Shapechange

WizarDru

Adventurer
So my players are considering the use of 3.5's Shapechange, particuarly the wizard and the druid. And while I've rarely felt the need for a house-rule, I'd like to get a feel for the spell, and if it's been errated yet.

Because while I see some limitations, it looks overly good, even for a 9th-level spell. To make sure I understand correctly:

• Shapechange is 10 minutes/level.
  • You can shape change into damn-near anything you desire.
  • You don't get spell-like abilities, lose any of your native supernatural abilities, but otherwise get all the powers (both EX and SU) of the assumed form.
  • You assume the STR, DEX and CON of the creature you become.
  • You retain the BAB of your original form.
  • You are HEALED EACH TIME YOU CHANGE FORM.
  • You may change form at will each turn, and the change is instaneous.
  • You do not gain any of the feats or skills of the assumed form (i.e. you do not have multi-attack, weapon proficiencies, and so forth).
  • For abilities based on INT, CHA or WIS, such as a Bodak's Gaze Attack or a Beholder's eyebeams, the original form's bonuses are used.
I'm still on the fence with regards to this. It seems powerful, but it has some restrictions. My biggest concern is the duration and the healing, if I'm reading it right. I also wonder if I'm over-guaging it's effectiveness.

I'd like to hear what folks think of it, and if there is any errata concerning it, yet (i.e. unofficial sage answers, comments from Andy Collins, and so forth).

Jeremy

Explorer
WizarDru said:
I'd like to hear what folks think of it, and if there is any errata concerning it, yet (i.e. unofficial sage answers, comments from Andy Collins, and so forth).

I haven't heard anything from anyone important yet, but if you are worried about it's power, it is one of the best as evidenced by it's extensive use in arena play.

Worse, in actual game play the wizard can use it to shapechange into something with fast healing and heal all of his damage instead of just 'as if resting for a day' which in 3.0 was at least saged to no more than 14 times per day or some other random number.

This limit doesn't appear to be included anymore, but it also doesn't seem necessary now that SU abilities are included.

Love that spell. Wish, Gate, Mordenkainen's Disjunction, Hide Life, 9th level spells are game changing. Except maybe meteor swarm, which can have 120 points of fire damage negated by just a ring of fire resistance. :p

WizarDru

Adventurer
Jeremy said:
Love that spell. Wish, Gate, Mordenkainen's Disjunction, Hide Life, 9th level spells are game changing. Except maybe meteor swarm, which can have 120 points of fire damage negated by just a ring of fire resistance. :p

Well, Wish requires 5,000 x.p. per casting, so it isn't going off every round. Gate requires both x.p. and some sort of incentive for the being called (and the duration is wildly variable...from a single combat to days, mostly in the DM's control). Mord's Disjunction is a spell that monsters get a much better use of than players, and really punishes your allies as much as your enemies, unless they're not near you. Not sure where Hide Life is from, so I can't reall comment on it. Meteor Swarm is highly overrated.

9th level spells should be awesome...but Shapechange seems somewhat TOO good, now. I'm looking for the downside to it, because right now it looks like the spellcasters will be using their 10th level slots to extend Shapechange to 20 mins./level, or 7 HOURS per day. The permabuff returns. I may rule the time down, at this point, unless someone convices me that I'm not overestimating it's power.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Yes, shapechange is one of those 'problem spells.' I'm surprised they didn't slap on an XP cost to it like they did to many of the others. Targetted dispel, or disjunction can put a stop to it, or perhaps make up a low level spell that negates shapechanging (including polymorph type effects) for some amount of time.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Even worse, shapechange lets you get a 3.0 haste effect. Turn into a Choker, and you get its "Quickness" supernatural ability.

This makes it the one and only way for a sorcerer to cast two spells per round, or for a wizard to cast three.

WingOver

First Post
AuraSeer said:
Even worse, shapechange lets you get a 3.0 haste effect. Turn into a Choker, and you get its "Quickness" supernatural ability.

This makes it the one and only way for a sorcerer to cast two spells per round, or for a wizard to cast three.

The Choker doesn't have hands, it has tentacles. Can it cast spells that use Somatic or Material components?

Remove ads