• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow power source in MotP

The_Fan

First Post
I am surprised no one has noticed this yet. I was just flipping through my MotP, and the Shadow Captain stood out at me. It's a Warlord PP with the shadow power source! Unsurprisingly, it does necrotic damage. It also summons shadows and can steal your opponent's shadow, turning it into a minion version of the monster.

Possible we may see Shadow in PHBIII?

SKyOdin

First Post
Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I didn't even realize that there were Paragon Paths with different power sources than their associated base class. After checking elsewhere, I noticed that the Gatecrasher is an Arcane power source Rogue class. Cool.

The_Fan

First Post
Along those lines, there's also a few in Martial Power. One Ranger path gives you a Primal power (thought it's just the utility, not all three powers).

I am surprised no one has noticed this yet. I was just flipping through my MotP, and the Shadow Captain stood out at me. It's a Warlord PP with the shadow power source! Unsurprisingly, it does necrotic damage. It also summons shadows and can steal your opponent's shadow, turning it into a minion version of the monster.

Possible we may see Shadow in PHBIII?

Dang, I didn't notice that! Good find. (And I love the shadow stealing power, too ;) ).

I think that Shadow will come out eventually was clear, and I think it was even already considered for PHB II in the earlier previews and announcement, but that changed.

Vael

Legend
So, Shadow Powers are called "Powers". Kinda unimpressive, I was thinking "Mysteries" from 3.5's Tome of Magic. Still, I'm looking forward to Shadow Classes, after Psionics, it's the power source I most want to see.

Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I didn't even realize that there were Paragon Paths with different power sources than their associated base class. After checking elsewhere, I noticed that the Gatecrasher is an Arcane power source Rogue class. Cool.

This is good news.

When the inevitable monk class comes out, I hope it's a martial base class with a ki-based paragon path.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I think you are right. PH3 and PH4 will most likely focus on the 4 power sources that we haven't seen yet.
Yes, it's very likely that PHB3 and PHB4 will concentrate on the elemental, shadow, ki and psionic power sources.

Given those PP in MotP, it seems probable that shadow will make its debut in PHB3.

LightPhoenix

First Post
So, Shadow Powers are called "Powers". Kinda unimpressive, I was thinking "Mysteries" from 3.5's Tome of Magic. Still, I'm looking forward to Shadow Classes, after Psionics, it's the power source I most want to see.

I think it's more likely they haven't decided on a final name yet, and didn't want to create a precedent that would need errata later on.

Hawke

Explorer

Here's hoping LightPhoenix is right and they just haven't picked. For that matter, I certainly hope Psionics don't keep the name power for their powers. I wonder what they'd use, though.

Remove ads