a final stroke of his axe Lok took off the leg he’d been working on, and the creature staggered and fell. Still it attacked, trying to seize the genasi in its jaws. But Lok tore free as Arun brought his hammer down onto its spine. They didn’t need to hear the crack to know that the blow had done serious damage; the creature quivered and began to spasm.

Dana approached the creature from behind, her hand glowing red. She touched it and unleashed a harm spell. The potent magic failed to overcome its spell resistance, but it increasingly appeared that this was unnecessary. Dannel, too, had approached to almost point-blank range, and now was sending one arrow after another into a gap where a scale had been torn away from its body.

With her face covered in her own blood, a fearsome look etched upon her features, Beorna stepped up. The creature sensed her and started to turn to face her, sweeping out a claw. The claw gashed her armored belly, but she ignored the blow as she lifted the sword high above her head, and brought it down into the center of its face. The blow did not appear to penetrate, but the creature’s body shuddered once, a mighty tremble that shook it like an earthquake, and then it slumped down to the ground, defeated.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Finally !!!!

After almost six months of reading first shackled city, then travelers when they appeared and then againg this I must say WOW! Just WOW. <bows reverently>

Thank you for your effort, I look forward to the grand finale.

I hope your books wont be too long before publishing so we can enjoy more of your stories.

Cheers

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks for posting, Neurotic! I am glad you're enjoying the story.

NWK: I agree, I think that silence is one of those spells that you always keep in your repertoire, no matter how high in level you are.

Chapter 612

The companions did not let down their guard, nor did they assume the fact of their victory until Arun had wrenched the creature’s head aside, exposing enough of its neck to allow Lok to hew the head from its body. Only then did they relax—or more accurately, all but collapsed.

Arun found the silenced arrow and plucked it, tossing it aside. “By the fire of the Forge!” he exclaimed, leaning up against the creature’s flank as he fought for breath. “That thing could take a beating!”

“And dish it out, as well,” Lok said, wiping blood from his face with an old rag.

“What in all the Hells was that?” Beorna said, likewise slumping back against the wall. The warriors looked like they had been hurled into a grinder, with the plates of their armor bent and punctured.

“It was a sirrush,” Cal explained. “They are hunters… their favorite prey is dragons, which they take down in packs.”

“Wonderful,” Beorna said.

“Let’s just hope that there aren’t any more of them,” Dannel said. “It was almost invulnerable to magic, and only Dana’s quick thinking kept us from being stunned again by its roar.”

Benzan became visible as his greater invisibility faded, a look of disgust on his face as he hurled his sword to the ground with a clatter. “Damned useless,” he said. “I may as well have stayed home, for all that I added to that fight.”

“We can do without your whining, tiefling,” Beorna said. “We all knew when we agreed to continue this chase that there would be things that tested us.”

Benzan’s eyes narrowed, but Dana interrupted them. “Benzan… we’re here, in the now… we need to come together, against this threat.” Her voice was soft, cool, and she fixed the full force of her presence upon him, like a hunter trying to calm an angry beast.

For a moment the tiefling looked about to respond in fury, but then his shoulders slumped, and his eyes admitted defeat. “I am sorry,” he said. “We had better get going, before the Prince sends another one of those after us.”

As he turned, Cal and Dana exchanged a glance. Dana had done her best to ease her husband’s return from captivity, but they had all experienced enough of Graz’zt’s “hospitality” to know that Benzan’s suffering would not soon ease. With Dana’s blessing, Cal was working on a spell that would selectively blot out Benzan’s memory, allowing him to move ahead with his life without forever dwelling under the shadow of what had been done to him. It might be the only solution, Cal thought, but for now, they had to press ahead.

“Ah… sorry about your cloak, Mole,” Dannel said, as he offered her the shredded remnant of the garment.

The gnome shrugged. “S’okay… It was Umbar’s, anyway. I never remembered to give it back to him.” She grinned, as the companions formed up and headed warily into the dark exit, and the stairs that descended deeper into the fortress.

Remove ads