• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City Epic: "Vengeance" (story concluded)

Who is your favorite character in "The Shackled City"?

• Zenna

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Mole

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Arun

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Dannel

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Other (note in a post)

Votes: 6 6.6%

Lazybones

Adventurer
Neverwinter Knight said:
I absolutely HATE disintegration! There is no meaner way to die. I forgot, Lazybones, did that one have a rod of disintegration, or was it the spell? If rod, the heros have gained a powerful weapon...
Nah, it was a spell; I think he was an L13 sorcerer IIRC.

Chapter 328

They had washed and been healed, and replaced their singed garments with fresh clothes, but an odor of char still hung about the companions as they gathered that evening in the sanctuary of the High Priestess in the Temple of Helm.

“It could have been much worse,” Arun said.

“Five dead,” Jenya said, looking tired as she sat in the simple hardwood chair decorated with the gauntlet of Helm etched into its high back just above her head. “Aslaxin, Jurgensen, Tiskensen, Ghelve, and Mispas.”

“There was nothing that we could have done differently,” Beorna said. “And the dead can be returned to life with Helm’s intervention, if they choose to return.”

“I will have to contact the church in Almraiven,” Jenya said, not even bothering to look up as she responded. “We have an insufficient supply of the diamonds needed to focus the spell, and I doubt that enough will be found in all of Cauldron, not after all of the deaths in recent months...”

“We must concern ourselves with the living,” Dannel said. Jenya had broken the derro savant’s polymorph spell, but he still seemed agitated. He hadn’t sat down, and in fact his pacing seemed to grow more animated the longer that they remained there. “Damn it… they’ve got her, and we aren’t doing anything!”

“Dannel, I’m as worried as you are,” Mole said. “But without knowing where the Cagewrights are, we cannot help her, not yet.”

“What she’s sayin’, lad, is yer can’t be stupid,” Hodge said. Despite having “bathed” earlier, Hodge looked gruesome, with great swaths of his beard and brows missing where the fireballs had burned them away, and an ugly scar across his balding scalp where a wound hadn’t quite fully healed cleanly.

“There are several reasons why my divination may have failed to detect her, or why she may not have been able to respond to my sending,” Jenya said. She hadn’t mentioned the most obvious one; none of them wanted to countenance the possibility that Zenna was dead, however probable that likelihood came to be with each passing hour. “As I said earlier, I will pray for a more potent divination magic on the morrow, one that can pinpoint the location of something regardless of where it may be, here or on any other plane of reality.”

“But if they do have her, she’ll probably be warded against even that,” Dannel returned.

“It is very difficult to hide from a discern location spell,” Jenya said. “But yes, it is possible.”

“Blast it,” Dannel said, clenching his fists in frustration. He opened his mouth to say something else, but he was cut off by a faint rumbling that was nonetheless clearly audible through the solid foundations of the chapel. The sound was followed by a momentary trembling of the structure, just barely significant enough for them to feel it, which faded before they could do anything more than shift in their chairs.

“That’s the second tremor today,” Beorna said.

“Do you think the volcano’s stirring?” Mole asked.

“There have been no signs of a buildup of pressure beneath the caldera,” Arun said, but he frowned deeply as he said it.

“Oh, come on!” Dannel said. “This is obviously connected. The Cagewrights are moving their plans forward, mark me.”

“I’m not disagreeing,” Arun replied. “But again, without information, there’s not a lot we can do right now.”

“I just need to do something,” the elf said.

“Right now, you need to rest,” Beorna said. “We all do. We’re like as to do more ill than good, exhausted and clouded in mind.”

“Tomorrow, you can come with me, Dannel,” Mole said. “There’s a few leads in town you can help me track down.”

“We’d better go with you,” Arun said. “Clearly our enemies know much about our movements, and we cannot afford to let our guard down, not even for a moment.”

“I will continue my divinations,” Jenya said. “There must be an answer here somewhere, awaiting our discovery. Our enemies are very, very skilled… but they are mortals like us, and therefore not infallible.”

“I’ll bring you Zenna’s notes,” Mole said. “They might help you find the right questions to ask.”

Arun stood, his armor clanking slightly about his body at his movements. “I will check on the guards. It will be a long night, I fear.”

The others rose after him, gathering their gear before returning to their quarters in the rectory. Dannel was the last to leave, staring through the narrow slit windows at the starlit sky above the city, asking questions for which there were no easy answers, no answers at all.

Black Bard

First Post
“I will have to contact the church in Almraiven,” Jenya said, not even bothering to look up as she responded. “We have an insufficient supply of the diamonds needed to focus the spell, and I doubt that enough will be found in all of Cauldron, not after all of the deaths in recent months...”
That`s why clerics really should have Profession (miner)!!! :p

Lazybones

Adventurer
For a while, I thought about putting the diamonds requirement into my Neverwinter Nights game. Ultimately I decided that the XP penalty for dying is enough (my campaigns are scripted to cost 1 level for raise dead and 10% of a level for resurrection; true res isn't available in NWN).

The way this campaign is going, I'll likely have denuded the entire region of diamonds by the end. ;)

On another note, after a month or so of very little writing (as I said before, I was really ahead for a while), I've started scribing regular updates again. I'm in the early stages of Thirteen Cages right now. Expect a few twists and turns in the road ahead... :lol:

Chapter 329

The next two days passed swiftly, for despite their uncertainties and their lack of hard information there was a great deal to do. Mole led them back and forth across the city seeking information, but even though gold coins and sometimes the threat of violence changed hands frequently, they were not able to turn any of their faint leads into something tangible. Jenya’s discern location likewise failed, a grim portent indeed, given the power of the spell.

The tremors within the volcano continued, and the panic within the population grew with each passing hour. Some left the city, piling their belongings onto overladen carts pulled by tired animals, scattering onto the four roads that wound down from the volcano town. But most hunkered in their homes, too fearful of any action that might tip the delicate balance that kept the city poised on the edge of the precipice. The day after the assault at the Cusp of Sunrise a mob formed at the Town Hall, demanding action, and blood was again spilled as the Watch clashed with desperate people afraid for their lives. Only the presence of Arun, along with a company of his followers, kept the situation from devolving into a mad riot. Bereft of strong leadership, the city seemed to be adrift. Ankhin Taskerhill had apparently given up his aspirations to serve as Mayor; the merchant was seen leaving the city on the road toward Almraiven along with most of the members of his household, all mounted and moving with the speed and determination that bespoke long planning. Jenya appeared at the Town Hall in the company of Meerthan Eliothorn, Maavu Arlintal, and Arun Goldenshield toward the end of the day, and met with Teerson Skellerang and his officers, along with the leading municipal officials. While they shared a consensus on the need to maintain order, the visitors pointed out the importance of provoking confrontations and breeding further chaos. A new schedule of patrols by the Watch was instituted, with most of the mercenaries that Vhalantru had hired to be kept in their camps outside of the city for the immediate future. Arun’s force of volunteers had handled themselves well during the clash at the Town Hall, and they were deputized into service in the Watch, along with others who had past experience in the militia or other military bodies and were known for being level-headed and reliable under pressure. One of Arun’s recruits was a grizzled oldster named Alowyn Tristane, who as it turned out had spent six years of his youth as a campaigner in the armed forces of Tethyr. Arun installed Tristane as liaison between the Watch and the temple forces, and while Skellerang clearly didn’t like it, he knew the way of the wind (and the tenuousness of his own position, for he had been a vocal support of Lord Vhalantru before his true nature was revealed) well enough not to stand in the way of the changes. It was well after midnight by the time that the last of the meetings had adjourned, but there was a slightly greater sense of reassurance among Cauldron’s government now that someone had stepped forward to provide direction.

The next day was even busier. Despite their commitment to continue seeking information that might lead them to the Cagewrights and Zenna, all of the companions found themselves drawn into the vacuum of power, taking to the streets in an effort to keep order and reassure the populace. Dannel used his music and oratory to defuse a potential riot in front of a merchant’s stall. Accusations of price gouging had circulated, and the crowd didn’t need much incentive to start breaking things. Firing an arrow between the fingers of an angry man who’d reached forward to grab a hanging gourd of lamp oil on the side of the stall might have also helped to quell the brewing anger of the dozen or so townsfolk, and encourage them to be a bit less rash. There was a tense moment as one of the men, standing beside the elf, angrily reached for the dagger at his belt—only to find that it had vanished, along with most of the other weapons that had been carried by the gathered townsfolk.

At least Mole agreed to put the weapons into storage at the Temple of Helm, rather than selling them.

Arun and Hodge spent the morning at the temple. More volunteers had showed up there, wishing to assuage their own fears by being useful. Arun put them to work or directed them to the Town Hall or to other quarters of the city, depending upon their skills and experience. Some of the recruits had developed a uniform of sorts, a thin surcoat of blue cloth marked with the sigil of a hammer done up in hasty black stitching. It wasn’t as impressive or as professional as the garb worn by the Watch, but there was a certain reassurance in seeing the small teams of men and women in blue rushing throughout the city, moving with purpose and determination. Often the Hammers (as they quickly became known) would arrive at a destination to find a good dozen or so people hot on their heels, eager to help.

Beorna remained at Jenya’s side, and her dominating presence, clad in her adamantine plate with her two huge swords slung across her back, certainly helped the High Priestess push her points when dealing with Skellerang or the other town officials. She met again with Maavu and some of the other leading merchants again that morning, and when she returned to the temple shortly after noon, she already looked like she’d had a full day. Dark circles were visible under her eyes, but she held her head high, and didn’t flinch away when several of her acolytes greeted her return with a press of important details that required her attention.

As the morning turned into afternoon, the sky grew darker, with heavy clouds gathering over the city. Flickers of ochre light that might have been lightning stirred within that dense morass of gray, although there were no sounds of thunder. The quakes continued to build, with two or three tremors coming each hour now, although none as yet had been severe enough to cause any more than slight damage.

Dannel and Mole returned shortly thereafter, their faces grim at what they’d seen in the city. Despite the odd lack of wind and rain, it felt like a storm, with the iridescent haloes of yellow energy flaring within the thunderheads floating low above the city serving as an omnipresent reminder that something bad was brewing for Cauldron. The four companions—five, as Beorna rejoined them from inside the temple—gathered for a hasty meal in the stableyard, in the lee of the old wooden structure.

“I will likely have to return to the Town Hall shortly,” Beorna said as soon as she’d taken a seat on one of the bales of hay stacked up against the stable wall. “The High Priestess is due for another several meetings this afternoon, but she has taken seclusion in her chapel, and damned if I’m going to let anyone pull her out before she’s ready.”

“She has risen to the challenge of providing leadership in some tough times,” Dannel said. “I’ve known many who presented themselves as harder, tougher, to the world, but who folded under less pressure than she’s faced.”

Another flicker of eerie yellow light flared within the gray depths of the cloudbank, directly above the city. “I so do not like the looks of that,” Mole said.

Hodge paused in the process of stuffing sausages into his mouth so snort and offer his view on the subject. “If ye weren’t all fools, ye’d be leavin’ this accursed place well and far behind. Anyone with sense could see that somethin’ be brewin’, an’ it ain’ nothin’ good. An’ we just sit ‘ere, waitin’.”

“I don’t think we’ll have long to wait,” Arun said. “Whatever is gathering here, it is seeped in taint. The Cagewrights are making their gambit, and we will have to stand against them.”

Hodge grumbled, but didn’t respond. The conversation died out then, and they ate in silence, quickly, as if guilty for even a brief respite in the day’s activity. Or maybe they were just eager to be back in action, even if without knowledge of what they were fighting against, in order to keep difficult questions and niggling doubts in check.

As they were finishing, a hint of motion drew their attention around. Jenya stood there in the doorway to the rectory, limned in a halo of light from within the building, giving her a saintly, otherworldly look. The companions could instantly see from her face that something was very, very wrong.

“What is it?” Arun asked, even as Beorna strode purposefully across the courtyard toward her patron.

Jenya sagged slightly against the threshold of the outer door. Tears shone in her eyes as she looked up and fixed them with an intent stare.

“Cauldron is lost,” she said. “We must evacuate the city!”

Lazybones said:
On another note, after a month or so of very little writing (as I said before, I was really ahead for a while), I've started scribing regular updates again. I'm in the early stages of Thirteen Cages right now. Expect a few twists and turns in the road ahead... :lol:
That's good news! I also hope you have a heal or restoration left for Zenna, or all she'll be left with are silenced spells...if you allow her to be rescued. Looking forward to some good nice or nasty twists!

Lazybones said:
Let the games begin...

Krafus

First Post

Whoa. That one surprised me. There was no foe to see, nothing to fight, and suddenly the city is lost? Weird. Ah, well. I suppose I'll learn more in the next installment.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Krafus said:
Whoa. That one surprised me. There was no foe to see, nothing to fight, and suddenly the city is lost? Weird. Ah, well. I suppose I'll learn more in the next installment.
The way the module's written, things just sort of happen once the Cagewrights are ready to execute their plans. It's one of the weaker plot segues in the entire series, IMHO. Jenya will give us some insight into what's going on, in today's chapter (the result of the divination is right from the module as well):

Chapter 330

They did not waste much time in idle conversation, but Jenya did her best to answer their questions. She had reached out to Helm once more for guidance, and had been nearly overcome by the intensity of her god’s response. “Look to the heart of the matter,” spoke the words—divine or divinely-inspired, at the very least—in her mind. It was not much of a revelation, but it cut through the fog of weariness and confusion that had belabored her these last days, and replaced that with a calm certainty. The meaning of the tremors, the gathering storm, the strange happenings of the last few days, had become clear.

The Cagewrights were making their move.

In the midst of the High Priestess’s revelations, it came without warning. One moment they were talking, and the next the entire world around them seemed to be shaking violently. A dull roar overwhelmed their shouts, and Beorna only barely caught Jenya before she fell. The quake—actually just a single, massive pulse from within the volcano—barely lasted long enough for terror to replace surprise, but in its wake they could hear the screams from beyond the walls of the temple grounds that indicated that it had not come and gone without wreaking destruction.

“We’re out of time,” Dannel said.

“Orthos!” Arun yelled, pointing to one of his younger recruits, just rising from where he’d been roughly knocked onto the cobbles in the entry of the stable. At Arun’s cry he jumped up and ran over to them.

“Sir?”

“Gather all of the Hammers currently here at the Temple compound,” the paladin commanded. Even as the young man dashed off to obey, Beorna shouted after him, “And if you see any clerics, tell them to get their butts over here as well!”

“I must go to the Town Hall, and coordinate the evacuation with the Watch,” Jenya said. “Just give me a few seconds—there are a few sacred relics that cannot be left, and the Star of Justice.”

“I will accompany you, High Priestess,” Beorna said. “You will need protection, and the streets will not be safe, especially as panic begins to set in among the population.”

“No, that is where you will be needed,” Jenya said, holding up a hand to forestall the templar’s protest. “Fear not, I will be adequately guarded; I have prepared a potent call to Helm for an ally in the fear of this moment coming. But you... all of you... will have to take the lead in the evacuation. It will take an hour, if not more, to mobilize and organize the Watch, and I fear that in that time, people will die.”

“Where should we start?” Dannel asked.

“There, I think,” Mole said. They turned to follow her gaze, down toward the pit of the caldera. The buildings across Obsidian Avenue from the temple obscured their view of the lake, but they could all see the vast plume of steam rising from the center of the town.

“The lake,” Arun said. “As the volcano awakens, it will superheat and overflow its banks, killing everyone it touches.”

Beorna had not shifted her gaze from Jenya, the two holy warriors testing each other in a silent battle of resolve. Finally, the templar nodded, and to Jenya’s surprise knelt before her, taking her superior’s hand and pressing it to her forehead.

“Go with the blessing of Helm,” Jenya said. She took the templar’s head in both of her hands and bent low, laying a soft kiss upon her brow, then turned and darted across the courtyard toward the temple structure, looking like a slyph as her long white robe—faintly gray from dust—trailed behind her.

Men and women had gathered in the stableyard. There was only about a dozen, but more than half wore the distinctive tunics bearing the hammer sigil that they had taken as the symbol of their service. Most of Arun’s followers were out in the city with Jenya’s few remaining priests, helping to keep order or to otherwise lend their support to the troubled townsfolk remaining in Cauldron.

Arun didn’t waste time, pointing to a half-elven woman of middle years wearing the blue tunic. “Ambelin, you’re in charge of this group. We are evacuating the city. Travel light, but take your weapons and tools. The High Priestess will be coming out in a few minutes, and will be going to the Town Hall to coordinate the evacuation. I want you to go with her, and tell Tristane that he and the Hammers are to fully support her in whatever she commands. Help whomever you can, but don’t dally long; we need to get as many people out of the city as we can. I fear that we may not have much time.”

“Yes sir!” the woman replied. She turned and immediately started giving orders to those gathered, who quickly started running for their gear or otherwise preparing to depart. The young man, Orthos, hesitated a moment. “What about you, sir? Where are you going?”

The adventurers had already started toward the gate that led out from the relative sanctuary of the temple into the growing chaos of the city. At the question, the paladin glanced back over his shoulder. “Into the fire, lad. Into the fire.”

Lazybones said:
“There, I think,” Mole said. They turned to follow her gaze, down toward the pit of the caldera. The buildings across Obsidian Avenue from the temple obscured their view of the lake, but they could all see the vast plume of steam rising from the center of the town.

“The lake,” Arun said. “As the volcano awakens, it will superheat and overflow its banks, killing everyone it touches.”
Ha, I'm looking forward to the first encounter. This why I like the modules, hints like "Orbious" that most players only recognize afterwards... ;)

Great update, Lazybones. No rest for the wicked, I mean, heros.

Krafus

First Post
"The heart of the matter." Sounds like the volcano itself. Arun seems to believe that, too... I hope for them that they've prepared spells against fire.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Things start to "heat up" this week...

Chapter 331

On a normal day, it was a pleasant walk of ten to fifteen minutes from Obsidian Avenue, the outermost of Cauldron’s ring-streets, to the shores of the crater lake.

On this day, it took over an hour, and the journey was far less than pleasant.

The city was in a tumult. Everywhere confused and frightened citizens ran about. Some were hastily gathering their belongings, obviously intent on flight, while others were hurrying on errands of vital importance, checking on a loved one or rushing back to a home or place of business to see if the latest quake had ruined them. And there were even more people who went to the streets for no reason, just a vague panic that grew and built off of every additional soul seeking answers.

The companions could not stop to give those answers, even if they had known them. But they directed people toward the gates, to leave the city as quickly as possible. The city leaders would have more information for them, would escort them to safety. Their words only spawned more questions, fear, even anger; but the Heroes of Cauldron did not allow themselves to be diverted for long.

Despite their intent, however, they did find themselves facing distractions that they could not avoid. While making their way down one of the sloping alleys that connected Ash and Magma Avenues (the city streets had taken on a grimmer allusion now, Mole commented as they traveled), they passed a three-story tenement that was leaning slightly out over the cobbled pavement below. One look was enough for the dwarves to spot the cracks in the stone foundation of the structure, undermined by the quake. A man stood in the street in front of the building, surrounded by a few bystanders, all focused upon another figure visible in the narrow window visible under the gables of the top floor above. The man in the street was entreating the man in the window to come down, but even from several stories below the companions could see that he appeared to be mad, his eyes wide and darting wildly about. He carried a burden against his body, and as they closed they could see the small arms and legs jutting from it that identified its nature.

“Tomash!” the man in the street shouted. “Come down... it is not safe, we must leave!” Some of the other bystanders offered similar urgings, caught up in the drama of the moment.

“He’s going to drop that child,” Mole said. “I’d better hop up there and grab him.”

“Hold a moment,” Dannel said, stepping forward, toward the concerned man in the street.

“Who is he?” the elf asked, his tone reassuring yet infused with a gentle air of command.

“Tomash,” the man said. “My brother. The big tremor, it shook everything... I rushed out of the house, but he would not come... The last tendays... So much pressure... I fear that his mind, it has been sundered!”

The elf put a hand on the man’s arm, and looked up at the panicked man. “Tomash,” he said, his voice cutting clearly through the din, the building background noise of fear and confusion, that now resounded through the entire city. “Tomash, you must come down. Your child depends on you. Go into the house, and come down to the street, to your brother.”

The words seemed to flow together in an almost melodic cadence. The gathered townsfolk could not see the power of his charm person spell take hold, but even in the tumult—or perhaps, because of it—a visceral part of them could sense the presence of power in the air, and they watched with fascination as the man Tomash grew calm, and after a moment turned and disappeared back into the building.

A minute later, he appeared in the doorway, with the child safe in his arms, and a second—a young girl, maybe six or seven—clinging onto the drooping tail of his disheveled tunic.

“Get these people away from the structure, and don’t let anyone back in,” Arun ordered Tomash’s brother. The paladin and Hodge had given the sagging foundation a quick look, and it confirmed their earlier suspicions. “One more tremor, and this building is going to be here in the street.”

“The people are leaving the city,” Beorna added. “Go to the nearest gate and wait for directions.”

“But...” the man hesitated, turning back toward the building. “Everything we have...”

“You have your lives,” the Templar said, harshly. “Now, all of you... go!”

Her tone was not one that would brook challenge, and the people went, fearfully looking back over their shoulders. A few, they saw, ran into nearby buildings, no doubt intent on rescuing what they could of their possessions regardless of the danger.

“Fools,” Beorna said, as they pressed on.

Magma Avenue was in even more of a tumult. The panicked neigh of horses contrasted with the cries of people dashing about; a half-dozen teamsters were trying to keep two trains of horses under control while people loaded the wagons behind them in a frenzy of activity. A few people tried to push their way into the queue, carrying their own possessions, but steel-eyed guards were quick to intervene and prod them on their way. It looked like a pair of shops fronting the street were coordinating the evacuation. Arun grimaced as a trio of grimacing men, merchants by their dress, emerged from one of the shops maneuvering an obviously expensive but quite heavy and impractical oak desk toward one of the wagons.

“What do these people think they are doing?” Beorna said.

“They’re afraid!” Dannel said.

“There’s goin’ to be a riot brewin’ here, any minute!” Hodge said. As if to punctuate his words, the ground shook beneath his feet, and a new surge of fear sliced through the crowd as people stumbled and fell to the hard cobbles. This quake lasted only a few seconds, but it added to the ferocity of the scene, like water added to an already overflowing pot.

“Over here!” Mole shouted, darting off to the right, down the street.

“Where’s she going?” Beorna asked, at the same moment that Arun yelled, “Stay together!” But they could now hear the screams that had no doubt alerted their keen-eared friend, and they hurried after her. The crowd, despite its panic, got out of their way; three heavily armored dwarf warriors had that kind of effect.

It didn’t take long to reach the scene of the disturbance. A chasm, some fifty feet long and at least ten feet across, had opened like a great gash in the center of the avenue. Wisps of volcanic gas rose from the fissure, and as they rushed forward to join Mole at its rim, careful to remain back from the crumbling edge, they could hear the desperate cries coming from below.

“There are people trapped down there!” Mole yelled.

As if the moment wasn’t intense enough, the ground shuddered beneath their feet, and the sides of the chasm shifted. Drawing gradually—but inexorably—closer as the rumblings of the volcano began to push the fissure shut.

Slowly crushing the helpless people below.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads