• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaman: Protector Spirit with Scarred Healer

babinro

First Post
The Spirit Boon granted by Protector Spirit and the Paragon Path Scar's gift from Primal Power pg83 are nearly identical. My question is simply this, do these abilities work together?

I assume each power triggers separately as they have different names and indicate 'regaining additional hit points' as opposed to adding hp to an existing power. Am I correct in saying the ally Shaman would effectively grant the ally adjacent to the spirit companion 2 x Con mod additional hit points when using healing spirit?

On a side note, any shaman players have a recommended at-will for protector build? There are a lot of good choices but only one I can choose. Having never played the class, I'm torn between Spirit of the Tempest as a means to grant Saving Throws or Wrath of Winter as a means to position the Spirit. I'm playing a Dwarf if that helps with the advice.

Shamans have feats that call the spirit as a free action and grant saves when healing...so maybe another at-will altogether would ultimately be better. Watcher's Strike seems universally nice for the untyped attack roll bonus. Suggestions?

Kinneus

Explorer
On a side note, any shaman players have a recommended at-will for protector build? There are a lot of good choices but only one I can choose. Having never played the class, I'm torn between Spirit of the Tempest as a means to grant Saving Throws or Wrath of Winter as a means to position the Spirit. I'm playing a Dwarf if that helps with the advice.
It's been a long time since I played a Shaman, but I remember barely using Wrath of Winter. I picked it for the same reason you're considering it; to re-position your spirit quickly. But remember you have to hit with it in order to re-position. It sucks to miss with it when you really need your spirit over there right now.

Also, keep in mind that you can unsummon and then re-summon your spirit with two minor actions. Two minor actions to re-position anywhere, or a standard action and attack roll to re-position directly adjacent to an enemy. Both have their merits, I guess... but the second option is too weak to justify taking up one of your precious at-wills, in my opinion.

Garris

First Post
I'm playing a Dwarf Protector Shaman of my own. Not knowing anything about the type of monsters my DM would run with I went with Spirit of the Tempest, as I suspected he might use many custom monsters, or monsters with debilitating (save ends) effects. In general, though, if you have ANYONE in your party with decent basic attacks (either melee OR ranged) Claws of the Eagle is the way to go.

Angellis_ater

First Post
First of all, Sudden Call is an awesome feat. If anything I would take one of the at-wills from the other Builds. If Primal Power is available, try the one that allows you to slide an ally 2 squares (or he shifts 2 as a free action, can't remember). Alternatively, the one which gives ALL allies adjacent to your spirit Temp HP equal to your Wis/Con modifier (don't remember which one). If you want to be more offensive, take the one which allows your spirit to flank.

yesnomu

First Post
The Spirit Boon granted by Protector Spirit and the Paragon Path Scar's gift from Primal Power pg83 are nearly identical. My question is simply this, do these abilities work together?

I assume each power triggers separately as they have different names and indicate 'regaining additional hit points' as opposed to adding hp to an existing power. Am I correct in saying the ally Shaman would effectively grant the ally adjacent to the spirit companion 2 x Con mod additional hit points when using healing spirit?
Maybe! That's the fun thing about ambiguous wording. Since it uses the word "target", my DM decided it would apply only to the target of a primal healing power--which meant it'd help only the surge-spender of Healing Spirit for me. Not terrible (I took the basically identical heroic feat Vigorous Spirit, after all), but not as good as Healing Guides, which is why I ended up picking Spirit Tempest instead.

However, if your DM uses a more liberal interpretation, then yes, it would.

As for an at-will, Spirit of the Tempest is great once status effects start getting given out like Halloween candy, even with the bothersome melee 1 range. But if you have a powerful RBAer, Claws of the Eagle is also pretty ace.

DracoSuave

First Post
The reason why Wrath of Winter is used isn't for the effect... it's because it's simply the most damaging Shaman At-will, at 1d10+stuff damage.

No other reason needed.

Remove ads