• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City vs Age of Worms.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm considering running one of these when I start up my new game. Can anyone give me a few ideas of what the main plot ideas are and what kind of campaign they are? Thanks.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Can't speak for SCAP (I'm in it now), though I've heard they learned lessons for it for AoW.

As for AoW, its up my alley. Its a horror story with creepy crawling things. Characters start as nobodies trying to escape a rotten little town and end up tied up in an apocalyptic end of the world scenario. Its dungeon-heavy at the front, and undead infested at the end.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Age of Worms = Deals with the rising power of Kyuss and his minions

Shackled City = Deals with events in the city of Cauldron and possibly planar stuff.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I'm considering running one of these when I start up my new game. Can anyone give me a few ideas of what the main plot ideas are and what kind of campaign they are? Thanks.

SCAP focuses on one city and its surrounding area. There is some planar travel at higher levels, but it's limited and focuses on resolving conflicts from within the city. If your party likes building relationships with NPCs and rising in power over a city, this is the campaign for you.

AoWAP focuses on heroism. There is a lot of travel to various cities and regions, and the clues are scattered across Greyhawk. If your party likes being Big Damn Heroes, unravelling mysteries and kicking undead rear, this is the campaign for you.

Nightfall

Not to mention being in AoW means eventually being on par with some of the greats of GH legend, especially towards the end.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I'll back a previous comment that "lessons were learned" for the second adventure path.

I found that Age of Worms tied together more nicely than Shackled City. There were more "easter eggs" for old-school players, more foreshadowing of future events, and a more consistent overall theme. Some of the Shackled City modules were quite out-of-place (e.g. I had players asking me in some sessions: "Why are we here again?"... "I don't get it - what has this got to do with what we're trying to achieve?"). Admittedly, that might have been DM error, but posts I've seen on the Paizo boards seem to agree ("Test of the Smoking Eye", anyone?).

I also enjoyed the variety of modules in AoW more than SC. Most of the SC path can be categorized as "traditional" dungeon modules (an extensive keyed area that you must proceed through, eventually overcoming a big challenge at the end). There were a few exceptions. Part of an early module is more of a cat-and-mouse with a nasty villain, and a later module has an emphasis on rescuing innocents. But for the large part, the modules are quite straight-forward.

AoW is a little more varied. There are battlemap sieges, arena contests, puzzles, and far more opportunities for diplomatic (or deceptive) outcomes. One memorable module in the series is almost all diplomacy, and is absolutely brilliant.

The big thing that sells me on AoW over SC, however, is the effect on my players. We finished SC a long time ago. They had fun with it, but today they have difficulty remembering the last couple of modules and describe the final big bad evil boss in generic terms (i.e. they never use its real name, simply a description of what it was).

AoW, on the other hand... The "big bads" in the last three modules are all iconic figures in D&D lore. My players are currently in the midst of module 10 and are gagging for a chance to take down a certain creature from a very old 1st edition module. And they are actually losing sleep over the big bad in Module 11 (an even bigger name from 1st edition).

In summary, I'd say: "Go with AoW", if you're looking to choose between the two. Of course, path #3 (Savage Tide) has just begun, and is looking even better than the first two... :)

Nightfall

Lance,

Agreed the fights in both 10, 11 and 12 are truly epic in scope for AoW. What I think made Shackled City cool is the city itself, not necessarily the adventures. Of course the hapazard nature of the path was evident, but at the end it was fun.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Fair comment, Nightfall. I agree that Cauldron was one of the best features of the SC path; a truly original and inspiring creation. It actually ranks as one of my favorite D&D cities from any source (along with Sigil, Sharn, Greyhawk, etc).

However, I felt the city itself was under-used in the adventure path. The module where the PCs are involved in rescue efforts around the city was one of the best in the series, but most of the others were either in dungeon complexes or off-plane where the "uniqueness" of the setting was minimized.

I would have loved to have seen a couple of more urban modules using Cauldron as the basis. Prince of Redhand or Champions of the Arena (from AoW) would have been fantastic set in Cauldron. The closest we really got was Lords of Oblivion (module 8 or 9, I think?) which was based in a few key buildings within the city.

Archade

Azer Paladin
I've found Shackled City to be great for urban and social interaction, and the city really does become the Enterprise (tm) of the campaign, having a personality unto itself.

However, I'd have to agree that the last few adventures are unmemorable. I'm replacing most of the last three with my own creations. But the early campaign is great!

I read Age of Worms, and while I enjoyed seeing the easter eggs, the overall story sounded great, but getting into details, the individual adventures didn't grip me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads