D&D (2024) Sharp shooter/Great Weapon Mastery

They also took away crossbow expert/single hand crossbow which I'm pretty sure was unintentional (and risibly broken when combined with SS) and Polearm Master with a one handed weapon. And rogues making offturn sneak attacks and using weapon cantrips.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I feel that I need more time to read this, because there are a lot of moving parts. (edit: thus this is just an impression, I could be wrong!)

But it really takes a bite out of the archery style of combat (I don't mean the game term, but the general meaning). Because of archery style (now I mean the feat) +2 to hit helped compensate for the -5 of SS, it made archery extremely good at DPS. With the nerf of both SS and crossbow expert, archers will not be so dominant perhaps?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I feel that I need more time to read this, because there are a lot of moving parts.

But it really takes a bite out of the archery style of combat (I don't mean the game term, but the general meaning). Because of archery style (now I mean the feat) +2 to hit helped compensate for the -5 of SS, it made archery extremely good at DPS. With the nerf of both SS and crossbow expert, archers will not be so dominant perhaps?

God I hope so.

The +2 in Archery style was likely there to counter-act the shooting into melee penalty when playing without feats..? Feats obviously change that math, since you can just get rid of cover altogether.

Archery is always the easier mode, so it should be less rewarding. I just wish it did something notably different from melee, besides not having to walk to targets.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
They also took away crossbow expert/single hand crossbow which I'm pretty sure was unintentional (and risibly broken when combined with SS) and Polearm Master with a one handed weapon. And rogues making offturn sneak attacks and using weapon cantrips.
Assuming hand crossbows are still light, you shouldn’t need the feat to dual-wield them now with the new wording of the light property (note that it doesn’t specify that they have to be melee attacks). The Feat just allows you now to add your prof bonus to the damage of the second attack when you do so.

squibbles

Adventurer
Ya, it seems like a lot of features which are powerful in ways that the designers likely did not intend have been nerfed.

Simultaneously, a lot of very weak feats have been buffed, mostly by making them half feats.

It seems to me that this is both good and bad. Good in the sense that it's nice to have a wide variety of equally powerful options. But it could also be bad if martials now no longer have anything that is as good as GWM/PAM and CE/SS and don't get other features that compensate for that loss of power.

I realize it's kind of a bomb-throwing move to bring this up, but won't that just further weaken martials relative to casters? The rogue, for example, seems to me to be less strong overall--though I may have misunderstood elements of it on my first readthrough. Meanwhile, the Bard and (particularly) the Ranger seem to have gotten more spells prepared than they used to have spells known.

--edit--
Just to clarify:

Good riddance to GWM/PAM and CE/SS bananas damage numbers, I just hope that something more is added to counterbalance their removal over and above the improvements to, say, charger, durable, etc.

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I really like these. I will take them. They are flavorful and good…but not too good.

And no extra calculation to get more damage. (-5? Nope, just a hit. Seems smooth and quick),

Horwath

Legend
Only feats that I do not like are Fighting styles.

Why are those "full" feats?
Is if because of archery?
Then balance it out.
Maybe +proficiency bonus to damage on ranged weapons would be better than +2 to attack with a +1 ASI??
also GW fighting style is still horrible. Even as half feat I would not take it. Ever.

Assuming hand crossbows are still light, you shouldn’t need the feat to dual-wield them now with the new wording of the light property (note that it doesn’t specify that they have to be melee attacks). The Feat just allows you now to add your prof bonus to the damage of the second attack when you do so.
The problem I'm talking about isn't dual wielding crossbows with the loading issues involved. It was that in the current rules you get the bonus action attack from just using a single hand crossbow with no weapon in your other hand. You then combine this hand crossbow attack (with no penalty in melee thanks to Crossbow Expert) with the Sharpshooter feat, the +2 from Archery style offsetting the -5 from Sharpshooter - and you get three really powerful (+10 damage) and not that inaccurate attacks per turn. It's easy to use, ranged, and very hard hitting.

Remove ads