WotC Shadow of the Dragon Queen Preorder Report

Did you receive your preorder of Shadow of the Dragon Queen from the WotC store?

• Not yet

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Yes, I received it!

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I preordered elsewhere and didn't receive it yet

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I preordered elsewhere and received it!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I received the notice of shipping/tracking number

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Poll closed .

darjr

I crit!
As some of you know, I own a comic and game store (classing brick-and-mortar, don't ship orders). The reason I've chimed in here is to mention that, while we have the hardcovers and the deluxe versions of the board game (board game and book bundled together) we DON'T have any copies of the board game by itself, and we're being told that it's not out by itself until February. This is something that I did not know until today.

So any of you waiting on the game, but not the "deluxe" bundle, you may wait awhile. Unless I am being misinformed. (This is unrelated to WotC, who ought to have sent your bundles out with some time for them to actually arrive...)
Thanks for that.

I only saw one box of the board game locally.

darjr

I crit!
Do you mean the game by itself and not the Deluxe box? (Because that would mean that SOME made it out, or like fjw70 says, some retailers split 'em up).
Just the game. I think it might have been a deluxe box opened up, like @fjw70 said, cause I now recall the girls at the counter talking about how cool the foil cover book looked and I don't think you can see the book unless you open the box.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just the game. I think it might have been a deluxe box opened up, like @fjw70 said, cause I now recall the girls at the counter talking about how cool the foil cover book looked and I don't think you can see the book unless you open the box.

Is there a third cover? Because the foil Lord Soth is the retailer variant, which we've got lots of and looks awesome. It's separate.

GreyLord

Legend
As some of you know, I own a comic and game store (classing brick-and-mortar, don't ship orders). The reason I've chimed in here is to mention that, while we have the hardcovers and the deluxe versions of the board game (board game and book bundled together) we DON'T have any copies of the board game by itself, and we're being told that it's not out by itself until February. This is something that I did not know until today.

So any of you waiting on the game, but not the "deluxe" bundle, you may wait awhile. Unless I am being misinformed. (This is unrelated to WotC, who ought to have sent your bundles out with some time for them to actually arrive...)

I think someone lied to you. There may be a hold up for them for your order, but I can verify that the board game is out by itself. I was just holding it (NOT the deluxe version, I don't use D&D beyond). I'm not sure why I would get a copy and it would not be being sent out to others.

I don't think they cannibalized deluxe copies to get me copies. They may have a shortage though, in which case the earlier the order the higher the priority (or I would assume that would be how it would work).

There should be at least a few that will get a copy before February, or I would think so.

Is there a third cover? Because the foil Lord Soth is the retailer variant, which we've got lots of and looks awesome. It's separate.

I believe there are three variant covers for the book.

PS: On the board game itself, I received it a little after I got the books in a surprise package to me. It was a heavy box, I didn't think on it until I read the post above. I had just left it by my door because I've been busy. I read the post, and then thinking it could be the board game I opened it to check today and lo and behold it was the Board game.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think someone lied to you.

Sort of. It seems more likely that they mean that the next "wave" is expected to come out in February, and they gave me nothing from the first wave. This is a common "white lie" in the industry. (In that they tell you that it's not out until XX, but they mean "not for you".)

There may be a hold up for them for your order, but I can verify that the board game is out by itself. I was just holding it (NOT the deluxe version, I don't use D&D beyond).

Good to know, though I would point out that the deluxe version is not a Beyond exclusive. We have THOSE for sale, just not the by-itself version of the board game.

I'm not sure why I would get a copy and it would not be being sent out to others.

Where did you get yours, out of curiosity?

I don't think they cannibalized deluxe copies to get me copies. They may have a shortage though, in which case the earlier the order the higher the priority (or I would assume that would be how it would work).

The priority is not on "earlier" orders (as our orders are due at the same time industry-wide). The priority is usually on SIZE of order. They may allocate across the board, at say, 20%, so if you order 100, you get 20, but if you order 2, you get zero. (I don't know how many we ordered, but it's likely that is what happened).

OR they fill Amazon first, and everyone else gets screwed. It could go either way.

There should be at least a few that will get a copy before February, or I would think so.

It also depends on distributor. And country for that matter. I am Canadian, so it's possible that less made it across the border (though that happens less often than everyone thinks - Canada is basically (usually) considered a small state when it comes to these things, and gets stuff at the same time as the US, unlike Europe and Australia (for example).

I believe there are three variant covers for the book.

Any idea what the bundle-version looks like? The little picture on the corner of the bundle boxes that I have (showing "Book Included!") makes it look like the regular cover, IIRC.

Any idea what the bundle-version looks like? The little picture on the corner of the bundle boxes that I have (showing "Book Included!") makes it look like the regular cover, IIRC.
DragonlanceBookcovers.jpg

The middle book is the deluxe edition book cover, so same art as the box cover.

darjr

I crit!
Yea there are three covers. The Lord Soth one, the one in the deluxe box, and the retail one. I have a photo somewhere. Note I don't know the details of the non Lord Soth ones.

I did think that the third one was in the deluxe box from WotC only, but have been told that's not true.

I didn't know the normal retail one had foil too. Huh?

Remove ads