• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shapechange question

young_dwarf

First Post
I reckon an Otterscrubber is some old crazy man at the zoo who gets paid to wash the otters everyday just so that he can afoord to buy that bottle of whisky that night !

(I know this has nothing to do with the actual question I just though that jgbrowning made a good point)

Sparrow

First Post
So, I might be playing a friend's character--a wizard--for our next session, and we are facing the climax of the campaign, fighting the big baddie. Last time I gueststarred as the wizard, I got possessed after trying to read an evil book and ended up killing a paladin.

I gotta keep up my reputation as being a vicious understudy, but I'd like to work wit the PCs this time, so....The wizard presently has a polymorph self spell left (and a bunch of other stuff but that's not important.) My question is to clarify what people have said here.

According to 3.0 rules, if I polymorphed into a Troll, would I get regeneration but not rend, since the former is an extraordinary ability and the latter is an extraordinary attack. Or is it a natural attack routine?

Thanks,
Sparrow

Dwarmaj

First Post
In 3.0 you wouldn't get the regeneration or the rending abilites. You don't get any Ex abilities with Polymorph self/other. You'd also not get the attack routines of the creature you changed into. With the Shapechange spell you would get regeneration and the attack routines.

Grog

First Post
Re: Re: Shapechange question

gfunk said:
Otherwise, Enjoy your 40+ AC and 40+ Str, ridiculous Blindisght and 33 SR!

You wouldn't get the SR. SR is a supernatural ability, and shapechange doesn't give you the supernatural abilities of the creature.

Grog

First Post
kreynolds said:
What gfunk said, except that in 3.5, I don't think you get any of the extraordinary abilities, so no blindsight, spell resistance, scent, darkvision, low-light vision, etc.

You won't get the extraordinary abilities in 3.5? That really knocks the spell's power down... Although I suppose it makes the Shifter PrC look a lot better in comparassion.

Dwarmaj

First Post
SR is an Ex ability in 3.0 so you get it with Shapechange.

In 3.5 wildshape doesn't give you Ex qualities so probably no SR/immunities/abilities for shifters. Unless they modify the class somehow to grant Ex qualities (which would be great since I play a Shifter as my main PC) Shifters may be SOL.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Shapechange question

Originally posted by Dwarmaj

You'd also not get the attack routines of the creature you changed into.

That is not entirely correct. In the PHB page 237 under polymorph other it states that you do get the attack routines (claw, claw and bite; swoop and rake; and constriction; but not petrification, breath weapons, energy drains, energy effects, etc.) Unless this has been FAQ'ed, which is possible as I dont keep up on that stuff as well as others who read these boards. As far as what abilities you get, they sidestep things by saying you get the "natural" abilities of whatever creature you polymorph into. As if there wasnt enough gray area.

Although it is clear you do get Extraordinary abilities with Shapechange, that much is clear.

As far as turning into a troll and regenerating I think someone else pointed out that Regen only regenerates subdual damage, if you polymorph into a troll and you are damaged that damage translates into real damage you have sustained and cannot be regenerated. I have to read up on that again to make sure it is right but it sounds good to me in any event. I would hate to think that mages had a ghetto 4th level Heal spell at their fingertips. That does not sit well with me. And I'm a mage :)

Last edited:

Dwarmaj

First Post
Tome & Blood has the latest version of Poly Self/Other. Sure you can use the claw/bites, but you have to use your normal iterative attacks. A Shifter with a BAB of +8 would get two Primary attacks (claw) of +8 and a secondary attack (bite) at +3. A wizard with a BAB of +8 would get only two attacks +8/+3 two bites or one bite and one claw.

3.5E will be chaning polymorph (which wildshape is based on again) so that you get the attack routines. It makes more sense anyways.

Polymorph(3.0) does not allow Ex abilities, so no regeneration. Shapechange(3.0) does, but fast healing is better since it will heal damage done before the change while regeneration would only heal subdual damage taken prior to the change.

Remove ads