• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaman Characters

GreyWanderer

First Post
Shaman Question

Gang:

I haven't read Shaman material from d20 Publishers; I didn't want it to influence my Homebrew Shaman. But You've made me curious - especially about Green Ronin.

My question now is, do they produce new d20 Spirit creatures, or have they decided to let Shaman spells use existing monsters (incorporeal undead, elementals, etc.) as Spirits?

Grey

'Are D&D players frustrated actors or are actors frustrated D&D players?!?'

BSF

Explorer
Yes - OK, that wasn't very helpful. They state that incorporeal undead and elementals are Spirits. There is also a Spirit Template that can be dropped onto corporeal creatures to make new Spirit critters.

Psion

Adventurer
GreyWanderer said:
My question now is, do they produce new d20 Spirit creatures, or have they decided to let Shaman spells use existing monsters (incorporeal undead, elementals, etc.) as Spirits?

Both.

They classify many existing creatures as spirits, and create new spirit templates (for spirit animals and the like) and specific spirits.

takyris

First Post
Silly question from Tacky: What's a shaman?

Not to get all corebook-snobbish on anybody, but I can see a shaman being doable from a combination of corebooks. A straight druid, a druid/sorcerer or druid/wizard, or even a straight wizard with the right spell choices (and possibly an Animal Companion and Wild Empathy instead of a familiar) could handle it decently. Might make for a fun character, actually.

Just a thought -- and certainly not the only valid way to make a shaman. As I said, not trying to get corebook snobbish. It just seemed like the druid is, if you change the name, a pretty decent implementation of a medicine-man-type character.

Psion

Adventurer
takyris said:
Not to get all corebook-snobbish on anybody, but I can see a shaman being doable from a combination of corebooks. A straight druid, a druid/sorcerer or druid/wizard, or even a straight wizard with the right spell choices (and possibly an Animal Companion and Wild Empathy instead of a familiar) could handle it decently. Might make for a fun character, actually.

Well, you could. In fact, one early d20 book classified them as clerics with specific domains.

Obviously the difference is the detail with which they model the concept of shamanism. Much like clerics turn undead, shamans rebuke spirits. Much like druids have empathy with animals, shamans have empathy with spirits. So you see, turning undead isn't QUITE what the shaman does, and so forth.

One of the features I like most about it is the idea of temporary infusing yourself with the power of a spirit; Essentially, it's akin to a template that you take on and off in a manner similar to a Barbarian's Rage.

I liked that too. :)

BSF

Explorer
takyris said:

Just a thought -- and certainly not the only valid way to make a shaman. As I said, not trying to get corebook snobbish. It just seemed like the druid is, if you change the name, a pretty decent implementation of a medicine-man-type character.

It's a possibility, but it really depends on the flavor that you want for the Shaman. If you want you Shaman to be closer to a Medicine Man, you really need to change things around. Yes, a Cleric can sorta fill that role. Just make a few changes here and there, make sure your flavor is appropriate, etc. A Druid could work too, but again you want to make some changes. A wizard would be a bit of a stretch I think, but a Sorceror wouldn't be as big a change. Certainly, it is possible to model many archtypes off the base classes. But, sometimes somebody will come up with a very interesting way to structure an archtype. In the case of the Green Ronin Shaman, they created something very interesting. Essentially, it is a Spontaneous Divine spellcaster with a somewhat limited spell list. You expand it out by selecting domains for each of your totems. Replace some class abilities, add a little salt and pepper for flavor, and you have a class that is different.

However, if I were going to use Core classes, I would probably use a Druid and make some of the Shaman spells available. I would probably also give the player the choice of Rebuke Spirits, or wildshape. Thus, create a skinwalker of a spirit guide.

Ghostwind

First Post
Mystic Eye's upcoming Pantheons & Pagan Faiths has their revised shaman class (nicely done). If you're looking for an evil shaman, there is one in MEG's Dark Walkers book that uses some material from GR's shaman book with a new twist.

milotha

First Post
takyris said:

Yeah, I'm currently playing a shaman character. Instead of using another class from another publisher, I just made him a druid/sorcerer. I've modified the write up of the Mystic Theurge to be a sort of shaman prestige class and am taking levels in that. The shaman aspect of the character comes from the role playing, not the specific class powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads