Share your session notes?

redrick

First Post
Recently, I've been looking for ways to improve the physical session notes I use at the table while gaming. I would be curious if other folks might be interested in posting some examples of the session notes they use in play? I'm particularly interested in notes for published adventures, as I find these tend to require the most "looking stuff up" at the table — when running an adventure of my own design, I tend to have a much better handle on the details, but I frequently find myself flipping through my notes while published adventures, trying to find the place that one detail was written down.

How do you lay out your adventure notes? Do you scribble everything you need in the margins or white space of your map? Do you put post-it-notes with the "must know facts" on the back of your screen? Fill your book with those little post-it flags? I'd love to see it and hear about it!

(Personally, I'm most interested in the analog approaches, as we play at a physical tabletop without laptops or tablets, though I do sometimes find myself needing to hastily reference PDFs on my cell phone — ugh.)

aramis erak

Legend
My "session notes" are to turn the parapgraphs of text into outlines inside embedded tables in a word processor.

this is extracted from HotDQ Ch 3 prep notes:
Back to the Compound
Leosin offers 150gp each to spy on the camp
"“After all you’ve done already for me personally and for the people of Greenest, I hate to ask anything more from you. But the need is great, and I dare to hope that you can aid me one time more. I need you to return to the cultists’ camp. You know your way around it now. If the cultists are preparing to conduct another raid, or a large body of them marches away, or if anything substantial is carried into or out of that cave, I need to know. If you have a chance to get into the camp and look around again, that would be the ideal way to spot anything that’s changed.
“I don’t recommend letting yourselves get captured,” he adds with a wry smile. 
(To Eclipse: “You understand, don't you?”)"
Leosin headed north to secure aid against the cult.
Leosin thinks that there's no major rush; the camp should be stable for a while.
Camp mostly abandoned by the time they get there.
1d4 scouts ("Hunters") in camp at arrival
XP cap 1800
[stat blocks for scouts with checkboxes for HP, spell slots, and limited use abilities]
Locations, Cave Map
Code:
#	Name			Light	Enc?	Rnd
1	Cave Entrance		Bright	Yes	—
2	Concealed Passage	Bright	No	—
3	Fungus Garden		Dim	Yes	Yes
3a	Trapped Stair		Dark	—	—
4	Stirge Lair		Dim	Yes	Yes
5	Troglodyte Incursion	Dark	Timed	Yes
6	Meat Locker		Dark	No	Yes
6a	Trapped Curtain		Dark	—	—
7	Drake Nursery		Dim	Yes	Yes
7a	Spike Trap		Dim	—	—
8	Kobold Barracks		Dim	Yes	Yes
8a	Collapsing Trap		Dim	—	—
9	Dragon Shrine		Dim	Yes	Yes
9a	Acid Trap		Dim	—	—
10	Dragon Hatchery		Dim	—	—
10a	Hatching Floor		Dim	Yes	Yes
10b	Ledge, Kobolds		Dim	Yes	Yes
11	Frulam's Quarters	Dim	Cond.	No
12	Guard Barracks		Dark	Yes	No
13	Treasure Room	 13gp	Dark	Yes	No

At the Compound
Frulam Mondath aka Wearer of the Purple
Langderosa Cyanwrath aka Dragonman
Some warriors
Some kobolds aka "dragondogs"
Camp mostly abandoned by the time they get there.

Bonus XP
Code:
Locating traps, each trap	100
Each Egg Destroyed or Take	250
For leaving Egg 3		500
Luring roper off 		1800
XP Limit	
1800 XP per PC limit.
I print it out before session. I keep a library of monster templates reduced to a terser version of the MM entry for pulling these together.
And I scribble on the printout as it plays.

There's a checkbox for eggs destroyed, and for eggs taken...

Any other session notes of note will be scribbled into the margins.

Last edited:

redrick

First Post
[MENTION=6779310]aramis erak[/MENTION], out of curiosity, how long does this end up taking you? Do you bang up the whole adventure this way (which then lasts you several sessions of gaming, but possibly becomes moot once your players take things offroad), or do you try to estimate what will be relevant for each session and just try to keep ahead?

I've tried "retyping" adventures a few times, but I find it usually takes me longer than I have in between sessions. I guess the advantage is that you can throw the original adventure text away and just run from your own notes at the table, plus having written and laid out in a way that is most helpful for you.

For the adventure I'm currently running, a Call of Cthulhu adventure called "Fade to Gray", I read through the adventure and wrote down the name and basic identification of every character, the name and neighborhood of every location, and, wherever possible, a bullet point for every "clue" that characters could find. (That way, I could make sure to reseed essential clues if characters didn't think to pursue a certain line of inquiry.) Of course, I didn't have time to print the damn thing out before everybody showed up.

Thanks for your reply!

aramis erak

Legend
This is also what my home prep looks like, but with less quote text and more talking point for dialogue.

For AL, I prep the whole thing about 2 weeks ahead of time.

I've run HOTDQ 4 times (twice Ch 1-3 only, once 1-5, this time I plan to finish the damned thing), but this is the first time I've gotten to Ch. 6, so my prep is reused for that.

For a dungeon (which this chapter is) I've seen Ch 3 of HOTDQ take anywhere from 3 hours to 18 hours of play; my friend Peter ran Ch 3 in about 8 hours

For my home campaign, i do this for what I think is one dungeon or two sessions ahead, but I often have pages that get skipped, because I'll plan 3 branches and use 1, then later reopen those original branches in later plans.

For published adventures, I'll often make sheets for the whole thing, then adjust a copy of the file as players mangle the storyline.

I rewrite it to help learn it; it increases my comprehension and retention. (Did I mention I'm an educator? Yeah, I treat it just like lesson planning.)

aramis erak

Legend
Oh, and for non-D&D...

In Blood & Honor, my "prep" is just a few NPC's and a motivation, on an otherwise blank character sheet. My records of session are the character sheets, land sheets, and resultant map notes. Nothing like a huge green oni being player tagged as "Friendly," "Intellectual," and "Misunderstood by the common man"..

For Traveller, my prep tends to depend upon the nature of the group. For a mission oriented, it will look much like for D&D. For tramp freighters, it will be the artifacts of play: Log entries (I have players write them in session), NPC's, and some competitors, with occasional side mission hooks, which if they bite, I then prep for next session.

For FFG star Wars, a lot depends on state of play at end of session, but I have a consolidated list of every ship, template NPC, critter, and vehicle in the books I've got. I tend to be fairly off the cuff.

aramis erak

Legend
[MENTION=6779310]aramis erak[/MENTION], out of curiosity, how long does this end up taking you? Do you bang up the whole adventure this way (which then lasts you several sessions of gaming, but possibly becomes moot once your players take things offroad), or do you try to estimate what will be relevant for each session and just try to keep ahead?
Note that I generally don't use pre-written adventures for home games, so...
Once I had the base batch of monster stat blocks redone, it takes only about 20 minutes per scene to create them.

Thanks for your reply!

You're welcome.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I'm currently playing a longer-term adventure path and we've gone through roughly half of the modules so far.

I've prepped a LOT before we actually started because I wanted to weave the PC's backgrounds into the campaign, make the inclusion feel natural and expand on those themes their character background focuses on. I read the description of each module then quick-read through it, so I roughly knew what was happening when. I then used "buzzwords" (NPC, Towns, peoples etc.) from their background and literally searched the pdfs for every mention of these words so I could be sure I wouldn't get into trouble when I changed things a bit. Then I wrote a timeline (a complete one for myself and a spoiler free one for the players) and studied the major NPC players and factions to familiarize with them. So, I basically made sure to read enough to know the setting and the storyline pretty well which made my individual prepping sessions so much easier.

Now, I generally do a document file for every module. Here I write down my thoughts (I tend to forget good ideas I got under the shower), additions, changes, NPC backgrounds (I know my players always ask about the little details), NPC reactions to specific PCs and encounter changes (I have to rewrite everything from D&D 3.5 to PF). I also write down when the players did something the module did not forsee so i might add it in later and let their action have consequences in much later modules. In addition, I write down environmental specifics and environmental "stats" (like enhanced magic etc), mostly because I'm faster when I read stuff in my mother tongue (German) than when I have to read it in English and I tend to forget crunch when focusing on the narrative.

For my campaign, I have two important folders that are always within reach:

-One contains all the campaign info, along with maps for dungeons and regions, and is for my eyes only.

-The other contains all the custom weapons in my campaign, and is always available to everyone.

My campaign folder contains the following:

-Word documents for all the important islands/countries in my campaign, with a quick breakdown of all the notable locations and npc's and small chapters on each quest that I have planned in those locations. I tend to write out a lot of character descriptions and motivations, and sometimes I even prepare some important dialogues before I run the session.

-A timeline of important historical events in my setting, because I want to get all the dates right. If a player asks me what happened x years ago, I always have the answer.

timeline.jpg

-Abbreviated lists of monsters that I plan to use, so I don't have to look them up in the MM. (Plus I use a lot of custom monsters).

-random encounter tables for each type of environment, and random loot tables.

-A weather tracker. I know exactly from what direction the wind is coming, how strong the wind speed is, and what the weather is like.

-A faction tracker. I keep track of the attitude of all the important factions in my campaign towards the players, and their ships. Which groups are loyal to them, and which are hostile.

When I prepare for a next session, I make sure I have updated random encounter tables ready, and I copy any monsters that I might need to a document, and print it out. I also look for some concept art for important locations, monsters and characters. If I expect the players to encounter a dungeon, I prepare a map for it, I prepare the monsters, a loot table, and notes for locations in that dungeon. I may even prepare some dungeon tiles of the dungeon.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm running 13th Age, so my prep is a little different then those running D&D, but it's the same general feel. I never use adventures so my session doc needs to have everything I need to run, including a few options if the players don't do what I expected. They also contain summary of some campaign notes for planning & improv purposes. Each session I start with a copy of the last one, because there's a lot of things that are static or pull forward. Looking at last session it was 14 pages.

I do everthing in a word (well, libreoffice) document, and the header includes the date, so I can keep the papers sorted.

Character overview (1 page). This is just info on all of the characters so I can make sure to spotlight their various abilities. In 13th Age it's their One Unique Thing, Backgrounds (skills) and Icon Relationships, including "implied" relationships by Icons that are opposed or strongly allied. Also useful for when they are off when I have prepared and I'm running improv. "Hey, he's got these skills, I can work that in" or whatever. Oh, and when designing adventures and arcs. (Also works as a good "cover card" since I don't use a DM screen; everything on it is public knowledge.)

Major campaign arcs (1.5 pages) - has summary about the (currently 4) major arcs. Useful planning, when details change (while I start with ideas, things often change not just in reaction to what characters did, but what players are interested in, or just new ideas. If it hasn't come up in game, it's not set in stone.) Also useful for if they come across a source of exposition, like someone knowledgeable or an oracle.

Those pages above are more static then not, the below change every session though unused material gets pulled forward.

Recap of last session - I like to start with a recap, thouh I haven't been doing it as much recently. Need to get back int o that habit. (I also have a seperate recap document that I copy them all into which is effectively the whole story of the campaign.)

Color and location notes - not in all of my prep notes. Local color (especially sense besides sight), for cities notes of the different areas and some notable NPCs, etc. Because my players can and will do anything and I need to be prepared for it. This also has notes about details characters could notice. For instance they were flying over the Red Wastes in a Dwarven Zeppelin and the Dwarfforged Soldier would have a chance to notice that there were a lot of abandoned orc camps, looking like they were mobilizing and heading NW, while to the sorcerer and another character the ambient magic twirled oddly, like as if a very magical being had been flying around. Both are hooks for later.

Adventure for this session - because I'm running homebrew, all my adventure notes for what I'm expecting. Just text, not stat blocks. I also keep NPC details outside the adventure section, because it flows pretty fast and is compact.

Mind you, many plot threads are running at the same time and my players often confound me with what they are doing, so I have a bunch of things they could do there.

Just a quick discussion on the break up between this and the other sections. Say the group is in a city, and want to get information from the ruler. The Color section will talk about the city, the general feel, different districts and some attractions (bazaar, etc.) It will also have a short list of colorful people you can meet in each location so I can easily bring them to life as they travel through them. This section will have information abotu who they want to talk to in order to get access to the rules, what the rules wants, the capture attempt by bounty hunters, the asylum fire they will see and may or may not get involved in, as well as information about local thieves' handouts because I KNOW one of my players will go there. The NPC sections (below) will actually have details about some NPCs so as not to derail this section, and any combat stats will also be ina lower section. (Though traps would probably be here becasue they are very short and this way I don't need to switch pages).

NPCs
Details on some NPCs they will or can meet (but not stat blocks), as well as pre-generated lists of NPC names sorted by race and gender. (Well, my elf names are gender neutral.)

Prep/To Do - just a short place I scribble notes of things I need to prep for next session. (Detail the books they heisted from the temple, what will the Dwarven spymaster do after the characters rebuffed him)

There's also some details of things from the campaign arcs that are coming up soon so I can make sure to foreshadow and weave them in.

Combat Stats - this is where I have all the stat blocks. 13th Age is short, I can easily fix 3-5 per page. I do them single sided and try to have everything for any 1 encounter on the same sheet. Also enough whitespace to track combat - HPs, conditions, etc. Pelgrane Press (who publishes 13th Age) gives out PDFs when you purchase physical books (go Bits and Mortar program!), so this is copy-paste from the PDFs and a bit of formatting, not retyping.

Magic Items - I hand out cards of magic items - 13th Age doesn't have just "+1 mace" - even something like a weapon will have in addition to it's plus it will have a flavorful power (not just another math adjustment) and a quirk. So I do two-column, bordered, single-sided and just cut ti cout and hand to the players if they find it. Each item has a name, physical description, what it does, and the quirk. I've also used these for boons (permanent boosts to a character) and for things like they were all carried on intelligent giant eagles for a few sessions while they helped out the High Druid.

Celebrim

Legend
I went and looked for an encounter in the current campaign that was relatively well worked up that had been more or less fully explored. This is what I came up with:

Encounter #17: Sulfur Caves
The cave mouth is about 50’ wide and 20’ high at its highest point and forms a shelter about 10’ deep. The ceiling rapidly lowers at that point until it’s only about 8’ high. A bulk of stone then divides the cave mouth into two passage ways. The smaller is about 8’ high and 20’ wide and branches generally to the right. A flow of steaming water about ankle deep ripples down this passage. The broader passage is about 40’ wide, but only about 5’ high except where a smooth winding channel has been cut in the stone by flowing water. This channel is about 4’ deep and about 3’ wide. Both stream passages are stained multicolored by minerals and brightly colored algae. The entire cave smokes and steams, making visibility difficult, especially of the ceiling where steam congregates. The lower walls of the cave are covered in glimmering white and yellow mineral deposits and flow stones, and there is a scattering of broad white stalactites about 3’ high. About 30’ into the left passage you can see two such formations belching hot vapor. Standing in the mouth of the cave feels something like standing in the mouth of an oven, only wetter, and the air smells strongly of rotten eggs.

Each hour or fraction there of spent in the caves requires a DC 17 endurance check or take 1d6+4 temporary heat damage, unless magic such as endure elements is used, in which case but a DC 12 endurance check is required to avoid 1d6-2 heat damage.

Fire Drakes (7); CR 4; medium dragon; HD: 5d12+13 (45 hp); Initiative: +1; Speed: 30ft, fly 60ft (average).; AC: 16 ( +1 Dex, +5 natural); Atk: bite +6 (1d6+1), 2 claws +4 (1d4+1); Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. SA: Breath Weapon (DC 11), Pyrophoric Blood (DC 11, 1d3 fire); SQ: Acid Resist 5, Fire Resist 25, dark vision, scent; Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +4; Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 10; Skills: Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +9, Listen +9, Tumble +9, Survival +7; Feats: Alertness, Multiattack

Breath Weapon (Su): A fire drake’s breath weapon has two modes. Either a 20 ft. cone of fire (2d8, reflex DC 11 half) or a flaming ball that with an 80’ range that bursts over a 10’ radius (3d6 damage, reflex DC 11 half). On a failed save, the attacks potentially ignite their target.

Pyrophoric Blood (Ex): A fire drake’s blood is highly flammable and ignites in a burst of flame upon contact with the air. A creature that makes a successful melee attack with a slashing or piercing weapon against a fire drake must succeed on a DC 11 Reflex save or take 1d3 points of fire damage from the splashing blood.

Each drake’s hide weighs about 10lb and is worth 40 s.p.

Area A [CR 1 Obstacle]
The low passage requires you to stoop through much of it. The ceiling is bare and flat and drips with condensation. The floor in contrast is quite uneven and broken, with sharp edged slabs that have sheared off from the ceiling lying in piles and small multicolored stalactites that look like so many pimples. There are a few larger stalactites that merge practically with the ceiling. Three of the irregular mounds are different than the others, in that they are belching steam and drops of water out of their tops. The walls are covered with rippling curtains of rock. The right wall of the passage is slightly higher than the left, and dark gaps in the walls formations reveal small ledges or rooms overlooking this one. Slightly to the left of the center of the passage is a winding ‘u’ shaped stream channel that cuts down through the rock floor to reveal bands of white and orange stone. Strong mineral smells carry in the stifling hot humid air.

Because of the low ceiling, unless they enter the stream channel, taller medium sized creatures are forced to stoop and have double the usual fumble threat range, may not run, and take a -1 circumstance penalty to their attack rolls, damage, and AC.

The water in the smaller stream is polluted with mineral sulfur and mildly acidic. On the first round of exposure, the character feels only a mild itching sensation. For each additional round of exposure and for three rounds after exposure ends, the character takes 1 acid damage.

Characters in the same space as the smoker take 1d6 fire damage, DC 10 reflex save for half.

Detecting area B requires either a careful search of the left wall or a DC 12 Spot check.

Area B [CR 1 Obstacle]
This circular chamber is only about 3’ high but is about 25’ across. Entering the chamber requires a squeeze, as the entrance is partially blocked by a curtain of light yellow mineral encrusted cave formations. Small stalagmites rising out of pools of stagnant foul smelling water cover the floor of the chamber, and a number of short blackened stalactites line the ceiling. There is a smaller chamber across this one, visible only as black opening.

Squeezing into or out of the chamber requires a DC 17 escape artist check. Once in, tall medium sized creature may only crawl, and other medium sized creatures are generally required to stoop. Because of the formations, this is difficult terrain for anyone that is small sized or larger. The water on the floor is mildly acidic, similar to that in the small steam, although because of the shallowness this hazard can be avoided if the character is armored and has proper hand protection.

This chamber is triangular and about 15’ on each side. The far end of the chamber narrows down until it is no more than a foot high. Chocolate colored formations similar to the prior room fill it, and clog the small further end of the room. Various mineral and small crystalline deposits encrust the walls and floor.

It requires a DC 11 search check to notice that among the various mineral deposits and formations are several mineral encrusted skeletons. Close investigation finds three human skeletons and six sidhe skeletons which appear to have been here for varying periods, perhaps centuries in the oldest cases. These are the remains of victims of the Dadananshee in area D.

Area C [CR 2 Obstacle]
The low broad passage you have been traveling in narrows to about 15’ wide and deepens to about 9’ high. Thin rivulets of steaming water run across the glass smooth glistening stone floor. The walls here are bare yellow, white, and orange bands of high polish, which in the moist air glimmer like semiprecious stones. The air is hot and burns the eyes, stings the nose, and on the tongue tastes vaguely like rank sharp lemons. The stream passage here is very winding, so much so that it has at some point in the past doubled back on itself leaving a loop higher and drier than the rest of the passage.

The water in the smaller stream is polluted with mineral sulfur and mildly acidic. On the first round of exposure, the character feels only a mild itching sensation. For each additional round of exposure and for three rounds after exposure ends, the character takes 1 acid damage. The water here is also what, on each round of direct exposure the character also takes 1 fire damage.

Fumes from the stream and pool beyond are quite thick here. Unless the character has acid resistance to some degree, they must make a DC 14 Fort save each round after the first or become sickened until they leave the area and for 1d4 additional rounds. Because of the acid in the water and air here, the fire drakes which otherwise freely roam the cave tend to avoid this area and area D beyond and will not willingly enter it.

The smooth wet floor requires a DC 6 balance check to navigate without slipping. Anyone that slips is automatically exposed to the acid in the steam.

If the characters make significant noise in this area, and if in particular they engage in conversation, the dannanshee in area D will attempt to charm them with her song of domination, hoping to subvert the party before they become a threat to her.

Area D [CR 4 Obstacle]
The stream passage ends here at a boiling hot spring, with a deep green pool about 10’ wide and 30’ long, which bubbles and bursts with bubbles of steam. The motion of this water causes it to lap over the edges of the pool and forms the small stream you’ve been following. The walls of the chamber are covered with bright yellow mineral crystals up to a height of about 5’ above the level of the pool. As in the passage, the air stings your eyes and nose.

Award experience for passing the obstacle only if the treasure is obtained from it.

Fumes from the pool are quite thick here. Unless the character has acid resistance to some degree, they must make a DC 16 Fort save each round after the first or become sickened until they leave the area and for 1d4 additional rounds. The pool is both boiling hot and strongly acidic, making contact and emersion with it quite dangerous indeed. Contact causes 1d4 damage and wounds a limb as a caltrop as well as 1 acid damage and 1 additional acid damage for 3 rounds after contact ends. Emersion causes 2d6 fire damage, DC 10 Fort save for half, as well as 1d6 acid damage per round as well as 1d6 damage for 3 rounds after emersion ends. Additionally, for each round a person in metal armor is immersed in the water, they suffer effects equivalent to a heat metal spell – at least until the armor finishes dissolving in the acid.

This is the lair of a lonely Dadannashee who styles herself Lady Inimavatra. She will use her powers of planeswalking and magic to hide at the further end of the pool before making a dramatic entrance.

While you are observing the pool, a figure suddenly appears quite near you in the middle of a bursting bubble of steam. It is a feminine creature with fine slender elfin features and skin the color of brass and long hair like blackened brass plastered randomly to her body. She is entirely nude save for a long chain of gold loosely wound several times around her neck and a similar chain about her waist. Her eyes smolder with a dull reddish glow like coals in a fireplace. Only her torso extends above the water, but she appears to be about 4 feet tall but with the presence of something older and greater than her size. She swims easily in the boiling water in apparent perfect comfort, and gives everyone a wide and joyful smile.

“Well met travelers, and welcome to my home. I am the Lady Inimavatra, the nymph of this humble spring. Seldom do I receive visitors that wish to bathe in its waters.”

Lady Inimavatra is currently aching for a consort (or victim, depending on your perspective) and a change of scenery from this dull cavern. To that end she will present herself to the most comely person who might find her attractive as an ally and implicitly a potential lover. She will even offer to turn over to them her treasure, recovered from the depths of the pool if in exchange she is allowed to accompany them. She will extol her many virtues and the benefits of doing so, promising even in extremity to be the person’s slave. Inimavatra speaks seelie, unseelie, and Mokoheen.

Lady Iminavatra the Dadannashee; CR 6; Small Fey [Aquatic, Fire]; HD 8d6+4 (32 hp); Init: +2 (Dex); Spd; 30 Ft./Swim: 15 ft.: AC 13 (+2 Dex, +1 Size); Attack: +2 melee bite (1d2); SA: Songs, spell-like ability, vampiric kill: SQ: low-light vision, SR 11, Acid Resistance 15, Fire Resistance 15, waterbreathing; AL NE; SV Fort +4. Reflex +10, Will +11; Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 18; Skills: Bluff +9, Empathy (Animal) +9, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Escape Artist +5, Hide +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +8, Sense Motive +6, Spot +10, Survival +7, Swim: +8; Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Fire Spirit, Great Fortitude, Pond Spirit.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will: ghost sound, prestidigitation, speak with animals; 3/day: animate water, acid slap, disguise self; 1/Day: detect magic, disguise object, fire spark, flaming sphere, mage hand, shape water, ventriloquism
Song of Domination (Su): Characters within 60’ hearing Velea's song must succeed in a Will save (DC 14) or be affected by a dominate person spell for 2d4 days.
Song of Inspiration (Su): Allies within 60’ receive a +2 competence bonus on all attack rolls or skill checks with a particular skill as long as the Dananshee continues to sing. Inspire competence is a supernatural, mind-affecting ability.
Psychic Vampirism (Su): Dadannashee feed off of the lust, rage, and passion of willing hosts. If any ally or thrall experiences extremes of rage, lust, or passion in her presence, she gains 5 temporary hit points. These hit points last for up to 24 hours, but do not stack.
Vampiric Kiss (Su): When a dadannashee first kisses a willing or dominated victim, that victim immediately takes 1d6 cold damage as the heat is drained from their body. Unless such draining reduces them below 0 h.p., the victim may not notice or feel the chill immediately. Unless the dananshee has tired of the victim, the cold draining attack is not typically continued but it may be continued for a number of rounds equal to the Dadannashee’s HD per day. The total hit points so drained are applied to the dadannashee as temporary hit points and stack with other sources. In addition, any creature that is the victim of this attack is drained of 2 Wis unless they can make a DC 14 Will save (which also may provoke a madness save in the weak willed). This wisdom does not return so long as the victim is the thrall of the dadannashee, and is treated as wisdom lost to madness (allowing the creature to function even if reduced to zero wisdom). However, for so long as the creature is suffering from this wisdom drain, they are filled with a passion for their work which grants them a +5 competence bonus on all Perform skill checks, all Craft skill checks, and all Knowledge checks related to research or creative activities. This is a charisma based attack.

If attacked, Lady Inimavatra will by no means fight to the death or expose herself to battle, but flee to the far end and bottom of the boiling pool (10’ deep) to hide. She protects herself using her magical abilities, particularly animating the acidic water to attack the trespassers.

Inimavatra’s treasure lies at the bottom far end of the pool, safe from trespassers and even inquisitive fire drakes. It consists of 1 treasure share of gold coins and 1 treasure share of brightly polished silver coins.

Inimavatra is a very cunning and dangerous fey who will ultimately seek to kill (and eat) whatever companions she has, at least once she tires of them. In the short term, she’ll use her charm powers to gain control over the majority of the party while using her emotional vampirism to feed on her chosen victim and degrade their ability to reason and resist her further charms. She will also try to disrupt party sleep and generally weaken the party. Once she has the majority of the party in her grasp, she’ll turn the party against those she doesn’t control and kill them. Her long term goal is to acquire the parties treasure and find a new lair preferably one nearer to regular sources of food and entertainment. Once so transported, she’ll feast on her victims after encouraging them to various suicidal tasks to prove their love for her. However, because she relies on the party for protection, she will not kill the entire party until she feels secure and has exhausted their utility.

Area E [CR 1-3 Obstacle]
The passage you are in is about 20’ wide and equally tall, being roughly tubular. Scalding water runs down the middle of the passage, leaving very little room to cling to banks on either side. The passage continues on, becoming narrower, steeper, and more treacherous, but to either side there are substantial ledges about 5 feet off the floor. Those to the right side of the passage appear to go nowhere, and form mere alcoves of the main passage, but the ones to the left form a substantial passage perpendicular to the one you are in that is about 20 feet wide and 5 feet high.

Walking along the passage requires a DC 7 balance check. Failure sends the character sliding into the scalding water, suffering the effects of going prone in the stream described below. The stream can be crossed without harm if the player is booted and quick footed, but requires a DC 12 balance check as haste is required. If haste is not used or the character is unshod, the person suffers 1d4 fire damage from the boiling water and suffers the effects of caltrop damage. Actually falling prone in the water causes 2d6 fire damage, DC 10 Fort save for half. Additionally, for each round a person in metal armor is immersed in the water, they suffer effects equivalent to a heat metal spell.

Climbing up to a higher ledge successfully is a DC 7 climb check. Failure by 5 or more indicates the character falls back into the stream, taking no damage for the fall, but are now in the scalding water. If this easier path is used, award XP only for a CR 1 obstacle.

Continuing up the passage is even more difficult. About 30 feet further on, the passage narrows to about 10’ wide and the ledges to either side become choked with cave formations in the form of curtains and columns. There is no passage further on except in the stream, which is now calf high and more turbulent, and balance checks from this point go to DC 9. Caltrop damage is automatic at this point. At the top of this section the passage returns to something more like its former state, and continues as such all the way to cascade of boiling water and the junction of area F3 and Area G.

Area F [CR 2 Obstacle]
This area consists of three similar sized irregular rooms (F1, F2, and F3), each about 20-30’ wide and 40-50’s long, with a ceiling that averages just over 5’ high. Because of the low ceiling, taller medium sized creatures are forced to stoop and have double the usual fumble threat range and take a -1 circumstance penalty to their attack rolls, damage, and AC. Additionally, when first entering the area, the stench is severe enough that characters must make a DC 5 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1d3 rounds and then be sickened until they leave the caves. On success, they are sickened for a single round only.

Room F1 joins the upper and lower passages of Area E, as well as room F1. Room F2 joins area A as well as rooms F1 and F3. Room F3 joins room F2, as well as the very end of the Area E passage and Area G.

Each room normally serves as the sleep chamber of 1d2 fire drakes, and they will be found here if they have fled the exterior of the cavern. The rooms are very hot and stuffy, and drip with moisture. The rooms stink of rotten egg, but are kept clean and largely sterile of growths by generous application of the drake’s breath weapon. If cornered in these rooms, the fire drakes will fight to the death.

F1
This room is shaped roughly like an arrow point, with its broader end pointing deeper into the cave. It’s perhaps 20 feet wide and 50 long but the ceiling is a mere 5 feet. On two sides it ledges, broken irregularly by pillars of stone, overlook the principle stream passage. The middle of the third side connects to a further inner room. The room is largely barren of formations, and stinks severely of rotten eggs to the point of being choking repulsive and causing you eyes to water. Circular impressions in the floor of the room made of ash and mud give the impression of being nests or beds, and there is a scattering of objects of interest in each.

This room has numerous treasures split among three nests: a brightly painted fired pottery fish statuette weighing 8lbs (56 cp.), a corroded silver hairpin set with a huge black opal larger than a man’s thumb (126 s.p.), a large ivory canopic jar made from a mammoth’s tusk carved with the head of a frog and sealed with lead (weighs 20lb, worth 80 s.p.), a corroded brass gong about 2’ in diameter and weighing about 12lbs (worth 3 s.p.), a small amethyst (54 c.p.), 4 large agate cabochons (9 c.p. each), a sturdy blue pottery flagon decorated in relief worth with starfish (4 lb, worth 20 c.p.), a small black pearl (37 s.p.), a large primitive pottery jar in the form of a coiled snake (15 lb, 15 c.p.), a large pottery dish painted with serpents (14 lb, 84 cp) and a tattered feather headdress (worth but 1 c.p.), Sealed in the ivory jar are the preserved scalp, heart, skull, and liver of a long dead shaman as well as a smooth purple stone that appears to be amestyst and worth 30 s.p. It is actually a purple ioun stone which if properly employed by an arcane spellcaster will protect against 4th level or lower spells and absorb up to 20 spell levels before burning out to a light grey color, at which point it grants an extra 0th level spell slot.

F2
This room is roughly shaped like a right triangle, with each point being an exit from the room. It is perhaps 30’ wide and 50’ long. The right angle and most of the shorter length of the room adjacent to it consists of narrow ledges overlooking a stream passage on a slightly lower level. The other two points connect to rooms of a generally similar description. The room is empty of stone formations, save for a tufa rock pyramid about 3’ high which is belching vapor and steam. Circular impressions in the floor of the room made of ash and mud give the impression of being nests or beds, and there is a scattering of objects of interest in each.

Characters in the same space as the smoker take 1d6 fire damage, DC 10 reflex save for half.

This room has but two nests each with but a single treasure. The first is a chipped blood red pottery goblet of unknown workmanship decorated with strange tentacles and fishlike eyeballs (5lb, worth 8 c.p.). The second is a broad bladed obsidian spear (worth 5 s.p. due to poor condition).

F3
This room is roughly trapezoidal, about 30’ deep and about 40’ wide. It’s open to one side to stream passage on a slightly lower level, and where the passage and the chamber meet, there is a cascade of steaming water about 8’ high and 15’ broad tumbling down flowstone at about a 45 degree angle. Beyond the cascade and at roughly the same level as this chamber, there is a further chamber consisting of a pool of boiling water. Opposite this area, roof of the chamber lowers until it is only about 3’ high. In this area there is an irregular growth of minerals that is belching steam. Elsewhere Circular impressions in the floor of the room made of ash and mud give the impression of being nests or beds, and there is a scattering of objects of interest in each.

This room likewise has but two nests with but a few treasures. This first is a terra cotta bowl decorated with tadpoles and weighing about 20lb (worth 48 c.p.). The bowl contains a rent and soiled captain’s jacket made of cloth of gold (worth 10 s.p.). Appraisal DC 25 recognizes this as made for a member of the Tethyrian Imperial household, but there is no indication of who it might belong to. The other nest contains a primitive necklace made of raptor claws and sinew (worth 10 c.p.).

Area G [CR 3 Obstacle]
Owing to the general difficulty of reaching this point, for each character that reaches this point and returns out of the caverns alive, award an additional 10 XP bonus, even if they don’t negotiate the hazards of the pool.

This oval room, roughly 20’ deep and 60’ broad, is completely filled with a shallow pool of boiling water, the bottom of which is covered with rings of dark purple, azure blue, and bright orange minerals and heat loving algae. The far reaches of the pool can be barely seen through the thick haze.

In the shallow depths of the closer end of the pool, where the water is only about 2’ deep, the fire drakes are incubating clutches of eggs, which if all goes well are soon to hatch (in 1d6 days’ time). There are a total of 49 eggs, each of which is a sphere roughly 7” across and contains a diminutive and largely helpless fire drake (Treat as a minidrake, but with a -6 DEX penalty, and unable to fly. Additionally, if broken open prematurely, the young drake will also be blind and must make a DC 10 Fort save or take 1d6 CON damage.) Spotting the mottled eggs and recognizing them for what they are and not simply mineral encrusted stones is a DC 16 search check if someone takes the time to inspect the pool bottom (or DC 11 if they can probe by hand in the water). Getting the eggs out of the shallow water is a more difficult matter, as wading requires DC 5 balance check and is subject to automatic caltrop damage and similar damage applies to handling the eggs without protective gear. Actually falling in the water or emersion causes 2d6 fire damage, DC 10 Fort save for half. Additionally, for each round a person in metal armor is immersed in the water, they suffer effects equivalent to a heat metal spell. The majority of eggs are not within reach of even a 10’ pole. Spells such as mage hand or unseen servant may be useful. Destroying the pernicious brood is worth 50 XP to anyone who is not especially fond of dragons, while rearing them gains a like bonus to those that are. In either case, award obstacle XP for the room if the eggs are found and dealt with accordingly.
Preserved intact eggs are worth 1 g.p. each on the open market, and live fire drake young are worth 5 g.p. a piece to a collector of rare animals – though no one individual collector will desire to purchase more than 1d12 live drakes owing to the limited market for such creatures. Caring for such creatures is difficult, as they suffer from cold at temperatures below 90 degrees, grow quickly, eat only cooked meat and that in quantities twice expected for their size, and cannot be stopped from belching flames to practice their breath weapon, or from trying to eat any sibling which falls behind in growth. They are otherwise tamable at the normal difficulties for taming drakes or beasts.

Remove ads