• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General She Rolled Two 18s.

GreyLord

Legend
Can you give me a page number for that.

Sure thing. It is in the PHB (1e) page 9. It is the first paragraph around the fifth sentence in.

It is under the heading Character Abilities.

It says

Furthermore, it is usually essential to the characters's survival to be exceptional (with a rating of 15 or above) in no fewer than two ability characteristics.

Sadras

Legend
I'm pretty sure not many women would feel genuinely relaxed in an environment where guys say things like Richards did. If he knows your wife well enough to joke around like that, great. That's awesome, honestly. He can do it outside the bounds of a public forum though.

Many women in my circle would have found that humourous too, especially the roleplayers.

Secondly I don't think you should be white-knighting this thread by being the self-appointed spokesperson for what many women may or may not like. That is far worse than some 'pretend-crude' comment.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
We have identical (at least from that angle) cats! ;)

Fairly common colour scheme. Went to SPCA adopted the friendliest ones we found.

Lardball 2.0.
IMG_20191217_111148.jpg

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sure thing. It is in the PHB (1e) page 9. It is the first paragraph around the fifth sentence in.

"Furthermore, it is usually essential to the characters's survival to be exceptional (with a rating of 15 or above) in no fewer than two ability characteristics."
That's hardly a rule, though - it's more of a warning to players who don't roll well that their choices, and possibly lifespan, will be limited.

IME having at least one 15+ is essential; the very few characters I've seen start out with a high of 14 or less generally didn't do well at all. But, depending on class having just one high stat and a bunch of middlin's e.g. 17-13-12-12-11-9 can work out just fine.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's hardly a rule, though - it's more of a warning to players who don't roll well that their choices, and possibly lifespan, will be limited.

IME having at least one 15+ is essential; the very few characters I've seen start out with a high of 14 or less generally didn't do well at all. But, depending on class having just one high stat and a bunch of middlin's e.g. 17-13-12-12-11-9 can work out just fine.

We fudged dice a lot in Pre 3E. 15 was like a 13 in modern D&D.

B/X less pressure 3 13's was playable.

Prefer B/X and d20 ability scores over AD&D.

AD&D (1e) also had a similar rule. If you did not roll at least two ability scores which were 15 or over it was suggested that you roll up a new character.

That can make a LOT of characters rolled up sometimes if someone repeatedly does not have two ability scores over 15.
That's interesting. I started with 2E, and the both times in recent years I tried gaming in 1e games they insisted on 'playing it by the book' and rolling 3d6 in order.

It did feel like a tedious and masochistic exercise both times.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We fudged dice a lot in Pre 3E. 15 was like a 13 in modern D&D.

B/X less pressure 3 13's was playable.

Prefer B/X and d20 ability scores over AD&D.
I don't like d20's linear bonus advancement. B/X did it quite well IMO. 1e-2e probably goes too far the other way, where bonuses don't kick in soon enough, though I keep it for reasons of a) tradition and b) that we have a fairly generous roll-up system (5d6 drop 2).

Fudging the dice will get you tossed real quick. Zero tolerance for that here.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't like d20's linear bonus advancement. B/X did it quite well IMO. 1e-2e probably goes too far the other way, where bonuses don't kick in soon enough, though I keep it for reasons of a) tradition and b) that we have a fairly generous roll-up system (5d6 drop 2).

Fudging the dice will get you tossed real quick. Zero tolerance for that here.

Yeah we don't fudge the dice it's tough luck now or you can do point buy or default array. Not making people roll it's an option.

If we are gonna fudge as such well use type V in UA 1E. Normally only use that if AD&D one offs, very small parties etc.

Best I've pulled off is 3 18s. Once in 25 years. Think that was on 3d6.

Might have been 3 17s and18 and after racials got to 18s.

Only rule for rolled stats I use is roll in front of me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I actually asked for- and got to play- a 1Ed human fighter named Bear: all physical stats maxed, all mental stats at 6. Essentially a gentle giant type who was the bodyguard for the party’s thief.

Fun to play...because of the RP dynamic, not because of the stats. Bear did what he was told, and that sometimes put the thief’s goals and objectives ahead of the party’s.

Remove ads