• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaman Characters

GreyWanderer

First Post
I was wondering if anybody plays (or has playered) Shamans in D&D 3.0/3.5

I playeed a Shaman in 2nd Edition, then converted him over to 3.0 and had several years worth of fun with him. There is no 'generic' Wizards Shaman class currently; the closest is the one in Oriental Adventures.

I'm currently expanding the (homebrew) class that I have, and converting more of my homebrew material over to 3.5; just looking for feedback.

Grey

'Are D&D players frustrated actors, or are actors frustrated D&D players?'

Vlos

First Post
I currently play a 3.0/3.5 version of the Shaman character from OA. I like it a lot. I also took the Shifter PrC from OA, not as powerful as the ToB one, but still nice.

They are not very good at turning or dealing with undead, but have some nice flavor. I strongly believe that they campaign needs to support them for them to be truely nice. Normal/Core DND does not support Spirits well thus some changes need to be made.

Psion

Adventurer
I had a player with Shaman (from Mongoose's ED: Shamans) in my OA campaign.

Since then, I have had several NPC Shamans, but never any PC shamans. I use the Green Ronin Shaman for both my Homebrew and Second World.

The upcoming Spirit Shaman is Complete Divine sounds interesting, if a bit of a riff on AU. We'll see how it stacks up to GR Shamans.

Last edited:

CaffeineBoy

First Post
I've got to 2nd (3rd?) the Green Ronin recommendation. My homebrew is heavily animistic, and the GR Shaman class is an excellent implementation.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
CaffeineBoy said:
I've got to 2nd (3rd?) the Green Ronin recommendation. My homebrew is heavily animistic, and the GR Shaman class is an excellent implementation.

Shamless plug alert... :)

There is a variant shaman class in the D&D Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide.

ConnorSB

First Post
You should ask Wulf Ratbane. he plays a dwarven shamen in Piratecat's game. You should probably ask him about how the class interacts with Ley Lines too, as thats his baby project thing...

Noir

Explorer
I am currently playing a necromancer with a shamanistic feel. Lots of spirits and such. The setting we play in is quite different from standard DnD though. We have taken a lot of inspiration from WoD's spirit world (the Umbra) among others.

A question for you who use shamans in your game: Do your shamans use psychedelic drugs?

BSF

Explorer
ConnorSB said:
You should ask Wulf Ratbane. he plays a dwarven shamen in Piratecat's game. You should probably ask him about how the class interacts with Ley Lines too, as thats his baby project thing...

Umm, last I checked Stone Bear was not dwarven. As I recall, he is a monk/OA Shaman (who is eyeless). Nifty character and they are doing cool things in the story hour.

I dig the Green Ronin Shaman. I have a player that is playing one now. HE is only 3rd level, so I can't comment on how well it scales yet, but I am looking forward to the character development.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
My own setting uses the Shaman from Netherland/Bloodstone's Primal Codex. Not bad, easily tweakable (which I tweaked). One of the features I like most about it is the idea of temporary infusing yourself with the power of a spirit; Essentially, it's akin to a template that you take on and off in a manner similar to a Barbarian's Rage.

In an Oathbound game, I have a cohort that's a Shaman/Witch/Mystic Theurge, with both Shaman and Witch being from the Green Ronin Handbooks. Not bad material.

I'll have to review MEG's Hunt: Rise of Evil... They had an interesting twist on the Shaman, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head. I do recall it being heavily influenced by Native American traditions, but it was by virtue of the Spirits themselves; change the spirits, change the influence the make.

Remove ads