Sheet help: Genasi Wizard info?

fireinthedust

Explorer
So I want to play a fire Genasi wizard (local boy infused with elemental energy (not a Jade guy, just jaded)).

I looked over the sheet (and the lazy option :lol:) and I noticed a number of code bits with "DD insider" that I'd have to put down.

I don't know from code.

I wonder if there are code bits I need to put in, especially for Firesoul Genasi, so everything doesn't screw up.

Any advice?

This is my first L4W attempt. Never even done RPGA.

CaBaNa

First Post
Welcome to ENworld, it's a lovely place, I'm sure someone who knows code better than me will be able to help you!

My only suggestion is to find another (preferably approved) wizard, and copy them over instead of the sample character from the lazy option.
Then look at any other Genasi characters to see what they did code wise...

I like the idea of your character though, sounds awesome! :D

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
If you are a D&Di subscriber; simply use the compendium to search for what you want, then right click on the class/power/item you want and open the info page in a seperate tab/window. Then copy-paste the page address into you character sheet replacing the url thats there.

Just in case you don't have the subscription, for genasi you just need to change the number at the end of the url that's already in the code from 7 to 33 (and change the word human to genasi).

SeaPainter

First Post
Yes, welcome to L4W... both you and Fragsie (even though Cross is now saddened, because he's not the only tiefling character anymore...)

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I didn't reply before because I was a little confused about what you meant. But I think I get it now ;)

You're referring to links to the DDI Compendium for powers, feats, etc? They really aren't essential. The character that the sample character is a copy of was built when DDI was still free, so the compendium links were sort of a no-brainer. Now, though, not all of the character checkers have a subscription. If you have a subscription and want to do it, then by all means go ahead, but your character approval won't hang on that ;)

And, of course, welcome to L4W to both fireinthedust and Fragsie. :D

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Thanks everyone!

I don't have DDI subscription as I can't afford it right now, having spent all my money on books and also frivolous things like food and rent.

I've edited the 33 and Genasi thing (thanks there).

Question: where the dickens do I post this guy when I'm done, for approval?

Second Question: Why isn't there a character generator out there to do this for me? I mean, like that one fellow has that I plug in numbers to and out pops a character sheet? I'm lazy, which is why I always DM (less math, I use the MM; 3.x was miserable for me) :p
my theory is the code and such are complex to keep players of pbp from frivolously joining and skipping town. Brilliant.

Comment: the Wiki is hard to find and navigate, lots of grammar errors and sentences that go nowhere, and Genasi are mentioned but not listed with other races (ok by me, as Amral is unique). I also don't quite understand the floating isles: are they rocks floating in the ocean, or is the undersea bed morphic stone?
Likewise, is there an Elemental Chaos? Is the cosmology basically the same, or is everything Prime Material with some "super-worldly" aspects (like the Feywild: folded space outside the normal world)?

also: are there named NPCs I should know for my history? Like a school of mages in Daunton? I've glossed over it, in case mine is one I get to make up.

I like what I'm reading, and it seems fun so far.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Thanks everyone!

I don't have DDI subscription as I can't afford it right now, having spent all my money on books and also frivolous things like food and rent.

I've edited the 33 and Genasi thing (thanks there).

Question: where the dickens do I post this guy when I'm done, for approval?

That's described in this post.

Second Question: Why isn't there a character generator out there to do this for me? I mean, like that one fellow has that I plug in numbers to and out pops a character sheet? I'm lazy, which is why I always DM (less math, I use the MM; 3.x was miserable for me) :p

Because Wizards would sue the pants off anyone who released a character creator - making sure you have to buy the books and/or DDI to get enough details to make a character is how they make their money.

Comment: the Wiki sucks

Yeah. The main problem is the enworld servers are so slowoverloaded, so editing the wiki is painful. If it was easier to work with somebody would go through and clean it up.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Wiki: I didn't say it sucks, but yeah. True that!

Powers: I don't know where to get them from. Am I supposed to copy the whole power from the book, or add a link from someone else? I'll try the lazy wizard version... hope it works.

EDIT: yep, it's working, but now the first half of the sheet is weird... meh, 230am where I am... going to sleeeeep (ironically, one of my dailies)

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
To expand a bit on what JNC said:
Second Question: Why isn't there a character generator out there to do this for me? I mean, like that one fellow has that I plug in numbers to and out pops a character sheet?
Also because it would require a significant investment of time and effort on the part of someone(s), for a very limited payoff. (There's, what, 60 characters that have been made for L4W so far? In just about a year?) It also requires knowledge of some sort of computer programming, depending on the implementation, and a place to host either a web-based application or the downloadable program. Lastly, it requires that some sort of base standard sheet be defined even more rigorously than is already the case.

Bottom line: for the scope of L4W, an automated character generator is a lot more headache than it's worth. At least right now.

Comment: the Wiki is hard to find and navigate, lots of grammar errors and sentences that go nowhere, and Genasi are mentioned but not listed with other races (ok by me, as Amral is unique). I also don't quite understand the floating isles: are they rocks floating in the ocean, or is the undersea bed morphic stone?
Likewise, is there an Elemental Chaos? Is the cosmology basically the same, or is everything Prime Material with some "super-worldly" aspects (like the Feywild: folded space outside the normal world)?

also: are there named NPCs I should know for my history? Like a school of mages in Daunton? I've glossed over it, in case mine is one I get to make up.

I like what I'm reading, and it seems fun so far.
JNC pretty much nailed the reason the wiki is the way it is. That, and we're all super busy ;) There was talk a while ago about reorganizing it, but it never happened, unfortunately.

To answer your setting-related questions:
1. Genasi aren't mentioned mostly because they only got approved as a PC race about a month ago. That's like yesterday in PbP-time. There was a discussion about a possible origin for them (that I don't think made it into the wiki), which covaithe used in the background for his new genasi swordmage. Unfortunatley, I'm too lazy at the moment to find links for you ... maybe later.

2. As far as I understand, the general cosmology is the same as the assumptions in the 4e core books. IE, there is a Feywild and Shadowfell which are both reflections of the material plane, and there is an Elemental Chaos and Astral Sea. Our prime material plane is just really messed up ;)

3. The way in which the islands are attached to the sea floor (or not) has purposefully been left vague. A lot of the setting has purposefully been left vague. This allows for some mystery, and allows for players and DMs to be less constrained when creating stories and adventures. Again, it's a little messed up - I'd recommend not thinking too much about it unless it becomes important for some reason ;)

4. I have no idea if there's any sort of organized mage's guild in Daunton or not. There is a district filled with arcane/lore/etc related people, called Cobblestop (or at least Cobble-something). Arga the Black was a famous mage that saved the city a while back, and her on-time apprentice was in the Five. Other than that, I don't know much else. Again, I'm feeling a little lazy at the moment, or else I'd hunt down links for references for you. Maybe later ...

Hope that helps!

Edit: Wow ... a little verbal diarrhea there ...

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
If you're interested, an attempt at a cosmology (but by no means the "official" one of the setting)is in the "Religion" section, towards the end.

Remove ads